RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Portable Generator

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > Portable Generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MKDSK

Corinth, NY/USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/23/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will this generator run my oil furnace, electric water heater, three refrigerators, 1 freezer, garage door opener, lights and tv.


https://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-GP-8-000-Watt-Electric-Start-Gas-Powered-Portable-Generator-50-ST-CARB-7676/308948046#overlay

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

Senior Member

Joined: 10/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/23/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will run the three refrigerators, one freezer and garage door opener and tv with no problem at the same time. I don't know how many lights you want to have on at the same time, but it should run all of your lights at the same time. Just turn off the lights you don't need to use. You need to see how many watts the furnace and water heater use. My water heater has two 4500 watt elements. I have a 6500 watt generator. I turn only my hot water heater on for 30 min. This gives me enough hot water. Then I turn other things on.

The more stuff you turn on the more gas you will use. $$$


2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

MKDSK

Corinth, NY/USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/23/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

miltvill wrote:

It will run the three refrigerators, one freezer and garage door opener and tv with no problem at the same time. I don't know how many lights you want to have on at the same time, but it should run all of your lights at the same time. Just turn off the lights you don't need to use. You need to see how many watts the furnace and water heater use. My water heater has two 4500 watt elements. I have a 6500 watt generator. I turn only my hot water heater on for 30 min. This gives me enough hot water. Then I turn other things on.

The more stuff you turn on the more gas you will use. $$$


The water says upper element 4500 and lower element 4500. Where on the oil furnace would it say the watts?

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/23/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Posted in the wrong thread and the wrong forum.


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

MKDSK

Corinth, NY/USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/23/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Posted in the wrong thread and the wrong forum.



Doesn't matter.

Moderator

Tennessee

Moderator

Joined: 01/19/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/23/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This in NOT in the wrong forum, ATC is for 'non-rving' topics. Continue on. [emoticon]

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/23/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MKDSK wrote:



The water says upper element 4500 and lower element 4500. Where on the oil furnace would it say the watts?


There should be a plate on the furnace with the specifications. If you can't find that, there should be a tag on each motor showing the running watts. Your water heater will switch between the upper and lower 4500 watt elements, and not run both at the same time.





MKDSK

Corinth, NY/USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/23/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

MKDSK wrote:



The water says upper element 4500 and lower element 4500. Where on the oil furnace would it say the watts?


There should be a plate on the furnace with the specifications. If you can't find that, there should be a tag on each motor showing the running watts. Your water heater will switch between the upper and lower 4500 watt elements, and not run both at the same time.


How do I post a picture here of that plate on my furnace?

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

Senior Member

Joined: 10/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/24/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The water heater can run on the lower watts but it will not come to the full 4500 watts and may take longer to heat up with no damage to the heating elements which is why your water heater will work. The blower fan on your furnace is what is going to use the most wattage in reference to your furnace. Just like the blower fan on a RV furnace.
If you cant find a plate on your furnace displaying the total watts your furnace uses try the manufacture's website. Multiply amps by voltage to get watts.

bucky

Raleigh metro

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/25/20 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think DB meant that he posted in the wrong place, not the OP. I always just use a . when I mess up.


2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > Portable Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.