RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Lake Louise trailer park or Icefield parking lot.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Lake Louise trailer park or Icefield parking lot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pianotuna, I wish I could claim credit. But what you see is what was spread out in front of us -- I held the camera and clicked the button.

I do get credit, though, for forcing myself out of a warm bed to watch the sunrise from our campsite. I have missed many a wonderful sunrise (especially in cold weather) due to that dreaded malady, "Acute Blanket Entrapment." [emoticon]

We have a better track record at sunset-time, which conveniently happens during Recreational Beverage Hour.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

canadafan

Norfolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, you don't want to stay at the busy town campgrounds, so here goes:

Icefield can live up to it's name, snowing here on mid summers day in 2019! It's really just a paved parking lot.

Between Banff and Lake Louise there are three campgrounds on the Bow Valley Parkway but bear in mind the railway runs close to all of these, as it does at Lake Louise. There are up to 30 trains a day, some up to 3Km long taking up to 3 or 4 minutes to rumble by!

Johnston Canyon, gets very busy, maximum 27 foot.
Castle Mountain, probably the furthest from the railway but sites will not take your rig.
Protection Mountain, where the closest site to the railway is about 140M, furthest about 450M, will take your rig and probably your best bet.

Lake Louise, railway is REAL close. the nearest site is only about 60M away so very noisy and busy.

Take a look at Silverhorn Creek, it is 50km north of Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway. It used to be an overflow CG but I believe that it has been recently upgraded. No problem with your rig and no railway here

Another option is Monarch in YOHO NP. this is an open type CG with no facilities. It is next to Kicking Horse and is used as a kind of overflow CG but it has, in the past, often opened earlier than Kicking Horse, check it out, No problems with your rig here. You can view it in street view on Google Maps.

Good luck
Trevor

* This post was last edited 12/03/20 03:07am by canadafan *   View edit history

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll just throw my 42 cents worth in here. Depending on the border being open, Waterton Lakes National Park, townsite campground. Our absolute favourite place to go.There are other campgrounds in the park also. Been to Banff, Icefields, Jasper. Waterton is our favourite place to go. Not overcrowded. Take the boat ride on Waterton Lake into Montana and back. Go up to Red Rock Canyon and you might have sheep surround your vehicle to,lick your wheel wells. I don't know why they did. Couldn't have been for salt as it was in the summer. Take a drive up to Cameron Lake. As far as we are concerned, it rivals Lake Louise and hardly any big crowds. If you drive slowly and get out of the way of the younger generation who want to speed to get to these places you will probably see some black bears, cinnamon black bears and maybe if you're really lucky, like us, you might see a white black bear. Maybe even a grizzly. Since the fire in the park, Red Rock Canyon and Cameron Lake roads have been shut down for major repairs and improvements. They may be open by the time the summer of 2021 rolls around. Reservations go really fast when the park opens them up. When you drive around in the park, you are right in the mountains, close up and beautiful. The Prince of Wales Hotel is an old beautiful Hotel and you might want to go in for high tea with bagpipes playing etc. Did I say the Park is our favourite place to go to. It's a great place to start and then head up north to Banff and Jasper. Ok I think I put in 50 cents worth. Something to think about. Stay safe and stay calm in this time of COVID.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Lake Louise trailer park or Icefield parking lot.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.