|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Haul Mode

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

shelbyfv wrote:

I think engaging tow/haul will also keep a good charge going to the trailer battery.

I will have to think about that one!

I think he means higher rpms (theoretically) in tow haul equates to higher alternator output. (like my old Chevy).
But as you also know, the charging systems are quite regulated on newer vehicles and long trips, the rpms won’t be any different on the open road tow haul or not.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, what I have read is that with Tow/Haul engaged the alternator is programmed to keep providing a significant output rather than dropping down so much after it replaces the starting draw. This may not be true with all brands or years. I haven't verified if this is the case with my Ford, it's just something I read that I thought was interesting and a welcome feature. I have a little meter I can plug in to the 12V receptacle, maybe I'll investigate the next time I drive the truck.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 03 silverado would shift really rough on Tow Haul mode. Buddy with the same truck noticed the same thing. Shifted hard enough to make you think it was better to leave it off for that particular truck.

Currently have an 02 7.3 and all it has is a button to ditch 4th gear. Not sure if it adjusts shifting and torque converter slippage.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

Actually, what I have read is that with Tow/Haul engaged the alternator is programmed to keep providing a significant output rather than dropping down so much after it replaces the starting draw. This may not be true with all brands or years. I haven't verified if this is the case with my Ford, it's just something I read that I thought was interesting and a welcome feature. I have a little meter I can plug in to the 12V receptacle, maybe I'll investigate the next time I drive the truck.

I can’t recall ever reading or hearing of any effect of tow haul mode on the charging system on Ford trucks. There is however a stationary engine operation ECM mode that can be enabled called Battery Charge Protect. It’s only for supporting heavy electrical loads while the engine is running, parking brake is set, and shifter in neutral. When that mode is enabled, it will increase the idle as needed up to 1200 rpm to maintain the battery voltage while using tools or accessories that are drawing significant amounts of power from the truck.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 12/09/20 05:49pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

shelbyfv wrote:

I think engaging tow/haul will also keep a good charge going to the trailer battery.

I will have to think about that one!

I think he means higher rpms (theoretically) in tow haul equates to higher alternator output. (like my old Chevy).
But as you also know, the charging systems are quite regulated on newer vehicles and long trips, the rpms won’t be any different on the open road tow haul or not.

Got it!

I have to say on 10 hour towing my residential frig is right where it was at the beginning of the trip.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

My 03 silverado would shift really rough on Tow Haul mode. Buddy with the same truck noticed the same thing. Shifted hard enough to make you think it was better to leave it off for that particular truck.

Currently have an 02 7.3 and all it has is a button to ditch 4th gear. Not sure if it adjusts shifting and torque converter slippage.

The transmissions of almost 20 years ago were different animals. The 2005 Chevy I used to have acted similarly. Yes, the button in your Ford just turns off the overdrive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Haul Mode
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.