|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Great Movie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m spending more time indoors nowadays like many others, so I try to find some decent entertainment occasionally. I search for free movies on the internet (I won’t pay for any movie), Every so often I come across something worthwhile. Tonight I watched one of the best movies I’ve seen in a very long time. It fit my criteria quite well; no foul language, as is often the case with movies that have an interesting plot. I won’t watch those at all.

The movie I watched this evening was “Capricorn 1”. Excellent acting throughout and a believable plot. I won’t say anything more about it, but if you like a movie that will hold your interest through its length, this is the one. So if you’re spending too much time indoors like me, I highly recommend this movie. It’s about 40 years old, I believe, but far better than some of the more modern ones IMHO. You’ll find it free on YouTube. Enjoy.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do remember that movie and yes... In todays world of conspiracy after conspiracy it is entierly all too believable. Even at the time due to the reason for the "Faking the landing" it was almost believable.

I happen to belong to a group of people who. though I myself likely would not be involved, many of my fraternal brothers and sisters Can and Would discover the fraud and swiftly too. But that is another story. I agree it was a good movie.

I liked the scenes with the 'copters talking to each other.

I also applauded when they crashed.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, wa8yxm, There are some people today who believe the moon landing in 1969 was faked. I'll bet they enjoyed this movie! With today's technology I bet almost anything can be faked.

It's too bad that so many modern movies have a "requirement" to include crude language in an otherwise good plot. I'm glad this movie didn't follow suit. Cussing is entirely unnecessary IMHO. Foul language has become such a natural occurrence among so many people it's now considered :normal". I'm glad I don't follow the crowd! [emoticon]

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr Ed wrote:

There are some people today who believe the moon landing in 1969 was faked

....good movie.

...that truly is incredible, since equipment left on the Moon by missions are still up there.....especially the laser ranging retroreflector, still working many decades after its installation. If anyone is in doubt, just visit the McDonald Observatory, in Texas, who use the reflector frequently [emoticon]

...actually spotting (by eye) a man-made artifact left on the Moon would be nearly impossible; even technology like the Hubble telescope would only resolve something as large as a football stadium from Earth's orbit out as far as the Moon's surface.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2 favorite genres are sci-fi and westerns, although some sci-fi films contain bad language, especially newer ones. Westerns don't appear to have that problem.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

My 2 favorite genres are sci-fi and westerns, although some sci-fi films contain bad language, especially newer ones. Westerns don't appear to have that problem.

Yeah ... and some recent movies are set in an older time period back in time and they still have the ultra-foul language being used by the characters ... when probably some of those words weren't widely used, if at all, back then!

What especially irritates me is when they have women characters using certain ultra-foul words ... of which I NEVER encountered women using when I was younger way back in "an older time period"!

I guess we now have gratuitous language - along with the other gratuitous stuff - to put up with in modern movies.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Yeah ... and some recent movies are set in an older time period back in time and they still have the ultra-foul language being used by the characters ... when probably some of those words weren't widely used, if at all, back then!

What especially irritates me is when they have women characters using certain ultra-foul words ... of which I NEVER encountered women using when I was younger way back in "an older time period"!

I guess we now have gratuitous language - along with the other gratuitous stuff - to put up with in modern movies.

I agree to an extent. Westerns are set in an older time period and you don't usually hear the swear words that are common today, although I believe I've come across exceptions. Like you, I'm also offended by women, and even little children, using foul language. It's just a fact of life nowadays. [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only problem is the landing was documented through a Chilean observatory and backed by the Hawaiian observatory. Moon rocks from missouri?

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a great movie for the whole family:

"Where the Red Fern Grows", may be found free on YouTube.

I also highly recommend, “Sign of the Beaver.”, which is also family fare. Takes place in early pioneer days. Free on YouTube.

* This post was last edited 12/11/20 08:56am by mr. ed *   View edit history

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....we will have to check that one out. Thanks.

Here is one (we are both over 60) that we fully enjoyed (free on Youtube): the 2015 film, A Bridge of Spies. A historical drama on the Cold War (the film entangles the capture of U2 pilot Francis Gary Powers, with the convicted and imprisoned spy, Rudolf Abel). No foul language. The film is an adaptation of the lawyer James B. Donovan memoirs entitled: Strangers on a Bridge; Donovan being an officer in the Office of Scientific Research and Development, and, eventual legal council for the Office of Strategic Services (OSS).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Great Movie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.