RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Latest Dish News Blackout ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Latest Dish News Blackout ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really sure how Nexstar thinks they're in a good position here, although I'm not defending Dish or Direct in these annual fights.

I have Dish and live in the Dallas area but about 30+ miles from most of the transmission towers. Yes I can get *most* of the local channels OTA, but reception isn't rock solid. But on Dish all they offer are the primary local digital channels and none of the secondary channels, i.e. I can get 4.1 on Dish but not 4.2. So I'm not getting all the locals in the Dish/Nextstar agreement. Given that the broadcast range on the digital channels is so pathetic compared to the old analog, Nexstar looses a large broadcast audience by dropping Dish and by not including the secondary channels in their Dish contract. Audience size relates directly to what the broadcaster can charge and get for commercials, so a smaller broadcast range would seem to hurt Nexstar the most.

Now Nexgen or ATSC 3.0 should change all that by combining OTA with Internet reception, but so far it hasn't gone completely mainstream. It is available in my area, but there are very few new TVs supporting it yet.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your clarity sports. Happy Camping

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides WGN we lost CBS and ABC. Set up an appointment and a Dish tech came out yesterday and set up an outside antenna as an inside wouldn't pick up CBS. I now have all channels back but WGN along with some new ones. They are all on my Hopper and Wally's in all rooms and I can record them. They charged me $0.

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had to use LoCast last night to watch Sunday night football. LoLife (Locast) interrupted every 10 minutes to sign me up for a once a month “donation”. I’ll have to find something different.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

Had to use LoCast last night to watch Sunday night football. LoLife (Locast) interrupted every 10 minutes to sign me up for a once a month “donation”. I’ll have to find something different.

I tried to get Locast to work on my Samsung "smart" tv for the game but could never get it to work. Either my tv isn't smart enough or the operator.... [emoticon]

jodeb720

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having been both a directv and dish customer, I struggle to understand how these media conglomerates think they are going to continue to charge companies like DTV, Dish and the cable companies - when companies like Locast are streaming the same product for free.

As Starlink and other vendors expand their coverage, I can see a time where satellite based broadcast companies are going to be losing market share for two reasons.

1. Cost - why pay for the service when you can get it for free?
2. Cord Cutters.

We all pay for internet - which we use for various reasons (work, email, streaming, etc). Starlink is still in it infancy, and for 99.00 a month - it's not quite cost effective to cut the cord and buy ala carte.

Depending on what Starlink ultimately costs, it may spell the end of Satellite broadcasting.

Personally, after a lengthy discussion with my customer service 'friends' at Dish, I cut the cord and went with other solutions (e.g. Locast, philo, and Pluto tv. I have 99% of what I had for just a little bit less than what I was paying for with Dish - that includes the cost of my internet at the house.

If starlink pans out, I'll dump comcast and then I can be completely mobile by taking my starlink dish on the road as I'm out RVing.

Until then, when I go, I use my pay as I go with Dish.

Indirectly, these media conglomerates are going to put the other vendors out of business (e.g. DTV, Dish, and Cable companies TV rebroadcasting). I don't think it's in their best interest because it's all about subscription based advertising - and with many cord cutters paying for premium services (e.g. Disney +) the advertising revenue is diminishing for them.

Many of the next generation are never going to have a single provider (e.g. Dish, DTV, Cable Companies) and that will drive the advertising revenue away from the media conglomerates and onto platforms like Google, Facebook and other social media outlets.

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locast is a neat service. Too bad it's only available in limited areas. We live in an area where no OTA TV is available even with use of antennas. I'd gladly pay for this service if it was available in my location in TN.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Latest Dish News Blackout ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.