|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Oven ignitor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

K Charles wrote:

When the pilot lite goes out the gas going to it shuts off. Why would you smell gas?
How would the pilot know to turn off its own gas supply?

Maybe because you aren't pushing the knob in, nor is the thermal switch activated.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lightning55 wrote:

I can't be the first guy to ask this question: Does anyone make a oven ignitor kit that can be added on? Every time my wife wants to use the oven she has to get down on her hands and knees to light the burner. She loves her trailer but hates the oven. I would be her hero if I could install an ignitor.

Actually they do. A couple of types. one uses a 9 volt battery and the other is a push button pizo device. You can find 'em at BBQ stores.

But mounting it may take a bit of .. ingenuity

The device consists of a power/control unit that generates a high voltage either by bending a crystal (pizo) or a battery inverter package (9 volt) a high voltage wire you route down to the wire lead that mounts near the burner (about a quarter inch from the pilot tube) the power unit has to be grounded to the pilot as well. }
I considered it but never quite got round to it.

Don't know how well it will work.

With such a device installed you still have to follow the pilot lighting instructions. Set to Pilot, Push and hold. Push the ignightor button.. Several times in the case of the Pizo. hold knob down for one full mintue. visually verify pilot lit (mirror can help) and then release knob. if pilot stays lit turn knob to 350 or whatever and JOY.

I wished to turn off water heater in my apartment and wonder of wonder it came with both a flame detector indicator and a pizo ignightor I was amazed. Worked too.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I haven't seen an RV oven with a pilot. Not that they don't exist, but I haven't seen one.

The oven in our last trailer was a nightmare to light. Our "new" trailer isn't so hard to light, but you still have to lean down there to see it.

Having an igniter would be fantastic.
Every RV I've ever owned used a pilot light in the oven; '79 Roll-a-Long, '88 Jamboree, '04 Itasca. In fact, I have a hard time believing that your current trailer (2015?) doesn't have an oven pilot light.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

K Charles wrote:

When the pilot lite goes out the gas going to it shuts off. Why would you smell gas?
How would the pilot know to turn off its own gas supply?
Thermocouple.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How would the pilot know to turn off its own gas supply?"
On our Suburban stove/oven, there is a safety device 'thermocoupler' on the supply line to the oven burner. The heat from the pilot light keeps the valve open, when the oven is being used or just the pilot on. If there was not a pilot light, or expensive electronic ignition, there wouldn't be any temperature control for the oven.
When you set the oven temp for 350, the burner will heat to 355+/- and then shut off, when temp drops to 345+/- the burner relights from the pilot light to maintain your cooking temp, same at in the oven at home, gas or electric.
If the pilot goes out, the thermocouple closes of all the gas.
On ours, the oven knob has markings for OFF, Pilot, and then the temperature settings 200-400 broil. I usually leave it in the off position, but if I know the oven will be used quite a bit, it's just left in the pilot position, very minimal gas use, minimal heat in the oven, just don't use the oven for storage of flammable items.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

12thgenusa

Loveland, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to my post of 2010 where I installed a battery powered ignitor for the stovetop burners and added a sparker for the oven pilot light. Sorry the picture links are all broken due to the demise of TinyPic and I no longer have the pictures to relink them.

It's still working great. I just open the oven door, hold the gas valve button in and press the ignitor button. You can see the reflection of the pilot flame in the bottom of the oven when it lights.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar,
Rogue MPT-3024, 440 AH GC2 bank, ProWatt 2000,100% LED lighting

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put one in our oven. Went to home depot, bought a replacement 4 burner ignitor kit for BBQ, which included one ignitor line with high temp insulation.

Used the kit to replace the existing 3 burner ignitors and added one to the oven.

Works like a charm. DW says it's one of the best mod's we've done to the trailer.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My pilot light is a normally closed device. Lighting it requires heating the sensor (thermocouple?) until it opens and allows propane to flow to the pilot. While on it maintains its flow with its own flame. No heat, No gas to pilot . Turning the oven temp on/up enlarges the pilot flame to heat the burner sensor which is also closed until it feels the larger pilot flame. No larger pilot flame, no burner gas.
That is how I understand the MH industry safety features built into RV propane ovens.
I could be wrong but that is what I have observed, once a season, when I have to get down on my knees to relight our oven.
It is way in the back and barely visible but only takes a few seconds with a long handled BBQ lighter.
Goodluck

Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 25 refuges with 8000 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

I put one in our oven. Went to home depot, bought a replacement 4 burner ignitor kit for BBQ, which included one ignitor line with high temp insulation.

Used the kit to replace the existing 3 burner ignitors and added one to the oven.

Works like a charm. DW says it's one of the best mod's we've done to the trailer.

I did the same. It isn't hard, just takes a bit of time and fussing to get just right. Especially useful mod for the stove top. Oven is a bit tricky, but the addition of a mirror glued to the bottom of the oven, under the pilot, helps to know when the pilot has lit..

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I haven't seen an RV oven with a pilot. Not that they don't exist, but I haven't seen one.

The oven in our last trailer was a nightmare to light. Our "new" trailer isn't so hard to light, but you still have to lean down there to see it.

Having an igniter would be fantastic.

EVERY RV OVEN has a Pilot. NO exceptions. You may be confusing the RANGE burners having a pilot. Until about 35 years ago, they had a Pilot system for the range burners, but dropped them due to safety concerns. The Pilot system for the old range burners had NO Safety Thermocoupler system. IF NOT lit and the manual valve NOT turned off, they leaked LP inside the RV. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Oven ignitor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.