RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Rear View with ? Camera ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rear View with ? Camera ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is supposed to be in the technology section, the Moderators can sort it all out [emoticon]

Anyway we can't see out the back of the truck camper and only out half the back window in the Class C while driving. Apparently you can get a dash camera or maybe a back-up camera that has a display unit with it, and hang that from your rear view mirror. True?

It might even be possible to use your cell phone somehow as the display, but in BC you will be arrested and locked away for life for using a cell phone while driving, so I don't know abut that! No idea if they would consider the display on the mirror as a "distraction" either.

What is the real story, and if true (whichever part), how do you rig it up? Thanks.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what wrong w/ a plain ole backup camera ? They are legal

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hate to say it, but when driving get used to the side mirrors. I rarely ever use my rear window mirror. Just habit. If you want a camera, hook it up to you running lights. When you put them on it will power the rear camera. Some are better then others. So if you want something nice and clear, its costly. I have my backup camera set up this way. Its good for lane changes if needed. Mine is wireless and goes to its own screen in the TV. Some you can intergrate with the TV screen if you have one.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wired rear camera is powered from the acc, its on all the time, has its own 7" monitor and its clear as a bell. I still don't know what the problem or question is.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may not be the prettiest but Quicksilver has a 14" convex mirror on the passenger side and a 9" job on the driver's side. In México I have to plant the rear dual axle outside tires right on the bitter edge of the pavement. This minimizes the risk of losing the driver's side mirrors to a oncoming 53' flatbed hauling rebar (varilla) from the steel mill in Lazaro to Manzanillo. I have very bright amber LEDs for the daytime as I never drive after Sundown. Trucker's multi cameras and flat screens are pricey

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Security camera would work great and serve dual purpose. Getting a display that is not your cellphone shouldnt be too difficult. Just needs to run the app.

Depending where you camp some of your early morning joys might be to see what furry critters visited during the night.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BC seems to be an officious place, so they may get silly....

Pretty much all new cars have review cameras, so logically it would be a reach to claim you couldn't use an after market version.

But really, going down the road, I rarely need to see what's directly behind me and I can usually use other info to figure it out (such as watch for shadows of vehicles tailgating). But honestly, cars following closely are largely out of my control.

Where it's useful is backing up...then one of us gets out and goes back to act as a guide which provides even better visibility than a camera could.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duplicate...

* This post was edited 11/22/20 02:40pm by guidry *

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PM me if you want a list of what I had a camera mounted on the back of my TC and a monitor with removable wire. All bought off Amazon.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 with a factory backup camera in the tailgate. Of course, when I remove the tailgate and install my truck camper I have lost visibility. It seems that all I should need is a replacement camera and a wiring harness to install a backup camera on the back of my camper. I have looked and looked in vain. I cannot find anything that would work short of buying a whole new aftermarket system that would require a separate monitor.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rear View with ? Camera ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.