RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is it a sin to modify an antique cast iron griddle?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > Is it a sin to modify an antique cast iron griddle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
32vld

LI, NY

Full Member

Joined: 09/26/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/14/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i feel we are keepers of history when we get an antique.

so i am in the camp of preservation. somethings are too far
gone to bring back. it makes me sad to see an old car that is
complete and original get cut up and modified. though some
cars are too far gone to bring back to their previous glory.
so let your custom spirit go.

now a practical question. so how does the handles overhanging
prevent you from using it?

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 12/15/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only if you mention it to someone...

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

Senior Member

Joined: 03/04/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/15/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand the feeling of responsibility to preserve something. One question in my mind would be, can you make it beautiful, if you change it?


3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/15/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No sin unless it has historical significance. Did Abraham Lincoln personally use this pan? I don't think so.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

SpeakEasy

Western New York

Senior Member

Joined: 04/22/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/15/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple years ago my wife bought me a dutch oven at a garage sale. She paid $15 for it. (I have a dutch-oven-cooking hobby.) What she got me was a Griswold that was about 100 years old. I never used it, but I cleaned it up a bit.

I was curious about whether it had antique value, so I did a little research. Turns out it was a rare item, and it appeared to have a value between $200 and $300. (I found this out by examining "completed" sales on e-bay for this exact item.)

Since I wasn't interested in using it (because it didn't fill a gap in my collection) I experimented with listing it on Craigslist. After a couple of false starts with potential buyers who weren't all that serious, I sold it for $200 to a collector.

Moral of the story - if it has antique value, why not find that out and sell it to someone who will appreciate it? My guess is that it doesn't have antique value, based on what you've said about it. Without a known name it is unlikely to have value.

Oh - and I split the "profit" on that Griswold with Mrs. S.

-Speak


It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!



2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB


GDS-3950BH

DC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/16/20 01:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

I understand the feeling of responsibility to preserve something. One question in my mind would be, can you make it beautiful, if you change it?


Its a chunk of metal and nothing more. It does not have to be "beautiful" to grill up a pancake but it does need to fit on the stove.

GDS-3950BH

DC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/16/20 01:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

No sin unless it has historical significance. Did Abraham Lincoln personally use this pan? I don't think so.



Daniel Boone may have fried up a squirrel or possum on it.

Diamond c

West ky

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/16/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daniel Boone cooked his squirrels and o possums on a stick he didn’t want to carry the weight of the cast iron.

TravelinDog

Nevada

Full Member

Joined: 07/20/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Naio wrote:

I understand the feeling of responsibility to preserve something. One question in my mind would be, can you make it beautiful, if you change it?


Its a chunk of metal and nothing more. It does not have to be "beautiful" to grill up a pancake but it does need to fit on the stove.

^^This^^
It belong to you so you should do as you please. If it doesn't fit on your stove or grill you're not going to use it so there would be not point in even having it. Grind away!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/28/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Naio wrote:

I understand the feeling of responsibility to preserve something. One question in my mind would be, can you make it beautiful, if you change it?


Its a chunk of metal and nothing more. It does not have to be "beautiful" to grill up a pancake but it does need to fit on the stove.

^^This^^
It belong to you so you should do as you please. If it doesn't fit on your stove or grill you're not going to use it so there would be not point in even having it. Grind away!


X2. There's nothing magical about cast iron regardless of the brand name. Modify it to your liking.


2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > Is it a sin to modify an antique cast iron griddle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.