RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dehumidifier overkill?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dehumidifier overkill?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone. We have been traveling from Texas to California over the last 5 days and have hit some cold nights. We have been warm without issue with the furnace during the nights but the condensation had been bad come morning. I purchased a small Peltier dehumidifier before we left which is worthless and am now considering upgrading to a 30 pint real unit, but wondering if it is overkill...I have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE, but there are 5 of us.

This is the unit I'm considering: https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Appliances-30-Pint-Dehumidifier/189957689

Many of the suggested units found in the search are discontinued or similar to what I already purchased.

Thoughts?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five bodies in that size trailer give off a lot of condensation! A full size dehumidifier will help, but adding a little ventilation from a cracked window and roof vent may be needed.

Jerry

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found the cracked ceiling vent with the fan going works wonders but it cycles the furnace much more frequently (no wonder since I'm sucking the warm air out).

Trying to find a solution to preserve propane (furnace usage) with condensation control...

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unit you bought is not designed to dehumidify a trailer in use. It will do fine in a stored trailer up to 20 feet. 2 or more are necessary for larger trailers.
You need the 30 pint model and let it run.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most large dehumidifiers require shore power/generator - probably cheaper to crack a vent and run an electric heater/fan.

Kevin

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the feedback. General consensus is venting is the route to go.

Thank you.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run a ceramic heater and slightly cracked window.....we seldom run the furnace when hooked to shore.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in a 30' 5th wheel with a super slide for one winter while the house was being built. The unit was the typical summer time camper with R7 walls..roof....floor.
Condensation was terrible. We tried the vent cracking...window cracking but all that did was make a very cold drafty camper/furnace going 24/7 with wet walls.
I finally bought a dehumidifier which helped but not enough capacity. Bought another and no more wet walls.
That was in the mid '90 and I don't remember brands or sizes but we think they came from a Lowes.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raife wrote:

Hello everyone. We have been traveling from Texas to California over the last 5 days and have hit some cold nights. We have been warm without issue with the furnace during the nights but the condensation had been bad come morning. I purchased a small Peltier dehumidifier before we left which is worthless and am now considering upgrading to a 30 pint real unit, but wondering if it is overkill...I have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE, but there are 5 of us.

This is the unit I'm considering: https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Appliances-30-Pint-Dehumidifier/189957689

Many of the suggested units found in the search are discontinued or similar to what I already purchased.

Thoughts?

not overkill at all. We have a small compressor dehumidifier and use it in cool weather in humid environments. It often will fill the 30 or so pints in 12 hours or less, then taper to filling it every day or so

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

{snip}

Oh yes you can!

We have a 30 pint compressor driven dehumidifier in our 30 ft trailer. We have been in humid fall weather coming in and out of the trailer soaking wet from the rain and a 30 pint unit WILL keep humidity levels down to a point the trailer is comfortable and windows are dry. Even with 6 people in the trailer in this type of weather dehumidifier could keep up.

MOD'S EDIT: I deleted the rude post that you quoted and then deleted the quote here. (I'm not blaming you for pigman's rude post.)

* This post was last edited 11/24/20 09:23pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dehumidifier overkill?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.