RV.Net Open Roads Forum: why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Jayco Difference
We go to great lengths to build better RVs.

The Industry's Best Warranty
Jayco's limited warranty was already the best—covering you for two full camping seasons, twice as long as the industry standard.

Phone: 574-825-5861

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dfm wrote:

This video has been around for at least 12-15 years. I know I watched it that long ago when I bought a Jayco trailer. I doubt it reflects current process with Thor. I'm sure it is infinitely worse today!!

I almost wondered until your last sentence, bingo!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

trailernovice wrote:

Maybe I haven't been clear....this is a design issue...not a 'manufacturing quality' issue...not a 'it got wrecked, and wasn't repaired properly' issue...not a 'he must have thrown the rig out of alignment' issue..

I was hoping there might be an engineer out there who could provide an explanation...it looks and seems funny to me, but I'm sure there's sound reasoning behind the design

I was hoping that you would answer a few simple questions so we could better understand how this thing could function properly.

Classic Lynnmor/Lilwiddis response....some days I’d swear you two are the same people with different IP addresses.

Just what is your problem, do you have anything to offer other than the usual criticism?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^LOL. I offer plenty of constructive help and advice, as much as anyone on here.
But to your post above, look in the mirror and then read what you write.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

The 'front to back' frame rails of the trailer (Jayco SLX 264BH) are not set evenly under the trailer...one of the rails is about 4 inches closer to the outside of the trailer than the other...put another way, the driver side rail is set about 8 inches from the outside edge of the trailer, while the passenger side frame rail is set about 12 inches from the outside edge

this is factory....nothing twisted or anything

Any ideas why it's designed that way?

I have one possible explanation as I have another brand of camper built on purpose to match what you are talking about. The left rear bathroom floor plan on yours is the same on mine. The rest of the camper is different, but that left rear bath creates drain pipe issues with the main trailer frame.

So here goes, see if this fits with how yours is made.

I am assuming this is your camper. Please confirm
https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2019-jay-flight-slx-8/264bh/

The left side rear bathroom. Shower against the left rear wall corner, toilet just forward of the shower and the toilet is up against the left side rear part of the wall.

In order to make the toilet drain connection into the black tank, the toilet drain pipe would have went right through the main camper frame rail if the frame rail was straight past the spring hangers to the back bumper. So they created a jogged main frame rail starting at the left side rear spring hanger area and moved the jogged frame rail out further on the left side so the black tank can fit and the toilet drain can pass through that area into the black tank.

You can confirm this by telling us the black tank dump valve is at the left rear of the camper and would line up with the toilet inside. Is this correct? If so, they may have even created a shorter height frame rail as part of the jog to pass over the dump valve.

See here on a Sunline camper I am restoring. This has the frame jog I am referring too.
[image]

[image]

[image]

A better pic of the frame jog starting at the rear spring hanger. The black tank is removed in this pic as I was rebuilding the floor. The black drain pipe you see is the grey water tank drain
[image]

Go have a look at yours, look at the left side rear spring hanger and see if the frame jog is there and if the frame jog rail to the end of the camper is shorter in height and report back.

Pics of your frame would really help if you can post showing the frame jog.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, only Jayco knows the real reason. All the rest is speculation and opinion.

Remember also,if it is not broke, don't fix it.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBarca wrote:

trailernovice wrote:

The 'front to back' frame rails of the trailer (Jayco SLX 264BH) are not set evenly under the trailer...one of the rails is about 4 inches closer to the outside of the trailer than the other...put another way, the driver side rail is set about 8 inches from the outside edge of the trailer, while the passenger side frame rail is set about 12 inches from the outside edge

this is factory....nothing twisted or anything

Any ideas why it's designed that way?

I have one possible explanation as I have another brand of camper built on purpose to match what you are talking about. The left rear bathroom floor plan on yours is the same on mine. The rest of the camper is different, but that left rear bath creates drain pipe issues with the main trailer frame.

So here goes, see if this fits with how yours is made.

I am assuming this is your camper. Please confirm
https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2019-jay-flight-slx-8/264bh/

The left side rear bathroom. Shower against the left rear wall corner, toilet just forward of the shower and the toilet is up against the left side rear part of the wall.

In order to make the toilet drain connection into the black tank, the toilet drain pipe would have went right through the main camper frame rail if the frame rail was straight past the spring hangers to the back bumper. So they created a jogged main frame rail starting at the left side rear spring hanger area and moved the jogged frame rail out further on the left side so the black tank can fit and the toilet drain can pass through that area into the black tank.

You can confirm this by telling us the black tank dump valve is at the left rear of the camper and would line up with the toilet inside. Is this correct? If so, they may have even created a shorter height frame rail as part of the jog to pass over the dump valve.

See here on a Sunline camper I am restoring. This has the frame jog I am referring too.
[image]

[image]

[image]

A better pic of the frame jog starting at the rear spring hanger. The black tank is removed in this pic as I was rebuilding the floor. The black drain pipe you see is the grey water tank drain
[image]

Go have a look at yours, look at the left side rear spring hanger and see if the frame jog is there and if the frame jog rail to the end of the camper is shorter in height and report back.

Pics of your frame would really help if you can post showing the frame jog.

Hope this helps

John
Exactly as I suggested/guessed, and the most likely/logical answer for the OP's question. Would be nice if the OP (who has been a forum member for 10 years) would return to verify that, though.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> why aren't the frame rails of TT set evenly from the sides?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.