RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Rear View Camera - Cell Phone Hotspot as Wifi Booster?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rear View Camera - Cell Phone Hotspot as Wifi Booster?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem will be moving the camera. It is mounted to the rear of the camper. So while you can remove the screen you have to mount and hook up the camera. When traveling the cheaper ones will freeze up and occasionally glutch out on you. For me its not a big deal. Yes , if the wireless sensors are out of range they will not work.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I an worried about the wifi getting through from the back of the camper or MH, out the front and into the truck. In the stick-house, wifi can only go through so many walls before you need a booster.

It says it runs on 24v and there is an adapter. Where does that come in when you wire it to a 12v light as it says you do?

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

guidry wrote:

PM me if you want a list of what I had a camera mounted on the back of my TC and a monitor with removable wire. All bought off Amazon.

Thanks very much, but I think I want a wireless one. I want to be able to shift it over between the TC and the Class C easily.

This one is on sale locally, would it be any good? I see you connect it to your reverse light. To have it on while driving, would any 12v source work instead?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/type-........stanceaudio-alert-5-in-0350160p.html#srp

(In US dollars that would be about 3/4 of what it costs in Can money)

It seems to be similar to what is in our car with the lines and the beeping.

It says its range is 10m (30 ft and a bit) so the Class C is almost that long. Would it work from the back of the C to the dash?

It says it has a 5" display and also says 3.5" screen size. What does that mean?

I just want a live picture out the back while driving (including while backing up). I see some of these have "loops" and they record. Don't think I need that.

It says to mount it by your licence plate. Would it be easy for somebody to steal?

Comments please!

(They have one for a bit more (not on sale) that has wires. Not sure if enough wire or how I would route a wire.)

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/reloa........sist-system-pas-4-3-in-0354065p.html#srp

Good luck then. I use mine between my TC and 5th wheel trailer. Paid $60 for all the equipment on Amazon.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

Good luck then. I use mine between my TC and 5th wheel trailer. Paid $60 for all the equipment on Amazon.

Ya gotta link to that $60 camera from Amazon? That would be very helpful.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This one is wired but a much better price. On amaozon.ca too for about $68 Can.

It says it uses 3M tape not a suction cup, so have to work around that somehow. It does say you can use another 12v source instead of the reverse light, so it stays on while driving. a reviewer says it has a longer wire than most but I didn't see how long (anybody know?) Can you make the wire longer if needed?--I see one set uses those old television/VCR plug -in type wires so you could add to those.

guidry, how did you run the wire for your set into the truck?

https://www.amazon.com/Backup-Camera-Mon........ds=back-up+camera&qid=1606083842&sr=8-38

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

guidry wrote:

Ya gotta link to that $60 camera from Amazon? That would be very helpful.

PM me; I have a screenshot of the items I can send to you.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you use this for the screenshot?

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several cameras out there designed for the job. Some run off the Marker Light power (12 volts) some are wired back to the tow vehicle using a dash monitor some are wireless (RF Wi-Fi. BT or other part 15 (usa code) wireless link) Most Major RV dealers and camping world all carry versions of them.

There are also "license plate Frame" cameras that are easily installed but I think they are wired.. if they are wireless they most likely use phone.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a look at this site https://www.rearviewsafety.com/

My setup is wired and installed on a 2003 Silverado and a trailer. I replaced my rear view mirror with a 9" monitor using the mirror mount on the windshield. My monitor has 5 inputs. Up to 4 can be displayed at once. I have one on each side of the trailer near the front and one on the back. I also have 2 cameras on the back of the truck. One is near the tailgate release, the other one on the license plate. I have all of the cameras wired to be on if the truck is on. As long as the cameras are connected to 12v they will send a signal to the monitor. Having them connected this way allows me to view them at anytime.

I don't know if this is legal, but since my 2018 car has a switch that displays the rear camera on the rear view mirror, from the factory it probably is.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the class C, at least, where you can see some of the window, try a stick-on fresnel wide-angle lens on the window. It's not the same as a backup camera, and definitely less useful at night, but during the day they work remarkably well and give a surprisingly good view of everything in back of the RV...and, of course, are not very expensive and not prone to suddenly breaking or having interference or running out of battery power.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rear View Camera - Cell Phone Hotspot as Wifi Booster?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.