RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Broken Leaf Springs

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Broken Leaf Springs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 01/12/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/28/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have seen several Youtube videos of broken springs, one on a 16 ft cargo trailer being used as a camper, another on a 20 ft or so travel trailer, and another on a larger trailer, a fifth wheel if I recall. In all cases the spring that broke was the main leaf, out in the area where it is unsupported by the other spring leaves. I highly suspect the problem is cheap imported products, used by Dexter and Lippert and others. This may be the reason that in days gone by, it was unusual to see a broken spring, as the springs 30 or 40 years ago were US made and from US steel.

Gonagain has broken spring on their cargo trailer conversion.

Grand Adventure breaks a leaf spring enroute to the Canyon of the Ancients

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Broken+leaf+spring+rv

US trailer manufacturers seem to be unwilling to install a quality suspension system on their products, as they regard the whole trailer as disposable and not worth the extra expense of a quality suspension.

I wished I had a trailer with a suspension such as the Australian made Cruisemaster.com.au or the alko.com.au suspensions.

Charles

* This post was edited 11/28/20 12:22pm by CharlesinGA *

Slownsy

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most broken springs as said is main leaf, fixed by getting a military wrap springs, ( main leaf supported by second) not a expensive fix, yes I have had broken springs in the past and had to drive hundreds of kilometres with timber wedged between spring and frame held in place with tie downs.
Frank.


Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Cheap Chinese Springs........


The Chinese make very high quality steels. I think this is another of many examples where the American companies order the cheapest materials and then we think cheap materials are all the Chinese can make.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/28/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

down home wrote:

Cheap Chinese Springs........


The Chinese make very high quality steels. I think this is another of many examples where the American companies order the cheapest materials and then we think cheap materials are all the Chinese can make.


It does not matter what they CAN make, it only matters when they export cheap junk. If they had a bit of pride in their goods, they would refuse orders for inferior, dangerous goods. Japan produced junk years ago and they cleaned up their act.





JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/28/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

down home wrote:

Cheap Chinese Springs........


The Chinese make very high quality steels. I think this is another of many examples where the American companies order the cheapest materials and then we think cheap materials are all the Chinese can make.


It does not matter what they CAN make, it only matters when they export cheap junk. If they had a bit of pride in their goods, they would refuse orders for inferior, dangerous goods. Japan produced junk years ago and they cleaned up their act.


When US started to trade with Japan, we gave them junk. That is what they made to match are goods. When The learned we wanted better they made as good or better than we did. Compare cars made in '70s US/Japan.
US makes varies qualities of goods for markets. To assume China does not sell what the customer demands is racism.

memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/29/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

down home wrote:

Cheap Chinese Springs........


The Chinese make very high quality steels. I think this is another of many examples where the American companies order the cheapest materials and then we think cheap materials are all the Chinese can make.


It does not matter what they CAN make, it only matters when they export cheap junk. If they had a bit of pride in their goods, they would refuse orders for inferior, dangerous goods. Japan produced junk years ago and they cleaned up their act.


When US started to trade with Japan, we gave them junk. That is what they made to match are goods. When The learned we wanted better they made as good or better than we did. Compare cars made in '70s US/Japan.
US makes varies qualities of goods for markets. To assume China does not sell what the customer demands is racism.



You started with a questionable comment only to far exceed reality with your last comment, to which I respond .....”Horse Hockey”! memtb


Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl


JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/29/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

JRscooby wrote:


When US started to trade with Japan, we gave them junk. That is what they made to match are goods. When The learned we wanted better they made as good or better than we did. Compare cars made in '70s US/Japan.
US makes varies qualities of goods for markets. To assume China does not sell what the customer demands is racism.



You started with a questionable comment only to far exceed reality with your last comment, to which I respond .....”Horse Hockey”! memtb


I had a friend that lived in Japan as a child late '40/early '50s. He saved some of the toys he had when came to this country. His "Made in Japan toys where much better quality then the MIJ toys I had. OTOH My Made in USA toys where much better then his. I assume toys where not the only products that met that idea. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
Now do you want to disagree that US manufactures quality levels depends on market aimed at? Are you old enough to remember the Chevette? Did it have the same level of quality of construction and materials as the same years Olds or Caddy?
Now what makes you think China can not make steel or springs of both high or low quality? And that if given a choice, RV manufactures would buy the lowest price stuff?

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/29/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A high percentage of what is made in China is made to meet specs provided by the buyers. If the buyers want higher quality and more expensive goods, they will be provided. If they want cheap, that is what they get. RV tires are a good example. There are plenty of quality tires available yet the manufacturers seem to prefer buying cheapo Chinese made tires. The Chinese will continue to provide these because there is a market for cheap.

If an RV is built with cheap Chinese made goods, I blame the RV manufacturer for buying the cheapest parts, not the maker of the parts.

buc1980

houston tx

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/29/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May be bad luck for me but I got 3 springs broke in 15 years.That was the end. I replace the springs with IS Moryde and no more problems.


2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Broken Leaf Springs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.