RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Propane tanks 10 years old, what is best choice ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Propane tanks 10 years old, what is best choice ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

RAS43 wrote:

My 2 30# tanks are 16 years old and visually look good. No one has even looked at the date and questioned me and still fills them. I will continue having them filled until someone says NO.
I have a small 1 gallon tank that is 20+ years old and was told last year to get it checked before filling it again. I have a new 2 gallon tank filled and ready when the old one is empty. I se these with my grill for camping.

Avoid Tractor Supply then, they seem to have a company policy demanding that the date be checked. I've filled tanks at TS at several spots across the country and they all did check.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't see why anybody would advise somebody to avoid a business because they want to follow SAFETY REGULATIONS enacted to protect you and the public?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't see why anybody would advise somebody to avoid a business because they want to follow SAFETY REGULATIONS enacted to protect you and the public?

You are correct, I should not have posted that. But it's not like they seize the tanks if they are out of date, they just send you on your way. Free to go to the next propane fill place. So someone determined to avoid the inspection can do so.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a bad idea to have them checked for recertification. In 2018, one of mine was found to have a slow leak around the valve. The valve was replaced and and the tank recertified.

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take my 30s to a bilk seller. Last time I had them filled they had 1 month left before needing re-cert. They told me they would do it when I brought them back next time. I think he said $12. Of course that will be like 3 years. We just don't use much propane.

And yes they check dates. Not sure if LP tanks are the same as SCUBA, but SCUBA tanks are most likely to fail during refill.

I also have 2 other 30s I keep in the shop (bought from Amazon). He did miss them being new but was glad I told him since they have to be purged.

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison
2009 Chaparral 278DS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our 30 gallon tanks needed recertification both had leaking valves. The cost difference between the valve replacement and new tank, and 5 years versus 10 years, I just got new tanks.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live on the salt water, and I'm lucky to get 6-7 years on my 20# propane tanks (for my BBQ). I take them to get refilled and they often say: This will be the last time. Rust is the enemy. I've found that it is cheaper to exchange the tanks than to get them re-filled and re-certified. Life is too short to remove the rust and repaint.

Besides the fixed propane tank in the MH, I carry (2) 1 gallon tanks for the BBQ, fire-pit, etc., and they do not seem to have a problem with rust?

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Check the local propane vendors, I don't mean the cylinder swappers. One of them will do certifications and such. We got our tanks re-certified and since we got the tanks filled they didn't charge us for the service. No matter what it's cheaper than a new tanks.
Where I worked we had gas cylinders dating back to WWI, yes one. Re-certified every 10 years and in fine shape.
We have 2 100# tanks made by skellygas build dated in 1937 and 1941. No problem refilling them. Their tare weight is over 86# vs new tanks tare at 72#
Thats a lot thicker steel.
For our 20 & 30 # tanks, Amerigas recerts (5 yr) for free when we refill with them

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go to a propane dealer and get them recertified.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I have never seen an exchange program for any tanks but 20#cylinders. And yes for 20# I just exchange it. My 30# cylinders got recertified. I see a 30# cylinder is $65 on Amazon, I'd expect recert price to be more like $10.

Exchange typically only gives you 15 lbs of propane.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Propane tanks 10 years old, what is best choice ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.