|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> So Lost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesels are real kool when started at home, a roadside rest or campground but you pay dearly for that in decreased payload particularly in a 3/4 ton truck.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My door sticker says 4292. I was reading an article on noob mistakes in Truck Camper Magazine today...it said a common error was buying a 3/4 ton with a diesel because the diesel eats up so much payload you're left with 1/2 ton capacity.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a Reflection 367BHS, and I tow with a Ram 3500 SRW.

Im actually 10lbs over payload fully loaded, full tank of fuel.

By the time I get to the freeway, Im under payload.

2500 is not enough truck.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdmotex3 wrote:

So here's where I get lost.The sticker in the door says 2214? That mean I'm not even close. As I understand it my set up with a 3.31 axle could tow 14,100 but because of the pin weight of ~3,000# I would be over before I ever put it in drive? Sorry to be the noob here but it all makes my head hurt.

Well.... we all were noobs in the beginning till we learned which specs on a truck are tax purposes/emission specs/registration issues and which are the safe/legal load carrying specs.
The F250 is like all 3/4 ton trucks the most under rated truck on the road. Your truck has the same engine/tranny front and rear axle as the F350 SRW and if it has the heavy service pack option it can have the same spring packs as the SRW.

The truck will not struggle pulling a 14k trailer. But the rear suspension may not be up to carrying much over 3000 lb pin weight. Now add the 5th wheel hitch and other gear plus a percentage of occupants in the cabin. I would bet this trailer will overload the rear suspension unless it has the uprated spring pack options.

Fleet Ford specs say the your F250 has a 6340 RAWR that will carry all the pin weight. Using simple math ....your truck rear axle may weigh in the 3100 lb range leaving around 3200 lbs for a in the bed payload before exceeding a wheel/tire or possible the rear spring pack ratings.

You have the truck. AS others say drop by a set of scales and get its separate front and rear axle weights. That way you will know your trucks actual payload.

The next up Ford is the F350SRW with 7000 lb RAWR and good for around
3600 -3800 lbs in the bed. Better choice for 14k-15k lb trailers.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAWR and Wet PIN weight

YOU will be CLOSE

WEIGH THE TRUCK Camp- Ready then do the MATH

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rdmotex3

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN - are you saying that something like air bags would help or am I chasing a dead dream? I have heard the comparisons of 250 vs 350 but I don't know enough to make an informed decision. Not super interested in buying a new truck either so there is a part of me forcing the issue maybe?

handsome51

Baytown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not talking about anything legal as far as what the sticker saids the truck will haul. Buy you can buy a set of hellwig progressive helper springs for the rear. I have a 2001 F250 extended cab with a 8ft bed.It has the 7.3 diesel with a 3:73 rear end. The only difference between it and a 1ton single wheel truck is the springs. I have a 25k airsafe air hitch you have to have a forklift to put it in the bed. I have a 37 gallon fuel tank in front of the tailgate. I have a generator between the air hitch and the front of the bed. I have a 2006 Carriage 5th wheel that fully loaded and weighed on a scale. Weighs a little over 14,700lbs. Of that is a little over 3,100lbs hitch weight. So their is 11,600lbs on the tires. When I am hitched and you look at my truck from the side. It is still not level. It is just a fraction above level at the back. The truck has no problem pulling my 5th wheel . It has been pulling it now for 14 years. I am not saying the truck is legal. But you can fix your truck to do the job if you want to.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can easily upgrade the springs to carry the weight, air bags are an option but I don't like to use them for taking considerable loads. Your 2020 does have a different rear differential than an F350, but it is the same as older F350's and they worked just fine. With only a little expense and work you can have F350 performance.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

You can easily upgrade the springs to carry the weight, air bags are an option but I don't like to use them for taking considerable loads. Your 2020 does have a different rear differential than an F350, but it is the same as older F350's and they worked just fine. With only a little expense and work you can have F350 performance.

I agree, but would not hesitate to use air bags if needed. With the diesel upgrade, King Ranch, you likely have the 1 ton SRW tires and wheels. Look at max load on tires.

As some suggested, load it up, full fuel, weigh axles separately.

If you have the puck system, the B&W 3300 is a great hitch choice, and only weighs about 150 lbs.

Jerry

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags/other rear suspension products is a good choice for suspension help with safely carrying more weight. Also your F250 needs the 18"-20" higher rated wheels/tires like the F350srw to go along with more suspension help. Most F250 already has them but better make sure your wheel are not 17" sizes with lower load ratings.
Modifiying your new trucks suspension is a call your going to have to make as it will affect Fords new trucks chassis/suspension warranty. Tough call.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> So Lost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.