RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is there any difference in DRIVING a gas class A vs diesel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Is there any difference in DRIVING a gas class A vs diesel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wont decry the diesels, but I will point out that IF you are looking at new, things are changing with the new engine and tranny on the F-53.
More torque and more gears next year should make drastic differences in the platform. Also some changes have been made in the new chassis, which should further close the gap in roll and sway.
There are a few video's out there
fast lane
winnie model

These are still 6 speed models, supposedly the 10 speeds are coming which should help noise and power even more, and the lean improvements have already been mentioned.

Go and drive one, or give it a year to get the better tranny and try that.
If your looking used, then go try one of them, but for new, be selective on what you research with all the changes coming out.

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes most diesels ride better than gas class A's but it because diesels are typically much heavier and often longer. I've owned both a gas a diesel that were within 4000 lbs in weight and while the diesel handled better, it was only slightly. My current coach is almost twice the weight of my previous gasser and it rides and handles far far better than the gas coach.

There are a lot of reasons why a diesel rides better but I think the biggest reason is weight, same as with a car or truck or even a motorcycle.

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Egor'sRV wrote:

I've been toying with the idea of trading in my gas Bounder for a diesel powered coach. Do they ride any smoother (my wife's pet peeve), do they handle much differently on state highways and interstates, and do they really make much difference for towing?
I've had two class C's before moving to the A, and each coach has been bigger than the last, and for me, better.
There are a lot of used diesels on the market right now and I was wondering if it would be worth trading again to get a better ride and livability.
Thanks for any insights.
Egor

YES! Absolutely! If the DW is not happy with the gas chassis ride and handling, she will be thrilled by the difference when you move to a diesel pusher. Don't take my word for it, take your wife for a ride in it. Just be sure to bring your checkbook as well!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TCmart

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just traded up from a 34' Fleetwood Bounder with the V10 on the F53 chassis to a Fleetwood Discovery 39'pusher.
The air brakes took a little while to get used to but the ride with air suspension is in my opinion much smoother than our gasser.
I think a lot has to do with the weight of the coach.
We loved our Bounder and took her cross country with never a hiccup even on long mountain pulls.
Looking forward to many great adventures with our new rig.

Tom and Christine
2000 Bounder 34T
Life is Good!

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we started camping in the 60s and worked our way thru the phase the little camp. and now a Newmar mountain aire, The lessons learned is simple, the bigger heavier they are the better they ride.

the coach chassis is the clue is the better built they are the better handle.

same rule applies to the coach, the better they are built the less problems.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get a diesel learn how the air brakes work. There was one person who actually believed that if he lost his air he wouldn't be able to stop.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll never know until you drive some diesels.

The first time we tried out a diesel I thought something was wrong with it
the brakes felt funny and the ride felt mushy/soft.
I'll tell you it didn't take long for us to decide that mushy ride was
fantastic and the air brakes, just feel different. I don't notice them
feeling different anymore.

Most diesels are actually a little underpowered until you get into the
bigger models with bigger engines. I'm not criticizing, each model is built
to fit someones pocketbook. Buying used allows one to buy a coach they would
never dream of buying new. If my DW would let me we would drive a big
ole Prevost or perhaps a Foretravel but thankfully she has more common sense
than me.

Frankly, the quiteness is the thing we appreciate most. We can
talk, listen to music, radio, or tv .

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Working for an RV dealer I don't see much difference in the diesel/gas debate except for the length. Other than that they are the same to me. The mechanics are different but they are still the same. I must admit that when I'm driving them I forget what I'm in at times.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that seldom is mentioned in these diesel/gas discussions is towing capacity and hitch height, especially hitch height. The gasser hitch on the Ford F-53 anyway will usually be higher than a diesel. The result is to tow a small low to the ground car you will need a long drop hitch to get the tow bar close to level. Couple this with long rear axle overhang most gassers have and you will quickly learn about “tail drag”

Rear engine diesels do not have this problem and also often have higher towing capacity. We do drive a gasser and know all about tail drag and now tow a suv that sits high enough to eliminate the problem. Just something to think about that most buyers never do until they have the problem.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Belgique

Hickory, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with other comments on how great the diesel ride is. 3 years later and we still comment on it almost everyday. 2 things I really love: PAC/Engine brake for going down the hill safely; being able to fuel up at truck stop pumps (fast and easy in/out). Down side might be Bubba on any corner can work on a V10; have to look a little harder for a diesel but there usually someone.

Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Is there any difference in DRIVING a gas class A vs diesel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.