|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Toyota motor homes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We need to consider downsizing and simplifying from a 30 ft. Class C towing a car to a much smaller unit and not towing. Discovering the older Toyota truck motorhomes. Seems like one would work; except how in the heck do you find a place for stuff to take along. Amazed to see that there is no outside storage. How do you deal with this? Do any of you tow a very small utility trailer? But then darn that's back to towing something.
Second question. We looked at a 1992 Dolphin model sort of reconditioned. Pretty nice; but $28000?

Jayco-noslide

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go sprinter, those old toyota,s had some big problems ,

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twenty-nine year old motorhomes aren’t on my radar and shouldn’t be on your’s IMO.

If your TV is a truck or SUV, a bunch of stuff can be carried/stored in the vehicle if payload allows.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The older Toyotas were the slowest and most under powered RVs ever made.

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They want $1000. for every year it is old. They are looking for someone with more money than smarts. I watch RV's listed on craigslist in our area and can't believe the prices people are asking for old old RV's.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen a few folks put a fiberglass storage box on the roof or attached to the rear bumper. Also, I've seen a small scooter (in something like a bike rack) attached to the front/rear bumper.

On the older Toyota Class C's, the weight limitations, the rear overhang, and the small 4 or 6 cylinder engines really limit how much extra you can carry, . . . safely.

Chum lee

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

We need to consider downsizing and simplifying from a 30 ft. Class C towing a car to a much smaller unit and not towing. Discovering the older Toyota truck motorhomes. Seems like one would work; except how in the heck do you find a place for stuff to take along. Amazed to see that there is no outside storage. How do you deal with this? Do any of you tow a very small utility trailer? But then darn that's back to towing something.
Second question. We looked at a 1992 Dolphin model sort of reconditioned. Pretty nice; but $28000?
We owned a 1983 Toyota chassis motorhome for 24 years. CLICK HERE to see many pictures of it.

That rig as it was pictured, weighed only 3600 pounds. As stripped-out and light as it was, with a solid 4-speed stick shift transmission, it accelerated and cruised very poorly because it was powered by a 2.4L 4-cylinder carbureted engine that yielded only 96 hp. I test drove a fully featured self contained Mini-Winnie on a 1993 Toyota chassis with the larger V6 engine with MFI and it too was unimpressive, I believe because the house weighed so much more than our rig did. Figure adding another half ton in people and stuff.

I cannot endorse owning an old Toyota-based chassis unless your plan is to take your time. Plan on a cruising speed not to exceed 60 mph, and 25 mph on extended inclines. Also plan on "Poor Handling" with no good means to improve it. Our rig had no stabilizer bars and none were available. I had Bilstein shocks and air bags which helped, but were not an ideal solution. Better but not right.

As far as the price is concerned, I would not offer more than $15,000 on any such rig regardless of it's condition. You can buy a very nice 22 foot long durable E350 chassis motorhome with a Triton V8 or V10 engine that is many years newer, built better, and in great condition for less than $28,000. And your fuel economy might not be much worse than a fully featured Toyota-V6.

My advise is to shop around for these rigs to determine if the design and price fits your needs and budget. Start with year 1998 and go newer.

- Dynamax Isata Sport
- Dynamax Carri-Go
- Coachman Starflyte
- Phoenix Cruiser 2100
- Phoenix Cruiser 2350

The max length will be 4" shy of 24 feet, but some models listed will be in the 21-22 foot length, surely allowing to park in a regular parking spot. I believe all are also "narrow bodied" offering easy maneuverability.

Many of these motorhomes lack a slide-out which is another benefit when buying "old". A slide-out in an old rig generally is not a good combination for reasons that don't require an explanation.

* This post was last edited 11/23/20 07:36am by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Ron. For the same money you can get a newer motorhome that is roughly the same size overall, but built on a much more robust chassis.

Many years ago I sometimes drove a '92 4Runner with the same 3.0 V6 as is in that motorhome. Even in an SUV it was underpowered and it got maybe 13-14 mpg in city driving, 17 on the highway. In a motorhome it might get 10-12, not much if any better than a shorter motorhome with a gas V8 or V10.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

The older Toyotas were the slowest and most under powered RVs ever made.

Short of Conestoga wagons anyways...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, are you looking at these because your budget is somewhere between a nice tent and a beater with a heater? Or because you think they’re “neat?”
If the former, still don’t get one.
If the latter, you proven you don’t know much about vehicles, so take the sage advice here and don’t get one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Toyota motor homes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.