|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on towing a 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having made a living using them all I prefer a 3/4 ton HD which can handle 3000-3400 lb of load in the bed safely/legally. BTDT.
Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD.

Everyone has their likes/dislikes in truck sizes which is fine with me.
Any of the 3/4 ton truck will serve the OP with room to spare.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only comment is that watch what 5th wheel you purchase today using a 3/4-1 ton truck due to the fact that the newer trucks sit much higher in the rear and they can cause you to tow "nose high" with your trailer.
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Having made a living using them all I prefer a 3/4 ton HD which can handle 3000-3400 lb of load in the bed safely/legally. BTDT.
Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD.

No doubt as said the 3/4 ton will get the job done, nobody disagrees, but it has its limits .

I would like to see the numbers you claim on 3/4 ton has the same payload as the 1 ton, show me the numbers on any brand that has more payload , apples to apples, not different configurations, but the same truck .

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

We are talking the OP just getting into towing a 5er and asking questions.
There is no physical difference in the truck size between a 3/4 ton and a one ton STW, so the smart money is on getting the one ton.
It has slightly stronger springs and a higher GVWR and Payload.
I carried a 5er 1,700# over GVWR for years and never felt unsafe, but I never told or encouraged others to do the same.
I went for a 3500 DRW, because with what we carry in the truck a 3500 SRW with out 2,700# pin would be within a couple hundred pounds or even over GVWR of 12,300#.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I would like to see the numbers you claim on 3/4 ton has the same payload as the 1 ton, show me the numbers on any brand that has more payload , apples to apples, not different configurations, but the same truck .

Never said apples to apples truck configurations. I said quote.... "Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD."

Hell anyone that knows how to read Fleet Ford specs knows some F350 srw can have the same GVWR/RAWR as the F250 and the same payloads.

But you did bring up a good point of a loaded F350 SRW 6.7 crew cab 4wd 159" wb with a 2500 lb payload vs a F250 std cab long bed 6.7 2wd 141" wb with a 3450 lb payload.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Russ wrote:

There is no physical difference in the truck size between a 3/4 ton and a one ton STW, so the smart money is on getting the one ton.

Depending on new/used brands and year models and configurations and gvwr/rawr package the OP is looking at we have certain 3/4 ton trucks out here with more actual in the bed payloads or even GVWR based payloads than certain one ton srw trucks.

Like others have said the 3/4 ton HD will work fine for a 10000 gvwr 5th wheel trailer which certainly don't need a one ton srw...unless he just wants one.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Russ wrote:

Depending on new/used brands and year models and configurations and gvwr/rawr package the OP is looking at we have certain 3/4 ton trucks out here with more actual in the bed payloads or even GVWR based payloads than certain one ton srw trucks.

Like others have said the 3/4 ton HD will work fine for a 10000 gvwr 5th wheel trailer which certainly don't need a one ton srw...unless he just wants one.

Seems to me you are talking the way Ford plays games with GVWR’s!
Yep, Ford will sell you a F350 SRW with a 9,900# GVWR, or a 12,400# GVWR and several in between!
They will also sell you an F450 with a GVWR of 14,000# and an F350 DRW with a GVWR of 14,000# giving an about 300# payload advantage to the F350. [emoticon]

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be able to get an f250 that will comfortably handle your trailer but if you get the same truck with the f350 badge on it it will have an overload spring in the rear and a be able to comfortably carry more weight. What is the advantage of the f250? The price of the two trucks is almost identical.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Never said apples to apples truck configurations. I said quote.... "Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD."

Hell anyone that knows how to read Fleet Ford specs knows some F350 srw can have the same GVWR/RAWR as the F250 and the same payloads.

But you did bring up a good point of a loaded F350 SRW 6.7 crew cab 4wd 159" wb with a 2500 lb payload vs a F250 std cab long bed 6.7 2wd 141" wb with a 3450 lb payload.

Why are you bringing up different configurations. Let’s say the OP wants a crew cab short bed any brand ,the 1 ton in that truck is the higher payload , thats my point . Its simple here , get the 1 ton in the same truck , that’s what’s being said .

This is a family , at the least a crew cab , a std. cab is not even in the conversation, so I don’t get your point at all promoting a 3/4 ton .

You are the one reading the fleet ford specs, show the numbers . Same truck , 250,350 show me where the 2021 Ford Superduty SRW Crew Cab Lariat 250 has the same payload as the 350.

* This post was edited 11/22/20 10:54pm by cummins2014 *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2014 wrote:

Why are you bringing up different configurations. Let’s say the OP wants a crew cab short bed any brand ,the 1 ton in that truck is the higher payload , thats my point . Its simple here , get the 1 ton in the same truck , that’s what’s being said .

Again... reread what I said. The point I made was and still is not all one ton SRW brands have more payload than some brands of 3/4 ton trucks.
Your the one stuck on just using a single truck configurations.

However for your specific truck configuration which is a '21:fleet ford clicky

F250 crew cab 2wd 159" wb 7.3 gas shows a 3780 lb payload.

F350 srw crew cab 2wd 159" wb 7.3 gas shows a 3610 payload.
Both trucks have the same 10000 gvwrs.

I'm not going back and forth with you anymore. I've made my point about not all one ton srw truck brands have more payload vs a 3/4 ton truck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on towing a 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.