|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very Frustrated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

First thing I would do is get your voltmeter on the battery. Measure the resting voltage. And yes check both the house and the chassis batteries. Then observe the meter on the chassis battery while DW attempts to start. If it fails use the boost and continue to observe and record.

Post the results. Otherwise next time it starts you need to roll to the shop and get it looked at.

OPs first post did say they tried a new battery, they were not able to get the correct size but did try what they had bought with no joy. Then they returned the wrong size battery.

Battery is ruled out.

OP has a 2004, Ford Chassis, which would have 5.4 or 6.8 Modular aluminum engine.. Starter is in a bad place, gets very hot, gets very wet, gets very rusty, solenoid gets very crispy, terminals corrode and snap off.. Solenoid is located on the starter and it takes a beating there..

I HAVE been there with a 2003 Ford truck and a 2006 Ford truck, the starter when it is going south often will intermittently do a no crank a few times or even a yr or so before it totally dies..

This is a common symptom on these engines.

OPs RV is within the age to have that starter just fail (lack of miles means nothing to rust and rot), it is giving warning signals that it needs changed. Next time may be at a rest stop or lonely road somewhere instead of at home.

OP could try cleaning the solenoid terminal connections but I would bet that at least one will snap off when they try (been there, done that to) but you can't clean the one going into the starter the way it is designed.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I found on my rig was I needed to clean battery terminals often. Damonm changed the lugs on the positive lead to the wrong metal and the result was frequent cleaning.. I do SERIOUS cleaning (power tools) I finally re-wired with the proper connector and it worked much better.

Starters can be affected by heat. Sometimes a hot starter will not work when a cold one will.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the battery back and have it load tested. Then start with a multimeter.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Certainly sounds like starter going out.
Had an engine back in early 80's where the starter was located close to cat and unless you had time to wait for starter to cool off, climbing underneath vehicle and tapping starter with a hammer was necessary.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

time2roll wrote:

First thing I would do is get your voltmeter on the battery. Measure the resting voltage. And yes check both the house and the chassis batteries. Then observe the meter on the chassis battery while DW attempts to start. If it fails use the boost and continue to observe and record.

Post the results. Otherwise next time it starts you need to roll to the shop and get it looked at.

OPs first post did say they tried a new battery, they were not able to get the correct size but did try what they had bought with no joy. Then they returned the wrong size battery.

Battery is ruled out.

OP has a 2004, Ford Chassis, which would have 5.4 or 6.8 Modular aluminum engine.. Starter is in a bad place, gets very hot, gets very wet, gets very rusty, solenoid gets very crispy, terminals corrode and snap off.. Solenoid is located on the starter and it takes a beating there..

I HAVE been there with a 2003 Ford truck and a 2006 Ford truck, the starter when it is going south often will intermittently do a no crank a few times or even a yr or so before it totally dies..

This is a common symptom on these engines.

OPs RV is within the age to have that starter just fail (lack of miles means nothing to rust and rot), it is giving warning signals that it needs changed. Next time may be at a rest stop or lonely road somewhere instead of at home.

OP could try cleaning the solenoid terminal connections but I would bet that at least one will snap off when they try (been there, done that to) but you can't clean the one going into the starter the way it is designed.
Yes I agree. In the end if the OP would quickly make the measurements it might show an aptitude to replace the starter. Or as I said... next time it does start get it into the shop.
Possibly a couple mild smacks with a hammer direct on the starter may get him rolling.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a bad starter. There's an old fashion, low tech way to check it: When it won't turn over, get someone to hold the ignition in the start position while you smack the side of the starter with a hammer. If it starts when you smack it, you've got a bad starter. I've used this method many times through the years.

mikemc53

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, it was the starter. Found a mobile mechanic who was excellent!

2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 37PCT

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got it fixed!

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MY 1995 dodge spirit starter was self diagnosing. Hold the key on start and smoke rolled out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very Frustrated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.