RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Battery Disconnect... What does it disconnect??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery Disconnect... What does it disconnect??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have had my trailer for 2 years and have a habit of always turning off the Batt disconnect if it's going to be parked for more than a week or two. Recently I started working on a few lighting upgrades to LED, adding LED strips etc and noticed all the lights still worked with the disconnect off. Checked a few other things... Slides worked, TV worked.... So what exactly does the disconnect actually disconnect? It is in my front compartment and it is definitely wired into something but no idea what. Fully understand there's no way for any of you to give a factual answer without testing, but just curious if there was an RV standard. Now I am plugged in to 110 at home right now so does the AC/DC converter skip the battery even for 12V items? If I was unplugged would most items (12v items) not longer work? Thanks!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the converter powers up the system even with battery disconnected.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I'll add that this is normally true, but not always. I had a 5th wheel that HAD to have a battery installed and connected for the converter to work. Without the battery (or with the battery disconnected), and while plugged in to shore power, no 12v anywhere but 120v was fine.

Didn't make any sense to me, but it was true. I'm not certain it was like that from the factory or if a previous owner did some re-wiring.

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I'll add that this is normally true, but not always. I had a 5th wheel that HAD to have a battery installed and connected for the converter to work. Without the battery (or with the battery disconnected), and while plugged in to shore power, no 12v anywhere but 120v was fine.

Didn't make any sense to me, but it was true. I'm not certain it was like that from the factory or if a previous owner did some re-wiring.

Actually that makes more sense as you are less likely to stress/overload the converter as the battery will smooth out up any heavy loads.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

put a disconnect right at the battery then things are dead and your battery will hold a charge much longer.east to install.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

put a disconnect right at the battery then things are dead and your battery will hold a charge much longer.east to install.
Added bonus you get to drive down the road with your emergency brakes disconected.

Hopefully people understand thats a joke. Be very careful about where you put the disconnect and how your system is setup while driving.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rdhetrick wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Actually that makes more sense as you are less likely to stress/overload the converter as the battery will smooth out up any heavy loads.

actually you guys are correct. the converter doesn't put out enough amps on its own to run a slide or power tongue jack. only the inside lights. the system nneds a battery to function properly.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a previous Class A that when plugged into shore power it would "bypass" my disconnect. In other words, with the disconnect on and not plugged in, nothing would work - as expected. But when I plugged in, everything worked, including all 12V. Not sure if that is the same as what you are explaining but it may help in some way.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" If I was unplugged would most items (12v items) not longer work?"

Not most, nothing in the trailer would work.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also - your battery disconnect may not be functioning correctly. As I recall mine is based on latching relay which has a couple of fuses. Probably worth a few minute to check whether your battery disconnect is working.

Kevin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery Disconnect... What does it disconnect??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.