|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Converter Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
iski4fun

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good day, 1999 Fleetwood Travel Trailer 25 ft - does this rig have a converter? My interior lights were getting dim even when plugged into shore power. This prompted me to search for a converter to possibly replace because I understood a failing converter could be the culprit (due to not adequately charging the 12v). I couldn't find one, just a basic panel with 12v fuses and breakers for the 120v. I'm wondering if this rig even has a converter. Replaced 12v batteries which helps the dim lights, and I'm keeping them charged with a trickle charger. Is it possible this rig does not even have a converter and the 2 systems are separate? Note: interior lights on the 12v do not turn on at all when batteries are disconnected. Thanks, Bill

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every RV has a charger unless someone removed it. It could be behind/intergal to your panel. Unplug AC before investigating.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a pigtail for 120 volt shore power, at least (at one time) you had a converter. (I call it a load center) Does the TT have a factory installed generator? The panel with your 120 volt breakers/12 volt fuses should have an integral converter/charger. (behind the breakes/fuses) Post the make model for more info.

Chum lee

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost every RV built in the last 50 years, has a converter/charger. It's usually behind the fuse/breaker panel.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you will have a converter.

They are hidden under your power center where the breakers and fuses are.

[image]

Where the louvers are in the pix, that is where the converter lives..

You will need to remove the front cover and that will reveal the converter on the bottom of the unit.

It is most likely dead and you can buy just replacement converter to fit in the bottom.

Post model number of your power center..

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK post the model number of that electric panel. Usually they are interrelated.

Maybe even post a picture.

Good time to run out and get a portable battery charger to get you through while you sort this out. You need 5 amps minimum and 10+ amps is better. Put it direct on the house battery. Don't forget the extension cord if needed to reach your outdoor outlet or the pedestal.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need to buy an extension cord, get a very heavy duty one....12 gauge, better yet 10.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

iski4fun

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a MagnaTek Electrical Control Center MODEL 80
11 12v circuits and 4 breakers
If the converter is good would the interior lights in the coach work when the battery is disconnected - that is what has me confused.
I've had that front cover off and couldn't find the converter...not sure what to remove/replace. Thank you.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

iski4fun wrote:

Good day, 1999 Fleetwood Travel Trailer 25 ft - does this rig have a converter? My interior lights were getting dim even when plugged into shore power. This prompted me to search for a converter to possibly replace because I understood a failing converter could be the culprit (due to not adequately charging the 12v). I couldn't find one, just a basic panel with 12v fuses and breakers for the 120v. I'm wondering if this rig even has a converter. Replaced 12v batteries which helps the dim lights, and I'm keeping them charged with a trickle charger. Is it possible this rig does not even have a converter and the 2 systems are separate? Note: interior lights on the 12v do not turn on at all when batteries are disconnected. Thanks, Bill

You found it I suspect. You said "Just a basic panel with 12 volt fuses and Circuit breakers" In Every RV I have been in that has a panel like that the converter is behind the panel.. What is the make/model of the panel.. Two common makes are Parallax and WFCO.

The Parallax 7300 (note spelling may be off) is an intergrated SINGLE stage converter/fuse/breaker panel. 7300T is a two stage. NOTE I say 7300 but it's 73xx with the xx being the max output.

WFCO is a 3 stage with a high failure rate but it should still float. Just not Bulk charge.

Also check for one or more 30 amp fuses. they may be blown.. if so unplug for a few minutes. then replace ALL the 30 amp fuses and plug back in

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may help

Follow the wire from the "B" connection above the fuses or the positive cable from the battery. If there is a converter it will be connected to them.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Converter Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.