|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Great Movie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a great movie for the whole family:

"Where the Red Fern Grows", may be found free on YouTube.

I also highly recommend, “Sign of the Beaver.”, which is also family fare. Takes place in early pioneer days. Free on YouTube.

* This post was last edited 12/11/20 08:56am by mr. ed *   View edit history

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....we will have to check that one out. Thanks.

Here is one (we are both over 60) that we fully enjoyed (free on Youtube): the 2015 film, A Bridge of Spies. A historical drama on the Cold War (the film entangles the capture of U2 pilot Francis Gary Powers, with the convicted and imprisoned spy, Rudolf Abel). No foul language. The film is an adaptation of the lawyer James B. Donovan memoirs entitled: Strangers on a Bridge; Donovan being an officer in the Office of Scientific Research and Development, and, eventual legal council for the Office of Strategic Services (OSS).

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my favorite movies stars Sean Connery called Medicine Man. Not many friends have seen it. It's upbeat dealing with a cure for cancer found deep in the Amazon rain forest. Extremely realistic format. Probably the most-liked movie I've seen in ten years.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.....Medicine Man is a good movie. I think I have a copy of it in my DVD library.

There was some controversy over the inspiration behind the main character, as I recall? The inspiration for the movie was reported widely to be Dr. Wilburn H. Ferguson, a phytopharmacologist who was working several decades with the Jivaro tribe, deep in the Amazon. That tribe's oral pharmacological tradition reported some plant/derivative cured some form(s) of cancer....

Another related specialization is ethnobotany.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

.....Medicine Man is a good movie. I think I have a copy of it in my DVD library.

There was some controversy over the inspiration behind the main character, as I recall? The inspiration for the movie was reported widely to be Dr. Wilburn H. Ferguson, a phytopharmacologist who was working several decades with the Jivaro tribe, deep in the Amazon. That tribe's oral pharmacological tradition reported some plant/derivative cured some form(s) of cancer....

Another related specialization is ethnobotany.

I'll have to look that one up, too. Thanks. You too, MexicoWanderer.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, here's a late addition:

Call of the Wild. Free on YouTube and also highly recommended. Good story and action. Guaranteed to hold your attention.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite recent movie is Dancing With Wolves with Kevin Costner. Oldies? Citizen Kane and for a goofy. good time Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think I broke the record for watching “Quigley down under”

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way on the face of the earth they could make BLAZING SADDLES today. It was and is absolutely outrageous.

Another favorite is ZULU. The producers actually used Inkatha extras and demanded authenticity. They got it and the results are to me, the movie is as red-hot today as it was 50 years ago. FORBIDDEN PLANET and WAR OF THE WORLDS 1953 are very occasional standbys. For some reason ON GOLDEN POND really slammed me. One of the few domestic dramas that left me speechless. And I was horrified with Peter Jackson's efforts. The only way Tolkien's work can be presented is in thousands of pages or hopefully hundreds of Amazon episodes. Christopher Tolkien explained this best.
The first THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY had tears running down my cheeks. Lee Ermy's performance in FULL METAL JACKET had me laughing. But without a TV on purpose my movie reviews are pathetically thin.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

My favorite recent movie is Dancing With Wolves with Kevin Costner. Oldies? Citizen Kane and for a goofy. good time Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I wanted to watch Citizen Kane again, but all I could find were paid versions and I refuse to pay for movies. And yes, I also enjoyed Dancing with Wolves. Kinda sad at the end. Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is also a good laugh, and nothing offensive in it.

I also recall "Airplane" and Airplane 2" being real hoots.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Great Movie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.