|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Surge breaks on a dolly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Don’t want to discourage anyone from getting brakes but I have used a dolly without brakes for as long as I can remember with zero problems. I have hauled everything from an Excursion to my current Smart car. A DP like I have can stop it if it’s set up correctly.

I'm sure there are hundreds/thousands out there with the same story. doesn't affect my decision one iota.
bumpy

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP said he was going to use a two wheel dolly. Don't see why there would be any tire scrub with a two wheel dolly when turning.

Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

The OP said he was going to use a two wheel dolly. Don't see why there would be any tire scrub with a two wheel dolly when turning.

Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
Barney

If the wheels on dolly don't turn, or some other system in place so the wheelbase dolly/back axle can not change side to side, tires on back of car, or dolly will need to slide sideways to make a turn.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed: If the dolly has fixed platform AND the vehicle attached to it has the steering locked, you will get scrub when making turns due to the different tracks of each axle.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get it now. Thanks! Wasn't thinking straight this morning.
Also forgot to move it. Moving now.[emoticon]
Barney

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my dp motorhome I pulled an ACME dolly with surge brakes. You had to leave the steering wheel unlocked to keep from scrubbing the tires. I ran it about 10000 miles before I went to a four down car. I never had any issues with the dolly tires or anything like that. I think the ACME use inverted steering to avoid the scrub. If I was to go back to any type of dolly now, it would me an ACME.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class A motorhomes come in a vast range of weights and braking abilities. A small 12000 lb motorhome towing 4000 lbs of unbraked load will take a lot longer to stop. On a 50000 lb tandem axle motorhome, the weight difference and the stopping distance difference will be much less. It's never a bad idea to have brakes on the towed load, but it becomes a much better idea as the weight differential increases.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Class A motorhomes come in a vast range of weights and braking abilities. A small 12000 lb motorhome towing 4000 lbs of unbraked load will take a lot longer to stop. On a 50000 lb tandem axle motorhome, the weight difference and the stopping distance difference will be much less. It's never a bad idea to have brakes on the towed load, but it becomes a much better idea as the weight differential increases.

Brakes on any vehicle are designed to stop the GVWR, with a margin for safety. If the 50,000 lb MH in your example has a GVWR of 52,000 lbs, and you hang a 4,000 lbs un-braked on the back you are 2000 lbs into that safety margin. You would not want your kid in front of that rig. Why would you want to put somebodies else's kids there?

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

rjstractor wrote:

Brakes on any vehicle are designed to stop the GVWR, with a margin for safety. If the 50,000 lb MH in your example has a GVWR of 52,000 lbs, and you hang a 4,000 lbs un-braked on the back you are 2000 lbs into that safety margin. You would not want your kid in front of that rig. Why would you want to put somebodies else's kids there?

I am curious if there are any folks who will play the weight rating game, GVWR, etc. to avoid spending a few bucks on dolly brakes a true safety factor, and then in another thread spend funds to change clearance lights to LEDs which affect nothing, and stop lights which will cut a few seconds off of light activation time.
bumpy

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Your A’s brakes aren’t designed for an extra 4 to 5000 pounds.

Clairvoyant today?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Surge breaks on a dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.