|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of reasons to own an RV, from a Truck Camper to a D Pusher. Different folks choose what they like and fits a lifestyle, or accomplishes what each family needs or wants.

Same with folks that Hotel-Motel it. Same for folks that fly all over the world. Each one has a reason and a preferred method of travel, dining, sleeping. Most will never convert, nor be convinced or convince others it is the best way.

Any way one choses cannot fall into the "better financial" category. There is no real way to compare. Some folks like to cook, some like it cooked for them. In fact, it's amazing how many choices we have ... can easily boggle one's mind.

Does the dollar you save camping offset the purchase and maintenance?
Does the dollar you spend equal RV costs if you stay in a hotel?
Does the meal you cook and clean equal a chef serving a meal you may never cook for yourself?

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We may all take a beating with our RVs one way or another but that beating is nothing compared to owning a boat having similar accommodations as the RV in question. The amount of money that boaters throw at their addiction to fiberglass is mind blowing.

So far I guess that we have done OK with our truck & 5er. Truck & trailer combined cost a little over $80k in 2006. We have done over 2000 nights since then. Our per night cost is way better than most.

No complaints. The memories are priceless.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

We may all take a beating with our RVs one way or another but that beating is nothing compared to owning a boat having similar accommodations as the RV in question. The amount of money that boaters throw at their addiction to fiberglass is mind blowing.

So far I guess that we have done OK with our truck & 5er. Truck & trailer combined cost a little over $80k in 2006. We have done over 2000 nights since then. Our per night cost is way better than most.

No complaints. The memories are priceless.

Boat ie hole in the water that you pour money in.
We had a 24 ft er every weekend, it was bait,tackle, fuel, food, drinks..and other things..., Not so bad until you dd it all up

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

mowermech wrote:

As others have said, the money has little to do with it.
The facts are:
I know who slept in that bed last night, and when the bedding was washed last.
I know who cooked my meal, and I know nobody spit in the mashed potatoes, and I don't have to tip the server for mediocre service.
I know who bought the food that my meals were prepared from, and how it was stored.
I seldom get served wimpy coffee. When I do, I know whose fault it is, and what to do about it.
When I was working on fire bombers, I spent nearly all summer for years living in cheap motels, eating in restaurants. It didn't take long to realize that regardless of price for me they were all the same. It didn't matter if it was a cheap motel next to the airport or a Lodge-on-the-lake for twice the money (or more). The "thrill" wore off very quickly.

Our motorhome is more than 11 years old, so there are no annual registration fees. The registration is PERMANENT! So, the only costs are annual maintenance, insurance, and campground fees. I can live with those costs.

Also, since I can keep the RV at home, it makes a great guest house!

You forgot to mention the open bar!

Well, I suppose 6 bottles of Guiness and a couple bottles of wine COULD be considered an "Open bar"... That's about all you will ever find in our RV.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

mowermech wrote:

As others have said, the money has little to do with it.
The facts are:
I know who slept in that bed last night, and when the bedding was washed last.
I know who cooked my meal, and I know nobody spit in the mashed potatoes, and I don't have to tip the server for mediocre service.
I know who bought the food that my meals were prepared from, and how it was stored.
I seldom get served wimpy coffee. When I do, I know whose fault it is, and what to do about it.
When I was working on fire bombers, I spent nearly all summer for years living in cheap motels, eating in restaurants. It didn't take long to realize that regardless of price for me they were all the same. It didn't matter if it was a cheap motel next to the airport or a Lodge-on-the-lake for twice the money (or more). The "thrill" wore off very quickly.

Our motorhome is more than 11 years old, so there are no annual registration fees. The registration is PERMANENT! So, the only costs are annual maintenance, insurance, and campground fees. I can live with those costs.

Also, since I can keep the RV at home, it makes a great guest house!

You forgot to mention the open bar!

Well, I suppose 6 bottles of Guiness and a couple bottles of wine COULD be considered an "Open bar"... That's about all you will ever find in our RV.

Not bad for a night at home, Mowermech. Keep you warm on those Montana winters. [emoticon] Stay safe! M44

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we actua;y save money with our 5th wheel. when we bought it the daughter was playing hockey and would do about 6 tournaments a year. hotels cost around 200/night so that came to about 8400. with payments I pay about 6000/year and then campground fees are about 2200 for that same amount of time, plus we havent even got to the month of hollidays every year. so depending on how and how much you use it there is a potential to save a lot of money.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned many RV's, TT, TC, 5th, Cl a, cl b, cl c but only used them to camp.

Just wanted to share my experience between the two while on a one week fishing trip. The first year my son and I towed my boat with a TC. Thought I'd save money by not paying for lodging. Discovered it wasn't fun after a day's fishing then having to shower, cook at the campsite then sleep in a sleeping bag.

The following year we decided to tow the boat but stayed at a hotel nearby.
Was great coming back to clean sheets and towels and eating our meals at the restaurant.

Again, I camp in my RV but stay at a hotel/motel when a week or more on fishing trips.

IMO, it's up to individuals on what works for them.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 01:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll chime in here. For us, our fifth wheel does save us money. We have triplet boys and a dog. Many hotels only allow 4 to a room. That would mean we'd have to rent two rooms. Then they charge $75 non-refundable deposit for the dog, if they even allow dogs. If not, then there's the hassle of finding a kennel and paying those charges. Then we have to find 3 square means for the family.

My wife will NOT stay in a cheap hotel. It'd better be a Hampton Inn quality or above, preferably the Four Seasons. Before we had kids, we only stayed in Four Season, Fairmont, Ritz type hotels. Talk about throwing your money away!!! We eat healthy. No fast food. That means quality restaurants. We figure we spend an average of around $200 minimum a day for meals. Hotel would be $300-600 depending on if it's one or two rooms. That comes out to $500-800/day. I have the receipts to prove it.

Yes, that's a CHOICE to live at that level, but that's our level. The fifth wheel has a memory foam mattress. We have all our own linens and towels. I love to cook and grill anyway. We buy mostly organic food and prime meat when we can. It's still not cheap. But we don't have the HASSLE of looking for restaurants and hotels. And our dog gets to stay with us all the time, which the kids love. We don't have to pack and unpack our bags every few nights. I don't have to worry about bedbugs, who slept in my bed the night before, and whether they laundered the duvet.

If we fly domestically, airline tickets for a family of 5 are not cheap. We're not taking the red eye. I'm not waiting around in some stupid airport 3 hours for my plane, only to have to endure trying to sleep on an airplane with all that noise and rude people, and be served crappy food if they even serve food.

So yeah it's a lifestyle choice, but IMO for us, there's also an economic benefit to traveling this way. At the end of the day, I get to sleep in MY OWN BED, and that counts for a whole LOT IMO.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use both.

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try getting a motel or RV spot in Albuquerque during balloon festival. PRESIDENT'S COMPOUND: $250.00 per night (Sites on a bluff overlooking the Launch Field with city water pressure and 30-50 Amp RV Hook-up, this site also includes 4 general admission passes to the Launch Field valid during your stay)

Best part of the RV, I know who was in the bed and bathroom the night before. Nest time your in a motel just look under the bed, they clean what you can see.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.