|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Truck or New Engine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klyross wrote:

So, anybody rebuilding or replacing engines in their TC hauling trucks as opposed to buying a new or low mileage used truck?

And to quote a local radio show....
“Random, random, random, random....”

Bonus points for anyone who can identify the station and radio show! Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

klyross

Minnesnota

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. For now, I was just curious if anyone had gone this route and I picked the TC Forum to ask the question as we put a significant 'load' on our trucks.

I understand the issues of repair/remanufactured/new in crate/rebuild vs other truck parts will still be old, etc.
and I have just started researching prices - I also know the relatively high cost of new trucks.
Am also perusing the RAM forums.

But, your responses have cut me to the quick, so ...
2005 RAM 2500 5.7 Hemi 320,000 miles no rust (no winters), few repairs over the years, still runs great although not as strong in the mountains, most miles with TC on maybe 35% hauling a 3000# trailer as well.

I was considering having a trusted mechanic evaluate and price a repair, rebuild, overhaul, crate engine, remanufactured engine, etc. - a 'relatively' cheap 'fix' would likely render the question moot.
And yes, this is definitely new truck price cost driven - but no, resale is not an issue.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7.3 diesel keep chugging.
One of these days I will update the trans to new torque converter and beefed up parts.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look a little different. By the time most gas engines are wore out, the rest of the pickup may be getting tired.
My last PU, a exhaust manifold broke. Could buy, but been on for 20 years, likely bolt would break. To get it out, pull head. Would a 302 with 250,000 miles be worth putting head back on? So I checked price of new engine options. Could go that way, but before I placed the order I thought about transmission. If I bought the engine I would be married to the pickup. Anything else goes wrong would have to fix.
Now, IMHO the only reason to consider a diesel powered pickup, with the extra long life, is if the manufacture would sell you another truck at a big discount, 15-20 years later, that would fit the engine.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't in years but my father and I use to rebuild the old 69 Dodge 318 a number of times, mostly just the heads and exhaust valves.

Is it burning oil? Fuel mileage decreased recently? If not, odds are it is still going strong and doesn't need rebuilding. If so and it was my truck, I would probably tear the engine down for a top to bottom rebuild either myself or a trusted mechanic that routinely rebuilds engines. You may also want to discuss any upgrades for the engine that can increase performance while not increasing the wear and tear on the engine. While you have the engine out causing the AC to be discharged, I would also replace the heater core along with updating the heating unit doors with metal ones to ensure that isn't the next thing to go wrong.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recall our youtube member replacing engine on his truck lately.
Crated rebuilds seem to be the best deal. ... if you like your present truck.
I am old enough to remember the times where you could send engine block for honing, get new, bigger pistons and rings, then send the heads for valve repolishing.
But the engine repair shop I remember from over 10 years ago was converted to ... Pet Hotel.
The trade seems to vanish.

klyross

Minnesnota

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always the issue of when to stop repairs - yep.
Does not appear to be burning oil and the mileage never was very good, but, probably 1-2 mpg. worse now. If rebuild, heater core and performance upgrades could certainly be on the table. kohldad - we have a 2005 Lance 815 and I am coveting your 6.4 Hemi.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I,d only do it if it was a crate motor.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would give the old dog a bit more patience and let it run as is. Start putting away $500+ a month toward a newer truck. You should be able to pick up a 2022 model in 2026 for a decent price and have a good down payment by then.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

klyross

Minnesnota

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie - why, because a better warranty?
time2roll - but, I do not want to get stuck in the boonies at 9:00pm - and 320,000 miles is a lot, no?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Truck or New Engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.