RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: radio unit upgrade?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> radio unit upgrade?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Chevy 4500 chassis (2014 Coachmen 21QB) is in serious need of a radio upgrade. The one that's in it is (I think) an aftermarket unit, with bizarre controls, and no bluetooth, although it has a CD slot, SD card slot, and AUX input.

I need a hands-free phone operation to be legal in Tennessee and lots of other states, and also want to be able to stream music to the RV audio, through my cell phone bluetooth.

Has anyone upgraded this audio unit, and can give me some input on what route to go?

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most radios these days are one of several sizes called DIN (French national standards committee if you wonder what DIN is) Double, triple, quad DIN

All are the same width.. The difference is the height. All have the same control placement on the bottom part (The taller ones have screens for things like GPS)

www cruthfield com is a good shopping place

now one of the major differences is plugs and sockets.

Identify the make and model you have
Select the model that has the features you want

odds are very high Crutchfield has an "Adapt-a-cable" so the swap is plug and play

You may need to add one wire from the fuse block (Alawys hot battery lead) for memory retention but that's about all.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on Crutchfield.com

In addition to making your choice from a vast selection, they have wiring kits to adapt to the factory harness plugs, and also to work with factory controls such as warning chimes and steering wheel controls.

So simple and super easy to follow instructions. I did 2 TTs and recently my truck.
The people at Crutchfield are amazing to work with, very helpful.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Most radios these days are one of several sizes called DIN (French national standards committee if you wonder what DIN is) Double, triple, quad DIN

Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V. (DIN; So the French have finally adopted German, glad to hear it./

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Thanks for this suggestion. I have been putting off replacing the radio in our RV for some time but have kept putting it off. The one we have now is the 3rd radio for it.

Anyway, I checked out Crutchfield and they had a variety of units that fit our 2004 Sprinter/2005 LTV RV and one had all that I wanted so I ordered it and it will be here in two days.

I have installed the other two radio updates but Crutchfield includes installation instructions and what is needed so I am confident I can do it again.

Motivation for new radio was to get phone (android) recognition and be able to have hands free calling and ability to stream audio books from my phone.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the factory in-dash unit in my 2010 Chevy 3500 based RV with a Kenwood/Garmin unit that had GPS, HD and SirrusXM (no Apple CarPlay or Android Audio at that time). It was simple to find a unit and all the cables necessary.

Also replaced the in-dash unit in my 2016 Sprinter based RV with a very similar unit. A bit more difficult to find the cables since the Germans use different connectors, but I finally found everything I needed.

A bit more difficult to do in newer vehicles like my 2020 Jeep since many manufacturers have less space available behind the dash so one needed to find a half-depth unit. That wasn't an issue when I did the replacement in my 2011 Jeep though.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

All are the same width.. The difference is the height. All have the same control placement on the bottom part (The taller ones have screens for things like GPS)

now one of the major differences is plugs and sockets.

Identify the make and model you have
Select the model that has the features you want

odds are very high Crutchfield has an "Adapt-a-cable" so the swap is plug and play

You may need to add one wire from the fuse block (Alawys hot battery lead) for memory retention but that's about all.

I think that the rear camera monitor is a separate unit.

Otherwise the unit looks like a a single DIN... it's pretty small.

Will I need a pickup mic for the bluetooth?

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

Will I need a pickup mic for the bluetooth?

You'll need a mic for the hands free for your phone, not for the bluetooth. Bluetooth is built in to the stereo unit.

My replacement stereo from Crutchfield came with the mic. Yours will too if you buy one with BT and hands free for the phone.

When I start my truck, the stereo detects the phone and grabs the signal.

You need to pair the phone, only once when you first install it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> radio unit upgrade?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.