|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Oven ignitor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

I just assumed the reason for no igniter in the oven is due to how hot it gets in the oven. Unlike a BBQ where the ignitor is under the unit and out in the open air, the oven is enclosed and the burner is right there. The underneath section of the oven gets hotter than the cooking compartment of the oven. How much heat can an ignitor take before it burns up?

Same for your stove and your hot water heater, the ignitor is not enclosed with the flame.

For you that have installed one yourself, has it lasted?

The trick to lighting an oven is to hold the lighter flame under the thermocoupler so it lets gas flow to the burner, not just the pilot light - then you are lighting the burner where a lot of gas is flowing out, but you also have to turn the oven to the Low setting. You can decide if this is safe for you or not as I am not interested in opinions of course. I do this all the time.

ours has been in the trailer 10 years and we use the oven probably 30+ times/year at least.

The one we got has the one ignitor with a high temp sheathing on the wire. It probably doesn't get as hot as the ignitor in our grill for the IR burner for the rotisserie, which is where the high temp ignitor wire goes. Ignitor can take temps way higher than the oven or grill will produce, it's the wire insulation that one needs to worry about. And there will be only 1-2 inches of wire in the oven, while the whole assembly has the high temp insulation.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Flyfisherman128

Broadalbin, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a '92 Magic Chef. The pilot light is so faint i can hardley see it when it's lit. I have accidentally left it on after a tank change. It discharges so little gas i can't smell it. My guess is if you left it on all the time it would take years use a tank of gas.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too used an old grill p-zapper and put it on my oven pilot light… It works great. Craig

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

I just assumed the reason for no igniter in the oven is due to how hot it gets in the oven.

I always assumed it’s because having a striker inside a closed compartment that may have built up gas was a bad idea.

* This post was edited 11/22/20 12:04am by wnjj *

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

ajriding wrote:

I just assumed the reason for no igniter in the oven is due to how hot it gets in the oven.

I always assumed it’s because having a striker inside a closed compartment that may have built up gas was a bad idea.

There are several RV gas ovens with spark ignitors, they just aren't units that are commonly installed by RV mfg.

ICamel

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

How much heat can an ignitor take before it burns up?

I frequently do a baked potato at 425F for over an hour and it hasn't been an issue. I did cover the oven igniter wire with heat shielding.

ajriding wrote:

For you that have installed one yourself, has it lasted?

It's been over 2 years and has worked flawlessly.

ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the "Because of hot hot it gets"

The ignightor itself is a piece of metal wrepped in Ceramic capable of withstanding temps that would literally melt the oven.. It is mounted by a steel bracket to whatever it connnects to. the wire is insulated with something like Teflon and 400-500-600-700-800 more is now sweat No it's not the heat.

it's the dollar it might cost.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added an igniter to an oven.......got it at Home Depot......made for a barbeque grill...was easy install and very cheap. Took a couple hours but worked great!

cpaulsen

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Oven ignitor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.