|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Understanding DEF date code. Not obvious.

DEF date cide

This is why I tend to not buy Peak. WAY too cryptic date code. Why not just use a date?
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 21 Nights

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What we learned in the class 8 world is high EGT's (power demand) result in increased NOx emission which = increased DEF use. In a working class 8 truck that was around 1-2% DEF vs fuel.

If I owned a DEF using pickup I would measure in some DEF fills at the pumps vs fuel used and soon have a rate vs fuel use vs work we are doing today factor to know when to fill the DEF tank.

If I messed up and needed some emergency like, I know all heavy truck and equipment dealers who sell current emissions engines are required by law to stock DEF - truck dealers, ag dealers, and likely yellow construction equipment now too. They are often located along main highways.

That would be the day I would exit a trip and drive around looking for a shopping plaza or China parts store to buy DEF in a cardboard box down aisle 300.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

15 RAM with gauge at 1/2 a 2.5 fits easily.

X2!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

What we learned in the class 8 world is high EGT's (power demand) result in increased NOx emission which = increased DEF use. In a working class 8 truck that was around 1-2% DEF vs fuel.

If I owned a DEF using pickup I would measure in some DEF fills at the pumps vs fuel used and soon have a rate vs fuel use vs work we are doing today factor to know when to fill the DEF tank.
a shopping plaza or China parts store to buy DEF in a cardboard box down aisle 300.

In my case my DEF use is erratic because my truck is my daily driver. I'm not towing all the time.
Tying to calculate/predict my DEF use based on my driving habits is futile.
Just need a gauge!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

noteven wrote:

a shopping plaza or China parts store to buy DEF in a cardboard box down aisle 300.

In my case my DEF use is erratic because my truck is my daily driver. I'm not towing all the time.
Tying to calculate/predict my DEF use based on my driving habits is futile.
Just need a gauge!

I'm surprised you don't have some form of gauge. I use my truck as a daily driver and notice it uses less DEF during the cold months.

Bottom line after 8 years and 200k miles I never ran out and never had any DEF related issues using only Peak Blue DEF. I use a Ford brand DEF nozzles that prevents over fills that I clean and store it in the zip lock bag it came in. I typically add 2.5 gallons every ~6,000 miles

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Buy from the pump at truck stops. Not only is it fresh and stored in a cool place to last longer, but is also only costs about $2 per gallon.

My dealerships sells DEF. I can tell you that most of it sits out in a hot warehouse or in a hot semi-trailer for ages before being put out in the showroom which lowers the shelf life.

Between the cost savings, and being assured you have fresh, not expired DEF, I don't know why anyone would buy it in a box. Sure, it can be slightly inconvenient pulling up to the truck stop and running inside, but as sensitive as some report the fuel systems are it is worth the trouble.

Filled my Jeep up this week. It gets about 1500 miles/gallon of DEF, granted it is more DD, but is used to tow boats. That 8 gallon tank is nice. Not sure why the trucks don't use a bigger tank.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

X2!

One has to use 1 to 1.5 gallons when the tank is full before the gauge even starts to move down. It is very slow at the top and more speedy on once the gauge starts moving.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

X2!

One has to use 1 to 1.5 gallons when the tank is full before the gauge even starts to move down. It is very slow at the top and more speedy on once the gauge starts moving.

While that may be true, at least Ram thought in give you a gauge. Ford and GM didn’t have them early on, and I am not sure if either has a gauge yet.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Me Again wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

X2!

While that may be true, at least Ram thought in give you a gauge. Ford and GM didn’t have them early on, and I am not sure if either has a gauge yet.

The 11-16 Super Duty's tells you "The exhaust system is OK", "under half full", and two different miles left warnings (don't remember the exact miles left messages). The '17-Up have a digital DEF gauge.

The Ram def usage rate is not linear and will go down at a faster rate once the fluid gets down to a certain level. Not sure if Ford or GM does the same.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a video on DEF common problems. Crystallization and contamination being a couple of the big problems.

Link

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.