RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: What do you do with ash/coals ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What do you do with ash/coals ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is zero doubt with my ashes that they are stone cold, wet and won't start anything.

Can't speak for anyone else though....

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Don't do it at home...why do it at CG????

Those words need to be heard by a LOT of new campers!

I do it at home, not so much next to the road but in the yard. 18 years and roughly 2 full cords of wood per year.

So can I do it in the CG?

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Walaby wrote:

I put the fire out at the end of the night, then next morning dump ashes into a trashbag and take to the dumpster.

Never thought about doing it any other way.

Mike

Exactly^^^^

I use a Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal BBQ for grilling
Fill it up with briquettes, place lid back on when done grilling....add more as needed then last night I leave lid off and let them burn down to ash
Next morning dump in trashbag and place in dumpster with rest of our trash

I would NOT even consider just dumping then next to roadway

Actually, I dump the ash across the yard at home. It is good for the soil.

I dumped it with out bag of trash in a pile next to the road. The campground staff does come daily to pick up trash from campers. I will get some large trash bags atleast to use next time.

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I put the fire out at the end of the night, then next morning dump ashes into a trashbag and take to the dumpster.

Mike

Thats what i would do, but you can always call the CG office and see what they prefer.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Walaby wrote:

Mike

Exactly^^^^

Fill it up with briquettes, place lid back on when done grilling....add more as needed then last night I leave lid off and let them burn down to ash

I hope you also use some water to make sure the coals are out. I also let them burn down to ash the last night, but there are many mornings I can still find a hot coal or two down among the ashes. So if I just dump them in a trash bag and put it in the dumpster there's a good chance there's going to be a dumpster fire.
No I don't really enjoy stirring my fingers into last nights fire ash even knowing there is only wood and nothing else in there. But I am amazed at how many times I find that a fire is still warm w=en it looks completely out.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Walaby wrote:

Mike

Exactly^^^^

I hope you also use some water to make sure the coals are out. I also let them burn down to ash the last night, but there are many mornings I can still find a hot coal or two down among the ashes. So if I just dump them in a trash bag and put it in the dumpster there's a good chance there's going to be a dumpster fire.
No I don't really enjoy stirring my fingers into last nights fire ash even knowing there is only wood and nothing else in there. But I am amazed at how many times I find that a fire is still warm w=en it looks completely out.

I know your comment was meant for Old Biscuit, but thought I'd respond to quote anyways. I learned from my dad as a 10 year old boy the need to fully extinguish your campfire before going to bed. Same goes for coals in your BBQ grill. Im betting Old Biscuit knows and does the same.

Mike

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

phil-t wrote:

Dumping ashes and/or coals in a dumpster will eventually bring trouble. No way anyone providing that dumpster would approve of such action. If at a campground, ask the management, if in the wilderness, ask a ranger.
If you can't figure out what to do with the ashes/coals, don't start the fire in the first place.

ok, i'll bite. why?

Worst case scenario: The coals looked like they were fully extinguished, but they weren't, so you just started a dumpster fire. Or for bonus points, the coals don't ignite in the dumpster, but they do in the truck and catch the whole trash truck on fire.

Best case scenario: The coals don't start a fire, but they are either wet and make a big gunky mess inside the dumpster or they're dry and the ashes make a big gray cloud when the dumpster is emptied into the trash truck.

If there isn't a specific ash can to dump our ashes, we keep them in our portable pit and dump them in the next spot or in the wild if we're boondocking.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

phil-t wrote:

Dumping ashes and/or coals in a dumpster will eventually bring trouble. No way anyone providing that dumpster would approve of such action. If at a campground, ask the management, if in the wilderness, ask a ranger.
If you can't figure out what to do with the ashes/coals, don't start the fire in the first place.

ok, i'll bite. why?

If you can't figure out "why"; you evidently have never seen the fire department putting out a dumpster fire !

Guy

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I am home I just spread the ashes from my fireplace in my garden, they are good for the soil. I would ask the campground what they want you to do with them.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cocky_Camper wrote:

Actually, I dump the ash across the yard at home. It is good for the soil.

I dumped it with out bag of trash in a pile next to the road. The campground staff does come daily to pick up trash from campers. I will get some large trash bags atleast to use next time.

We use the ashes from our home fireplace in the flower beds. It's excellent free fertilizer. I've never camped at a campground that didn't have a fire ring, or that asked people to remove ashes ... Just not a common thing at state parks in the midwest I suppose.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What do you do with ash/coals ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.