|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on towing a 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sarah8 wrote:

Wow, lots to think about. Yes, I really want to stay with a 250. The truck will be my daily driver for errands and carpools. Still trying to swallow giving up the SUV. However, I am definitely looking at all the numbers. It's amazing what truck salesmen don't know. Having to get a bigger truck is on the negative side of choosing a 5th wheel over trailer. However, that 5th wheel sure offers more. Also, I don't plan on going bigger. This will be our 5th trailer. We have 2 big teenagers now. Like I mentioned before a really small travel trailer is my first choice but right now I want the double bunks. Thanks, so much to think about.

Not sure why you have the idea that a 3/4 ton would be any different for errands and carpooling then a 1 ton , there is not . Basically the same truck with better towing capacities. I don’t know how many stories we have read like yours , and have wished they would have went with the 1 ton .

I’m surprised more haven’t chimed in with even a long bed etc etc . Myself the 1 ton crew cab short bed diesel is the only way to go . Even that limits me going any bigger on a fifth wheel.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Why all the advice on 250/2500, knowing full well the 1 ton is the better choice in many ways [emoticon]

" Really hoping to get by with a 3/4. It says hitch weight is 1338 with a GVWR of 10195."
^^^^^
Above per OP statement

Any late model 3/4 ton will easily handle this trailer, without even being close to going over ratings.

If someone asking, was absolutely considering a truck, that in my opinion was not safe/capable, I'd be the first to advise them of a better choice!

In many states GVWR is just a class regulation for insurance/registration. In states that do consider GVWR for registration, you only need to pay for it. Now you are good for 12k GVWR on your 25 series truck. It is the axle/tire ratings that matter, and if the tires are up to it, yes, bags can make the 3/4 ton do any job the 35 series SRW will do. If you see a bigger FW in your future, such as Russ may be considering, then get the 35 series DRW now and be done.

If you are considering a FW with a GVWR of 15K, yes, I'd say get the 35 series SRW as a minimum, and if full time is in your future, a long bed DRW truck a better choice.

Everyone does not need a bigger truck than needed for the FW they are wanting to buy!

Jerry

Well the 1,338# DRY pin on a GVWR of 10,195# at GVWR pin could be 2,020# at 20%.
Granted in Oregon I don’t pay any more for our 3500 DRW, than we pay for our PT Cruiser.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your situation is similar to ours. I had to convince my wife to give up the Yukon as a daily driver and go the the 2500 HD. It didn't take long for her to love driving the truck. You can do much more with a truck. We put a roll up tonneau cover so she could still put stuff in the bed and not get wet or fly out. As others have said, for a daily driver there really is no difference between a 2500 and 3500, but you would see a difference between a 6' bed and 8' bed. I wish I had the 8' bed as you can haul more and it is better for heavier loads.

On the bunk house part, we have a bunk house. There are lots of options these days. I just saw a new design that has the rear bunk with a queen bed on the bottom and a loft. Looked like a great design, even a rear 1/2 bath. Would sure help with teenagers. I have a friend that went with a front living room because the couches opened up to a bigger bed than the typical bunk house and their son is very tall, couldn't fit in a kid bed. That is one reason we have looked at Toy Haulers. We don't really have toys but the rear area could be a great bed room for a couple rowdy boys. However, TH's are very heavy up front especially without toys. You would need a DRW for that. At least for one with a rear garage that is closed off.

Good Luck, looks like you have a lot of advice on this forum.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Well the 1,338# DRY pin on a GVWR of 10,195# at GVWR pin could be 2,020# at 20%."

^^^^^
Agree, worst case, yes it could be 2,020 at full GVWR. What's the problem???
Any 3/4 ton, even an older model can easily carry that, plus a 200 lb hitch on a rear axle with 6-6.5K RAWR available.

OP could buy your old, IIRC, 2,001 2500 and carry 2k pin, 200 lb hitch, and a load of fire wood, still be under axle/tire rating. Many 25 series trucks have a 6,500 lb RA rating.

My 250 can carry my FW GVWR 12,110, if loaded to capacity while staying under every rating, including my payload.

OP just stated again they want a 250, which will work great. If they wanted a 350, I'd tell them that will work great. If they NEEDED a DRW, I would suggest they go that route.

Nice to see a little activety on the FW forum, even if it's just banter!

Jerry

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sarah8 wrote:

Thank you, I am loving reading people's opinions.

When anyone mentions a 3/4 ton truck pulling a 5th wheel trailer you get opinions all over the place depending on what truck is owned.

You won't need a one ton anything to tow the size trailer your looking at. A 3/4 ton Ford/GM or Ram will serve you well.

Having owned several of both trucks mentioned and even made a living using both.... there can be a big difference in ride quality especially if you live in a rural area like myself where county roads are very bouncy and all sizes of potholes in the road.

Most late model 3/4 ton trucks are the same as a one ton srw truck..execpt The one ton srw has a heavier rated rear spring pack and can be a butz kicker over the 3/4 ton when empty as a DD vehicle.

The 2500 GMC/chevy trucks have the best numbers up to 11500 gvwr and those big 6600 rawr for carrying weight.

The 2500 Ram has rear coil spring suspension rated up to 6500 rawr depending on models. Some owners like the softer empty ride vs leaf springs.

Ford F250s are no slouch either with up to 10800 gvwr and 6340 rawr. Choose the camper package or heavy service package and you get the same suspension as the F350 srw.

Gas or diesel is your choice.

The 7.3 gas Ford...6.6 GM gas and 6.4 Hemi gas engines will handle that size trailer with ease.

I tow a 11200 lb 5er with a old '03 quad cab short bed 2500 Dodge/Cummins. No stress...no worn out feeling after a 12 hour hard run.... and under all legal weights.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one ton SRW is exactly the same truck as a HD 3/4 ton other than the addition of an overload leaf in the rear spring pack of the one ton which only comes into play when a heavy load is placed in the bed. If I wanted a small 5ver I’d pull it with a half ton. If I needed more truck than that I’d get a one ton SRW. I have yet to hear an argument for buying a 3/4 ton that sound reasonable to me. I prefer pulling a fifth wheel but I’ve never pulled a tag trailer using a good weight distribution set up. My thoughts are that a tag with a Hensley Arrow would likely tow as good as a fifth wheel. A tag trailer allows you to have room in the bed of your truck to haul a quad or motorcycle or stuff.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

MFL wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Why all the advice on 250/2500, knowing full well the 1 ton is the better choice in many ways [emoticon]

" Really hoping to get by with a 3/4. It says hitch weight is 1338 with a GVWR of 10195."
^^^^^
Above per OP statement

Any late model 3/4 ton will easily handle this trailer, without even being close to going over ratings.

If someone asking, was absolutely considering a truck, that in my opinion was not safe/capable, I'd be the first to advise them of a better choice!

In many states GVWR is just a class regulation for insurance/registration. In states that do consider GVWR for registration, you only need to pay for it. Now you are good for 12k GVWR on your 25 series truck. It is the axle/tire ratings that matter, and if the tires are up to it, yes, bags can make the 3/4 ton do any job the 35 series SRW will do. If you see a bigger FW in your future, such as Russ may be considering, then get the 35 series DRW now and be done.

If you are considering a FW with a GVWR of 15K, yes, I'd say get the 35 series SRW as a minimum, and if full time is in your future, a long bed DRW truck a better choice.

Everyone does not need a bigger truck than needed for the FW they are wanting to buy!

Jerry

Well the 1,338# DRY pin on a GVWR of 10,195# at GVWR pin could be 2,020# at 20%.
Granted in Oregon I don’t pay any more for our 3500 DRW, than we pay for our PT Cruiser.

I’m fully aware that the OP’s choice of fifth wheels the 3/4 ton will do nicely , but IMO a mistake. As said have seen it many times . I could care less once a year if I’m paying a few dollars more for registration. Here in Utah I have no idea if there is a difference in fees.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

"Well the 1,338# DRY pin on a GVWR of 10,195# at GVWR pin could be 2,020# at 20%."

^^^^^
Agree, worst case, yes it could be 2,020 at full GVWR. What's the problem???
Any 3/4 ton, even an older model can easily carry that, plus a 200 lb hitch on a rear axle with 6-6.5K RAWR available.

OP could buy your old, IIRC, 2,001 2500 and carry 2k pin, 200 lb hitch, and a load of fire wood, still be under axle/tire rating. Many 25 series trucks have a 6,500 lb RA rating.

My 250 can carry my FW GVWR 12,110, if loaded to capacity while staying under every rating, including my payload.

OP just stated again they want a 250, which will work great. If they wanted a 350, I'd tell them that will work great. If they NEEDED a DRW, I would suggest they go that route.

Nice to see a little activety on the FW forum, even if it's just banter!

Jerry

A little banter is great . We need a little more keeps it interesting, but usually it’s not allowed [emoticon]

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with a 1T over 3/4 for the reasons stated above. When comparing the price of a F250 to a F350T (no real difference), the fact that maneuverability is a wash they are the same, not being near the limit on payload, it just seemed like a no brainer. It made me question why the F250 exists. If the price is almost the same, The entire truck is the same with the exception of increased payload, why wouldn't you buy a 1T? I only know the Ford so I can't say if Chevy and Dodge have the same comparisons.

As far as engine, I looked at the new Godzilla in the Fords. Respectable numbers for sure. Mileage is a killer. I went with the reliable 6.7 turbo diesel and I couldn't be happier. Married to the 10 spd tranny I am getting 21 mpg + on the highway (16-18 towing our FW). I think the gas engine gets about half that. Understanding you pay quite a bit more for the diesel, but in my experience they hold their value longer and just last longer - but it's all relative. But the Godzilla isn't a bad choice by any means. It's a terrific engine.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couldn’t agree more , totally surprises me some of the responses, considering your response which seems obvious to many that know the score on the differences between the two . As you said , and IMO 3/4 tons don’t make a lot of sense .

* This post was edited 11/20/20 11:41am by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on towing a 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.