|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Blue DEF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Answering your question directly, I have always used Peak DEF from wally world. I refill my tank when it shows 1/2 on my gauge. The def from wally will fill it right back to the full mark from the 1/2 mark.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

DEF is DEF, buy whatever has the lowest price. I do have concerns with dirty nozzles at truck stops, but many use it with no problems. Walmart most likely has the best price on their own brand.

agesilaus wrote:

As noted DEF is DEF is DEF. It is all the same, save yourself some money and buy the $7 stuff from Walmart.

So you are both certified chemist that have tested all brands of DEF on all counts including purity.

The effects of less pure DEF likely will not appear right away, the same as using cheap engine oil will only build sludge which leads to issues down the road.
As often as I need to add DEF I will use a brand name.
So, you are the DEF expert? lol

I use the cheapest. Never an issue.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The WM DEF meets all manufacturers requirements; I make my own coffee at home but if your $7 coffee is better enjoy it...I’m sticking to my inexpensive coffee & WM DEF so with the savings I can travel wherever I want to wherever I want....

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

DEF is DEF, buy whatever has the lowest price. I do have concerns with dirty nozzles at truck stops, but many use it with no problems. Walmart most likely has the best price on their own brand.

agesilaus wrote:

As noted DEF is DEF is DEF. It is all the same, save yourself some money and buy the $7 stuff from Walmart.

So you are both certified chemist that have tested all brands of DEF on all counts including purity.

The effects of less pure DEF likely will not appear right away, the same as using cheap engine oil will only build sludge which leads to issues down the road.

I’m not a chemist, but I have a DEF refractometer and use it to check the DEF that I buy in jugs, and keep at home. Cheap DEF, expensive DEF, new DEF, old DEF, BlueDEF or Supertech DEF, if the refractometer says the urea is 32.5%, it will do it’s job in your exhaust system. DEF doesn’t get used in, burned by, consumed by, or run through the engine, so you don’t have to worry about any sludge buildup there.

Because DEF is a legally required pollution control fluid used in literally millions and millions of Diesel engines, the urea used to produce DEF is already extremely pure, pharmaceutical grade. The only other substance in DEF is deionized water.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid doesn’t degrade nearly as quickly as people assume. For example, at 86°F, DEF has a shelf life of a year. BUT REMEMBER: Don’t equate shelf life to spoiling like food, as DEF will not “go bad”. It will lose some effectiveness, and the SCR will dose at a higher rate, but it won’t “go bad.” If maintained at a constant temperature, DEF manages to stay for several months. For example, at 74°F Diesel Exhaust Fluid has the shelf life of 44 months.

My garage supply cabinets get zero sunlight, and rarely if ever exceed 85 degrees. I don’t stockpile it, but I’ve usually got a 2.5 gallon box or jug of it my garage. I make note of the date code on it when I buy it. It’s always used up in less than a year.

When my truck says the DEF tank is less than 1/2 full, I pour in 2.5 gallons when I get home, and buy a new jug the next time I’m able. If we’re on a long trip and it gets under 1/2 full, the next time I need to stop at a Walmart I buy a jug or box and dump it in. I have never used the bulk pumps because there’s never a convenient one when I need it. I’m not driving miles out of my way to buy such a low usage item in order to save what? About a dollar a gallon?

Finally, ONLY product that adheres to the ISO 22241 specification and is licensed with the API can be called Diesel Exhaust Fluid…all other products are simply Urea Solutions to various concentrations and cannot be called Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was last edited 11/28/20 06:57am by NRALIFR *   View edit history

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Not a chemist, but I can read. Look up ISO 22241

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WM doesn’t make anything. Not oil not eggs not pants and not def. they buy in bulk at the manufacturer and have it branded with their own brand. As far as truck stop def goes if you go to a major truck stop that has a lot of fuel turn over then your def will be good to go as they will go through a lot of def also. I work for a fuel and oil distributor and I know how old the def that I buy is because I’m the one that drove to the manufacturer and trucked it back.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s a helpful item if you typically use the boxes or jugs of DEF. this is a Ford part, and you can order it on Amazon for about $10. It fits on any jug or box of DEF, and I *believe* the DEF fill ports on vehicles are all the same, so the o-ring on the dispensing end of the spout will make a seal when it’s pushed down into it. You can then turn the DEF jug upside down if you want and there will be no leaks. The DEF tank will fill until it’s full, and nothing will spill out. It’s a handy item.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was last edited 11/28/20 08:55am by NRALIFR *   View edit history

3Fivers51

Litchfield

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone who offered their ideas/opinions/facts. I greatly appreciate all of them and it helps!!!

Bill(3fivers)

hondapro

Central Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Here’s a helpful item if you typically use the boxes or jugs of DEF. this is a Ford part, and you can order it on Amazon for about $10. It fits on any jug or box of DEF, and I *believe* the DEF fill ports on vehicles are all the same, so the o-ring on the dispensing end of the spout will make a seal when it’s pushed down into it. You can then turn the DEF jug upside down if you want and there will be no leaks. The DEF tank will fill until it’s full, and nothing will spill out. It’s a handy item.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

This a great tool it works well.There are no leaks and it stops when full.
Remember to not overfill your DEF tank if you are in freezing temps, DEF will freeze.

Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2015 Springdale 311RE

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill my DEF maybe 1-2x/yr. W/o looking at specific expiration dates, I may have old DEF in truck's tank, then add new/old DEF at fuel stop when I top off. Guess I'm in a bad situation. LOL Seriously tho, that is my case and ever since my '15 DEF required truck, I've filled up at truck stops w/o any problems. Any problem I did have was on the truck side of things (ie: DEF heater). If you do fill up at a truck stop, just wipe off end of nozzle before inserting it into your tank if tip of nozzle is a tad cruddy. However, more than likely it won't be due to high use of it.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Blue DEF
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.