|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> So Lost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Op says his door sticker states just over 2200 lbs of capacity. Old biscuit wrote the 5ers wet pin is/should be 3200 lbs. My guess the truck itself weighs around (don't recall seeing OP's set up) 8500. If that's the case, legally only has 1500 lb avail for extra being it's a 10,000 GVW truck. So assume for a moment we use OB's numbers along w/ an assumed truck weight. 8500 + 3200 = 11,700 which according to my fingers and tows puts him over the trucks GVW by 1,700 lbs. Shoot, that's actually over a 350's GVW of 11,500 by 200#.

The truck makers GVWR or a GVWR based payload or the GVWR payload sticker isn't used to determine a overloaded truck. Nor do we face lawsuits for exceeding the truck makers GVWR.
Lawsuits regarding exceeding the mfg GVWR....RV internet myth. It doesn't happen on the commercial side so why is it just someone pulling their rv trailer that faces law suits for exceeding a GVWR.

Any theories why ??

Having pulled commercially with LDT size trucks civil lawsuits do happen to those in this line of work that our overloaded truck/trailer caused a accident...but the vehicles GVWR isn't used to determine that overload condition.

Why keep bring up commercial law when it does not apply to private use of a light truck?

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

Why keep bring up commercial law when it does not apply to private use of a light truck?

Ken

Probably because people keep making statements as if it does.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been reading about the doom and gloom of lawsuits for being overweight etc for years on this forum. I have yet to see a single post citing where it was leveraged in a liability suit. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've never seen anyone prove it despite the numerous claims. Willful negligence is very difficult to prove especially in an accident where so many other factors are involved. It usually comes down to failure to avoid an accident rather than willful negligence based on equipment. It would have to be pretty gross negligence. Any attorney worth his salt will take the path of least resistance and pick a strategy that is more easily understandable by a jury. I would imagine being slightly over your payload is never the primary cause of an accident for 3/4 and 1T trucks towing FW's. I encourage anyone to provide a case where this happened and put some teeth to this argument that continually shows up on this forum.

That said, numbers don't lie. If you run the numbers on the truck and trailer loaded for travel, they will tell you if you are overweight. And that's a factual and mechanical approach. Your equipment could fail or at least accelerate it's demise and performance could be affected. Is it the end of the world? No. I see clearly overloaded PU trucks daily leaving Big box stores.

The F250 and F350 are pretty identical with the exception of payload. You can buy add on equipment that is OEM that pretty much makes a 250 into a 350 with upgraded springs etc. It's a factory option - which always has me question the purpose of the F250 in the first place. Same price, can make the same capacity, etc. To each his own.

In it's current state with the current FW, loaded for travel, Your combination you are proposing appears to be overweight.

You can take remedies to try and compensate. Look at a smaller FW, get the proper springs, get a new truck, or roll the dice. Those are really your only options.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well said, go Barney![emoticon]

Jerry

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a Travel Trailer, foot for foot it will have a lot less weight going against your payload then a fifth wheel.

rdmotex3

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the input. I think I am trying to stick with the F250 however the writing appears to be on the wall. If I go down on the trailer to Reflection 28BH UVW: 8,997 lbs | GVWR: 11,495 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,592 lbs | Length: 34' 8" It appears I run into the same issues on a smaller scale. Am I reading it right?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Ken

LOL...where did I say anything about a commercial law. The subject is the same old tired rv myth that some how a truck owner can face civil lawsuit bilge for carrying more wight than the truck makers GVWR.
JFY a states weight codes covers any vehicle on the road. Commercial or non commercial is the same weight code for exceeding a trucks steer and drive ales/tires.

Quote:

also if you are an american towing in BC and you are overloaded by the GVWR if you get stoppped you can be fined and made to disconect and have to get your trailer towed.

BC members on this and other forums have said they have to register their trucks at a GVWR number.... which can be the truck makers GVWR or the sum of the GAWRS or between those numbers as their trucks GVWR.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdmotex3 wrote:

Thank you all for the input. I think I am trying to stick with the F250 however the writing appears to be on the wall. If I go down on the trailer to Reflection 28BH UVW: 8,997 lbs | GVWR: 11,495 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,592 lbs | Length: 34' 8" It appears I run into the same issues on a smaller scale. Am I reading it right?

This one, no issue at all! No added springs, no bags, no need to even weigh axles.

Just don't buy something you won't be happy with.

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always believed in having the right tool for the job! If I owned a 20 F250, I'd use it, upgrade it, if needed. Still not going to work??? I would simply move to 350 DRW, and done!

Had a GF tell me "you have the right tool for the job"! Yup, she knew a bit about trucks!

Jerry

* This post was edited 12/10/20 08:29am by an administrator/moderator *

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

BC members on this and other forums have said they have to register their trucks at a GVWR number.... which can be the truck makers GVWR or the sum of the GAWRS or between those numbers as their trucks GVWR.

if they did they let there insurance agent scam them. that is for comercial insurance only, recreational/personal use is exempt and doesnt apply.

we just went through this with a friends car trailer, they were trying to tell him he had to register his truck with the gvwr of the trailer but he only uses it for personaly non comercial reasons so it is exempt. this is just a comercial money grab by icbc. I dont use GVWR numbers anyways I use rear axel/axel limits thats what is important and the truck that is the subject of this post will most likely be over that when loaded.

the only thing a rv has to worry about is when they get over that 10400lbs is they need a house trailer endorsment on there licence which is another driving exame and pretrip test and another money grab by ICBC as all they did was take a comercial pretrip and apply it to a recreational vehicle. 1.3rd of the stuff on the pretrip doesnt exist on a normal pick up but oh well.

not many people get tickited for being overloaded as you have to look pretty overloaded for them to pull you over in the first place, then they have to have a way of verifying it so they have to be neer a scale, or have access to DOT portable scales. My point in buying my new truck was if I was in an accident and I was overloaded the other lawyer would try to make that a factor in the accident and show negligence on my part. plus I needed a new truck anyways so I would have ac and some other creature comforts.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> So Lost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.