|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> So Lost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had 11,000 lbs on the pin of my SRW and nothing broke. Your truck is going to pull and stop your trailer fantastic. Without airbags you might find the rear suspension squats more than you like. As others have said check that you’re not going to be over your your tire/rim ratings, have air bags installed and enjoy your new unit. And let us know how you like it.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My factory air bags are basically what supports my 6,000# pin and 9,750# RAW.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

2020 F-250 King Ranch 6.7 diesel
RAWR....6340#

2020 Reflection 367
GVWR ....14495#
22% for WET PIN....3200#

You will be over the trucks GVWR but under/right at the trucks RAWR/Tire Load Rating
THOSE are the weight ratings you need to be concerned with
**can control RV weight by NOT Loading it up to MAX GVWR

Load truck up now 'Camp Ready' ... you/All passengers/any-all 'stuff' (bags, back packs, containers etc) and HITCH

Go to a CAT Scale and get weighed... $12/15
Then you will have ACTUAL Truck Numbers to work with

rdmotex3 wrote:

So here's where I get lost.The sticker in the door says 2214? That mean I'm not even close. As I understand it my set up with a 3.31 axle could tow 14,100 but because of the pin weight of ~3,000# I would be over before I ever put it in drive? Sorry to be the noob here but it all makes my head hurt.

Well what Old-Biscuit suggest can put you in legal limbo if involved in an accident. While many will argue that GVWR has no legal status, read the towing section of your owners manual. It will state several times it is not safe to exceed and of the weights on your VIN sticker (NOT YELLOW STICKER). A good lawyer will seek to assign part or all blame to you in a civil suit. We live in a "It's Not My Fault" society. So even if some jerk pulled out in front of you you could end up paying.

Even if you do as suggested you are going to likely be over or very close to that rear GAWR. Your empty rear axle is likely to weigh 3,000 to 3,200#, leaving about 3,000# to 3,200#, but you still need a hitch, and DW?, kids, tools?
That 5er only has a 2,521# listed payload capacity, and is 41' long, not much payload for a long 5er.

I am sorry to say you have a very plush grocery highway cruiser.

Good luck with what ever decision you make.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just went through this thought process earlier in the year. We looked long and hard at F250's and decided the the payload capacity and the pin weight for the FW was cutting it very close. The F350 was pretty much the same price with greater payload. The model makes more difference than I originally thought. The King ranch has a lot more options and so it weighs a lot more than the STX. All those options chew up payload capacity. Granted you already have your truck but this comes down to a simple math problem. What's the payload capacity of your truck? This information can be found on Ford's website. Add in real world conditions like fuel, people, the hitch etc and subtract that from your capacity. Do the same for the FW. The pin weight is usually 20-25% of the weight of the FW. And use real world scenarios, like adding food and gear and water etc. I think you'll find this FW exceeds the payload capacity of your truck. Lots of folks will tell you "it's fine". That's up for you to decide. Numbers don't lie.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

We just went through this thought process earlier in the year. We looked long and hard at F250's and decided the the payload capacity and the pin weight for the FW was cutting it very close. The F350 was pretty much the same price with greater payload. The model makes more difference than I originally thought. The King ranch has a lot more options and so it weighs a lot more than the STX. All those options chew up payload capacity. Granted you already have your truck but this comes down to a simple math problem. What's the payload capacity of your truck? This information can be found on Ford's website. Add in real world conditions like fuel, people, the hitch etc and subtract that from your capacity. Do the same for the FW. The pin weight is usually 20-25% of the weight of the FW. And use real world scenarios, like adding food and gear and water etc. I think you'll find this FW exceeds the payload capacity of your truck. Lots of folks will tell you "it's fine". That's up for you to decide. Numbers don't lie.

The statement in red above is what gets many into trouble! The payload stated on Ford's or any other manufacture web site is the MAXIMUM Payload for a stripper model. The OP did the correct thing and looked at the Yellow Payload sticker for the Payload of his truck as it left the factory. It will never be greater than that number, unless you start taking thing off the truck to reduce weight.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the old days, the difference between 250 and 350 (SRW) was the springs...and nothing else. I don't know if that applies to the 2020's.

Before upgrading the springs, check:
- Tires Ratings
- Wheel Ratings
- Spring Ratings
- Axle Ratings

The lowest rating is your limit (someone will jump in if I missed a component). The first 3 are relatively simple (with cost) to upgrade. The axle can be done but it's a bit bigger of a deal.

If you want to go by the official ratings, you will be massively overweight if your payload is 2200lb. The Diesel should have no problem getting it forward but you will be squatting like nobodies business and you could be more prone to failures in the rear suspension (not necessarily instant failure but shorter life of parts)

Honestly, at 15k lb, I would be seriously looking at a dually even though some SRW trucks are technically rated for it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rdmotex3

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like the tires are the same in the 250/350. I am running LT275/65Rx20E OWL all terrain. The wheels are also the same 20"Painted Cast-Aluminum. Outside of the axle I don't see any other difference. I also have the 10,000lb. GVWR package which is listed as standard for F350. Just one more term that makes my head hurt. I very much appreciate the discussion as I am trying to make the most informed decision possible.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I bught my big 5th I had a 99 f250 it worked great and everything but I was 300 lbs over the rear axel weight with just me and a full tank of diesel. put timberens in it and it sat just nice, but eventualy I did buy a newer f350 so I would be leagal. for me it wasnt the strain on the truck as it was built exactly the same as a f350 minus one leaf spring, but rather the issue that if I was ever in a accident and a lawyer got wind that I was overloaded.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if the weight of the trailer is right.The best thing to do is to weight the trailer.Grand Design is not a heavy build trailer.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 41'LOA & over 6 ton dry weight you are in monster 5er territory. As many have pointed out you are either razor sharp borderline being over without serious truck mods or over by the time the truck is loaded up too.

The legal side is something to consider should you ever get into a crash, your fault or not.

Then there is the simple satisfaction & pleasure of having a truck that you know is well within spec with the load it is carrying. Those who have a SRW with the airbags & everything else say it tows just fine.

Those who had a SRW but now have a DRW say they would never go back to a SRW.

You will not know that you should have that 3500DRW till that windy day comes or the time comes when you go into a corner too fast with your 2500 & 14,000lb trailer behind you that has a mind of it's own. At that moment it will be too late.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> So Lost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.