RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Help! Onan 4K generator refuses to start and stay on

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > Help! Onan 4K generator refuses to start and stay on

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kennyg

Green bay, Wi 54303

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KMLsquared wrote:

That fuel solenoid will stick closed not allowing fuel to enter the main jet. The reason it runs briefly is because the automatic choke is on enrichening the fuel air mixture, compensating for the lack of fuel going thru the main jet. Any water in the float bowl sits on the bottom and in that solenoid causing corrosion in a short time. I just fixed an Onan with the same issue.


When I disassembled the carb and manually moved the solenoid plunger it moved without restriction.
If I bypass the solenoid will the engine start as long as I use the jumper?


Kennyg

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/27/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kennyg wrote:

KMLsquared wrote:

That fuel solenoid will stick closed not allowing fuel to enter the main jet. The reason it runs briefly is because the automatic choke is on enrichening the fuel air mixture, compensating for the lack of fuel going thru the main jet. Any water in the float bowl sits on the bottom and in that solenoid causing corrosion in a short time. I just fixed an Onan with the same issue.


When I disassembled the carb and manually moved the solenoid plunger it moved without restriction.
If I bypass the solenoid will the engine start as long as I use the jumper?


No, the only way to "bypass" it would be to take plunger out of it. The spring keeps it closed until power is applied to it. If you apply 12VDC to it on the bench you should be able to test it.
Did you make sure the holes in the brass piece were free and clear?


2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

Kennyg

Green bay, Wi 54303

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KMLsquared wrote:

Kennyg wrote:

KMLsquared wrote:

That fuel solenoid will stick closed not allowing fuel to enter the main jet. The reason it runs briefly is because the automatic choke is on enrichening the fuel air mixture, compensating for the lack of fuel going thru the main jet. Any water in the float bowl sits on the bottom and in that solenoid causing corrosion in a short time. I just fixed an Onan with the same issue.


When I disassembled the carb and manually moved the solenoid plunger it moved without restriction.
If I bypass the solenoid will the engine start as long as I use the jumper?


No, the only way to "bypass" it would be to take plunger out of it. The spring keeps it closed until power is applied to it. If you apply 12VDC to it on the bench you should be able to test it.
Did you make sure the holes in the brass piece were free and clear?


Yes I did. Used carb cleaner as well as air hose to clean. Can see thru all the holes and the air passes thru all of them.

On one utube video, it talks about another "Brass" fitting with holes that is up in carb. The more I think about this is this piece which the solenoid pushes up and down?

miniwinipowerstroke

Erie

New Member

Joined: 11/20/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/22/21 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time for a Honda...seriously you won’t regret it!

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/23/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

miniwinipowerstroke wrote:

Time for a Honda...seriously you won’t regret it!


I have worked on Honda generators that have failed due to gas being left in the carb. So what's the difference? Parts for Honda products are costly as well. My Honda Ruckus parts are ridiculous.
It comes down to maintenance. Today's fuels corrode, gum up and eat away at fuel lines. You need to learn how to prevent it and not just park your rig come back a month or 2 later and wonder why it has issues. I use stay-bil in all my fuel for my small engines and still my roto-tiller would not start after sitting for 2 months. AND it has the magic Honda engine .......go figure...

* This post was edited 01/23/21 09:45am by klutchdust *

wopachop

Who run bartertown

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/23/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gravity feed it fresh gas with a multimeter on the solenoid while youre starting it. Might need 3 hands if you dont have alligator clips.

* This post was edited 01/23/21 09:53am by wopachop *

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/23/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Gravity feed it fresh gas with a multimeter on the solenoid while your starting it. Might need 3 hands if you dont have alligator clips.



Also add some "mechanic in a bottle" to that fuel, follow directions on the bottle. Available at the the big red store in the mower section. Folks, that works wonders for carb issues. As a professional mechanic and a snake oil avoider this stuff works.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/23/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Target is the big red store?
Never heard of that fuel cleaner but I'm also just a shade tree mechanic. Maintaining my own trucks and small engines. I use startron but it gets horrible reviews on YouTube.

Might switch to Rev X. Any opinion on that brand? I've bought their oil additive for my 7.3L diesel. Expensive stuff. My buddy told me he recently became a dealer for them. So I might try their fuel stabilizer for small engines that sit for months.

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/23/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My marine mechanic tested several stabilizers and two brands that ‘did not’ allow ethanol fuel separation were Startron and SeaFoam. I have been using both for many years and never have carb problems with gas sitting one year. Two years is pushing the limit. Non ethanol fuel found near marina’s worked better.

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/23/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Target is the big red store?
Never heard of that fuel cleaner but I'm also just a shade tree mechanic. Maintaining my own trucks and small engines. I use startron but it gets horrible reviews on YouTube.

Might switch to Rev X. Any opinion on that brand? I've bought their oil additive for my 7.3L diesel. Expensive stuff. My buddy told me he recently became a dealer for them. So I might try their fuel stabilizer for small engines that sit for months.


oops big Orange store. HD. As far as diesel additives I follow a forum of like minded diesel truck owners and read about diesel additives for fuel. I have used opti-lube XPD. Diesel fuel is missing a lot of the sulphur which added

lubricity, fuel additives are important. Now ever since getting a tank of 15% bio diesel from Pilot, "water in fuel" warning kept coming on, didn't even know my truck had that warning, after 14 years it never came on before.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > Help! Onan 4K generator refuses to start and stay on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.