RV.Net Open Roads Forum: why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

properly built, axles are made with a 1/4 degree camber, 0 to 1/16 degree toe in for alignment. Frame should be square and level in every aspect. Your issue is that the frame is not centered between the body of theunit. Strange. I couldnt guess why its built that way.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the frame rails are spaced evenly until they get passed the axles there isn't any problem. As suggested measure the distance from the leaf springs to the outside trailer wall on both sides. If the same everything should be okay. They may have had to offset the frame rail after the axles because of something going through the floor was going to create a problem.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The welder should be installing a hitch while he's there, that way you have a better place to mount a bike rack instead of the bumper.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?"

Having used Amish Craftsmen on a few things in the past reading tape measures and plumb/level/square are not high on their priority list.

Then watch how fast they attach the floor HERE

And that was before they were "acquired" by Thor which I can guarantee did not increase any level of quality be it in materials or actual assembly.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

"why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?"

Having used Amish Craftsmen on a few things in the past reading tape measures and plumb/level/square are not high on their priority list.

Then watch how fast they attach the floor HERE

And that was before they were "acquired" by Thor which I can guarantee did not increase any level of quality be it in materials or actual assembly.

LOL. Every time I watch that video I see something new that I just shake my head at! Kneeling on the freshwater tank, so it's now collapsed after wards. Floor bolt holes drilled at an angle. Gotta love their clean up and inspection at the end!

I can't believe they haven't pulled that video yet.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some mentioned engineers or design in this discussion, I don't know where they got the idea that engineering is involved in the building of this level of RV.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL. Every time I watch that video I see something new that I just shake my head at! Kneeling on the freshwater tank, so it's now collapsed after wards. Floor bolt holes drilled at an angle. Gotta love their clean up and inspection at the end!

How fast can you get the garbage to the curb and sell it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

Maybe I haven't been clear....this is a design issue...not a 'manufacturing quality' issue...not a 'it got wrecked, and wasn't repaired properly' issue...not a 'he must have thrown the rig out of alignment' issue..

I was hoping there might be an engineer out there who could provide an explanation...it looks and seems funny to me, but I'm sure there's sound reasoning behind the design

Well trailernovice, I don’t have the explanation, and it’s obvious you’re not going to get anything constructive out of the rvtards on this one. Seems most of them are responding between episodes of incomprehension and unavoidable sarcasm, with a sprinkle of ......I’m not even sure.

Good job rvnetters!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

trailernovice wrote:

Maybe I haven't been clear....this is a design issue...not a 'manufacturing quality' issue...not a 'it got wrecked, and wasn't repaired properly' issue...not a 'he must have thrown the rig out of alignment' issue..

I was hoping there might be an engineer out there who could provide an explanation...it looks and seems funny to me, but I'm sure there's sound reasoning behind the design

I was hoping that you would answer a few simple questions so we could better understand how this thing could function properly.

Classic Lynnmor/Lilwiddis response....some days I’d swear you two are the same people with different IP addresses.

dfm

B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This video has been around for at least 12-15 years. I know I watched it that long ago when I bought a Jayco trailer. I doubt it reflects current process with Thor. I'm sure it is infinitely worse today!!

2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.