RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Quiet heater that doesn’t drain batteries ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Quiet heater that doesn’t drain batteries ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One diode on the fan power wire made mine quiet enough to sleep. It slowed it down just enough to stop the rumbling that it used to give off when running full rpm. The factory tech told me that I could do this w/o creating any problems prior to adding the diode.

The diode will reduce the voltage somewhere around a half of a volt. Even batteries are running low it still functions fine, but you need to call a company tech to be sure it's okay to do this modification.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use 2 olycat waves unvented, w oxy sensors on them. sips propane and uses no power perfectly safe. Been using these for 40 years. Something like 10 million sold. All vented heaters are just wasting propane w/ 50% of the heat going out the vent. A little condensation yes, no problem

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m using a big buddy heater for the first time this fall. I cracked a window open too far the first night and the heater still worked great on low but it got a little cool sleeping by that open window. Then I went to cracking two windows open about 1/4 of an inch, one front and one rear of the five, and that works perfectly.
I put the heater in the middle of the trailer and the first couple of nights when I only had one front window cracked open, I noticed a slight odor at the rear of the trailer and that’s what prompted me to also crack a window at the rear. That illuminated 100% of the odor. We’ve had windy nights and two windows being only slightly cracked open has very little effect on the heating.
I used to wake up every time the roaring Atwood furnace came on, but not anymore. Besides getting a good nights sleep, now... The propane last about three times as long. Craig

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because we dont like the constant noisy cycling on and off of the furnace while sleeping i lower the thermostat to 50 ish at bed time. This way the furnace usually doesnt come on until early morning depending on the outside temp. Then in the morning i bump it up to 70 ish and go back to bed for an hour.

2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

That illuminated 100% of the odor.

[emoticon]..[emoticon]..[emoticon]..[emoticon]

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darn dictation… That was supposed to be eliminated. Sorry

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monaramblee wrote:

Because we dont like the constant noisy cycling on and off of the furnace while sleeping i lower the thermostat to 50 ish at bed time. This way the furnace usually doesnt come on until early morning depending on the outside temp. Then in the morning i bump it up to 70 ish and go back to bed for an hour.

ditto, but we have a setback thermostat set to come on at 7am. Furnace coming on is our "alarm", wakes us up, then wait a while to get up, trailers warm.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Quiet heater that doesn’t drain batteries ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.