|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long trips

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
billy1davis

usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On long trips do you wish you were driving or pulling a different rv than what you have. If so what would it be? Or do you have just the right rv for traveling up to 4000 miles over 4 to 6 weeks.
This summer we would like to take a trip from Utah over to the Atlantic seaboard. We have a 30 foot 5vr weighing about 15000 pounds.

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 16,000 lbs 5th wheel and a 2019 Ram 3500 dually. I feel it's perfect for us. Traveled from coast to coast in all terrain. The truck is new but always had a dually for the last 10 years

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL 5th Airborne

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought our first pop-up tent trailer in 1988 and have owned three pop-up trailers, a 28' Sunline travel trailer, 26' Winnebago Minnie trailer and now the 2012 Bay Star motorhome 9 (gas engine). Every rig we've owned has been perfectly fine for traveling 400 miles or more per day. But, you do adjust your traveling style based on what you are towing. Back in the days of the pop-up trailers and traveling with our two sons, you had to find places to eat and rest rooms. With travel trailers, you can stop and use the trailer, but with some possible restrictions such as having to deal with slide-outs blocking the walkway. A motorhome makes it much easier to pull off into a rest area, use the bathroom, have a meal, etc.

Another factor is how often you have to stop for gas. When we pulled the Winnebago with a Tundra, which had a relatively small gas tank, gas stops were required at about 200 miles since I don't like to gamble with a tank getting too low. With the motorhome, we can easily do a day's worth of driving but at our age, we never go over 400 miles in one day, and prefer to stay around 300 miles per day.

If $$ were no issue, the only change I'd make at this point would be to move up to a diesel pusher with a better ride than the F53 chassis ride quality found on gas motorhomes. And, if we really wanted to do 500 miles a day, I'd either move up to a diesel pusher and consider a fifth wheel trailer with a nice truck.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as it's matched with an appropriate truck, should be great and wouldn't expect a different style rig to be any better.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have good long drives in my 20' Class B Xplorer 230XL. And I get 14 mpg. As a bachelor most of my drives are solo.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the right coast, have a great visit. As long as your truck is well suited to the load, you should have no problems.

I have dragged our trailer on 4,000 to 6,000 mile journeys four times around this wonderful country and had a fifth such planned before the current plague messed everything up. Wonderful experiences all four times. Our rig suits us well, and if money were no object, maybe we’d upgrade to newer versions of what we already have. YMMV of course.

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One reason we switched to a Class A from a 5th wheel was that no how nice the truck and 5th wheel, you're still riding in a truck. You can't do anything but ride. In the class A you can get to the refrig, bathroom, bedroom, closet, pantry and any where else you want. Plus the weather is irrelevant....if it's pouring rain you can still get what you want without getting out of the MH.

2014 American Eagle

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At an average of 115 miles per day (35 days...4000 miles) any RV or combo should be fine. Very similar to your post of yesterday.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reasons we traded back in '07 was Newmar had expanded the use of Comfort Drive across the entire diesel line - best move we've ever made in our RV life.

We did a 5,500 mile Yellowstone run in 10 days a few years back. We do a 10 hour run to Richmond Virginia a few times a year with no worries.

We used to have a TT as well as our MH. A few years ago we were doing a group gathering. I towed the TT the 1.5 hours to the campground, then drove home to get the MH. The TT was set up with all the best towing equipment, plus my truck is a Super Duty diesel. On the way down I was thinking how much $$$ we could save if we kept the TT and sold the MH.

When I got back on the road with the MH I was about 2 miles into the trip when I said to myself "what the heck were you thinking?"

The TT is gone, the MH isn't.

If all we ever did was short local trips I think a TT might work. For TRAVELING its tough to beat a MH.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 what Bruce Brown said! Can't beat a diesel Class A for riding and driving comfort.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long trips
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.