|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very Frustrated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
mikemc53

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, bear with me on a long post.

Packed and ready to head south with unit loaded and ready for family. Had been on auxiliary power this past week and all appliances/accessories were functional. Went to start the motorhome (2004 Holiday Ramble Vacationer on Ford F53 Chassis) and it wouldn't turn over. Hit battery boost and it started up and ran well. Let it run about an hour or so and then needed to shut it sown to bring slides in. After that, no start - even with battery boost. Tried a separate, off the unit, battery booster that I have and still nothing.

Battery Minder says battery is desulfinated so I pulled the battery and went to town to find another. Could not match one up but bought what looked to be similar battery - it did not fit. I did, though, get it kind of hooked up just to see and still, no start. Took it back and picked up my old battery just for a placeholder. Put it back in and the unit started right up and turned over extremely well. Ran it for half an hour - shut it off...and since then, no start.

It seems to try, just one time...very slowly and then nothing. Can't figure out why it started a couple of times, but mostly nothing. Really didn't want a starter issue and not sure if that is even the case. Thought maybe a bad cell in battery but why would it start once or twice and then nothing?

If it was a starter why, again, would it once or twice but not any of the other times?

Very unhappy wife and pups - and one frustrated little Irishman.

Thoughts?

2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 37PCT

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've posted no information (age, size, terminal condition, resting voltage, specific gravity, etc.) concerning the condition all of the battery(s) you currently have.

That said, (assuming the batteries are good since the vehicle will start, . . . . well sometimes) I would be looking at the ignition switch, starter solenoid, booster switch, battery terminal connections, battery cables, etc.

Chum lee

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad relay.

Burn commutator on starter.

Loose bolt on wire at starter or relay.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably need a multimeter to check the battery voltage, or take it to Auto Zone and they will do it for you. Could be the battery or the starter.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad ground. A common problem that comes and goes just as your issue seems to do. Could be corroded/loose connection or a broken wire/ground strap.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're letting mechanical symptoms overwhelm you.

Turn on headlights. Are they dim?

With headlights on, turn key to start. What happens to the headlights?

Do they dim or do they click off when the key is turned to start? Do you hear a click? Or silence?

Clean the engine starter battery terminals, whether you think it's the problem or not. Are the battery posts shiny? If they are black is the coating soft or hard and crystalline?

Starter motors can fail in 99 ways and every last way is common.

It is impossible to "mental" your way through this. Start by jumping the battery from another vehicle and let the other vehicle charge your battery for ten minutes before turning your key again.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely the starter or starter solenoid..

Random or intermittent no turn over..

That is the typical symptoms I have run into on any of the Ford Modular engine series (5.4/6.8) once they get some age..

Starter solenoid is mounted to the top or side of the starter and is not replaceable and is subjected to a lot of dampness. Bad for high power connections and the internal parts of the solenoid.

Replace the starter, NOW, it is warning you, the next time may and most likely will be in a place worse than your driveway..

Be forewarned if you DIY replace, the top starter bolt if you are not careful WILL round off, I guarantee this! Steel bolts going into aluminum engine block = STUCK BOLTS!

My first attempt after reading these warnings resulted in rounding a bolt head.. I gave up and had my truck towed to a garage and they used 6 ft of extensions out the front of the truck to get 100% straight lined up to get that top bolt.

Second truck with the modular engine I had it towed straight to a garage and didn't monkey with it..

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing I would do is get your voltmeter on the battery. Measure the resting voltage. And yes check both the house and the chassis batteries. Then observe the meter on the chassis battery while DW attempts to start. If it fails use the boost and continue to observe and record.

Post the results. Otherwise next time it starts you need to roll to the shop and get it looked at.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get another battery, I know Napa has high end battery analyzers that take a minute or so to thoroughly test a battery. I had an older battery in our Class A that had been performing well during three days of a week long excursion. Had very similar symptoms after stopping at a Loves to get propane, took it to Napa and had it analyzed. It was shorted showing only 4 volts, they have most any battery size and we were quickly back on the road. They employees at Loves tried to jump it and according to their equipment all was fine, they suggested having it towed.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lot of good info, but I,m betting on a starter going bad or starter solinoid.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very Frustrated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.