RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is there any difference in DRIVING a gas class A vs diesel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Is there any difference in DRIVING a gas class A vs diesel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Egor'sRV

Dallas,TX,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been toying with the idea of trading in my gas Bounder for a diesel powered coach. Do they ride any smoother (my wife's pet peeve), do they handle much differently on state highways and interstates, and do they really make much difference for towing?
I've had two class C's before moving to the A, and each coach has been bigger than the last, and for me, better.
There are a lot of used diesels on the market right now and I was wondering if it would be worth trading again to get a better ride and livability.
Thanks for any insights.
Egor

"Of all the things I have lost during my lifetime, I miss my mind the most."

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More power -- climbing hills, etc. You don't even notice towing.
Usually airbags = smoother ride
Rear engine is a WHOLE lot quieter than front gasser.

And that startup gurgle! But women don't understand that!

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air brakes are different, he easy to get used to.

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never had a gas A, but had a 32' C. For me, the diesel A has been soooo much better in all regards.

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ I was wondering if it would be worth trading again to get a better ride and livability.” YES although you won’t be able to say you didn’t hear what the wife said.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with this question is a lot of it is not gas vs diesel but a better chasse.

The one advantage to diesel is you generate power at lower RPM and with a turbo, it doesn't lose power with altitude...otherwise for the same HP to weight ratio it will do as well, you just have to wind up the RPM a bit more when hill climbing (not that it will hurt anything)

Where it gets messy is diesel pushers benefit from a higher end chasse and the engine in the rear moving noise away from the cockpit. In principal, you could achieve similar results with a gas pusher but most people upgrading to a pusher will also upgrade to diesel, so they don't make gas pushers. So while it's pretty much always associated with diesel engines, it's not really the diesel engine providing the benefit.

Now if you find an identical MH with only the fuel type as an option (and of similar HP), it really is limited to the lower RPM and turbo keeping power at altitude and I wouldn't feel it's worth much of a premium.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As one that has driven both, here are my thoughts:

Air ride means the diesel will ride much smoother, with less body roll in the turns. Quieter, too, with the engine in the back. Definitely more power on hills, and towing is more effortless, although that depends on lot on just which diesel engine, and which motorhome. There are some underpowered diesel Motorhomes out there.

In terms of throttle response, acceleration....That is where the gasser wins in most cases, hands down. When you 'step on it' with a gas engine, it will downshift, turn a bunch of RPMs, and get going quicker (although can be loud). Do the same with a diesel, and it grunts, gurgles, lugs, and slooooooowly accelerates.

Sooo, yes, there are differences in how they drive. All I can say is, take each for a test drive, and decide for yourself.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By all means take them for a test drive, especially if you are looking at used Class A units. Having had both, I know that they will all make it to the top of any hill and they will all get you to your destination. You will spend more time parked so make sure that you can live with EVERYTHING about the floor plan, storage, etc. If you are a DIY mechanic make sure that you are knowledgeable about gas or diesel systems. Engine noise is less on a diesel pusher, but on a used unit, wind noise in the cockpit can be a problem with either. If you have to pay for all service, the diesel will be more expensive and there will be fewer places that can service your engine. Most gas units have the Ford engine and most parts are available at any auto parts stores. Just take any unit you are considering for a ride on a city street and on the highway and see if you are comfortable with everything and that the wife is happy with the floor plan.
Also, If you are planning on towing I think all of the gas units are limited to 5000 pounds, as are some diesels. Many diesels are rated for much more if needed.

stripit

Prescott

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently switched from a gas Ford powered 34 ft MH to a rear diesel 34 ft and it is night and day different in quiet, comfort and handeling. I find the ride and braking so much better and seems to pull my towed car easier too. It did cost more to upgrade, but we did upgrade from the gas. You have to actually get behind the wheel of a diesel and try for yourself to see if it is what you desire. One drive for us sold us that quick.

Stacey Frank
2013 Tiffin Allegro 34QFA
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most popular chassis for gasoline powered Class A is the Ford F53. No one has ever praised it for its handling and the old 6.8L V10 engine would get quite load when climbing hills.

The 2021 version of the F53 has many improvements in both the chassis and the engine (all new 7.3L gasoline). I would say it is still not on par with a diesel pusher, but it cost a whole lot less $,$$$ !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Is there any difference in DRIVING a gas class A vs diesel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.