|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> My 2 favorite gifts as a youngster

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here I am, reminiscing again. I was somewhere under 12 when I received my 2 favorite gifts on separate Christmases
1. A chemistry set
2. A microscope

My parents knew I was interested in science, so they gave me gifts accordingly,
I’m not sure if a chemistry set is available nowadays due to concerns over kids concocting some sort of dangerous substance. I do admit I made gunpowder once, using the sulfur and powdered charcoal contained in the set. I obtained potassium nitrate from another source. Not having bomb making experience, I never got it to explode, though. [emoticon]

The microscope wasn’t a piece of plastic junk, like you often find today. It was all metal and close to being professional quality. It certainly wasn’t purchased in a toy store. I spent many a time inspecting pond water, among other things. It’s quite amazing, the creatures you find living in a drop of pond water. I wish I still owned that microscope today.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

So here I am, reminiscing again. I was somewhere under 12 when I received my 2 favorite gifts on separate Christmases
1. A chemistry set
2. A microscope

My parents knew I was interested in science, so they gave me gifts accordingly,
I’m not sure if a chemistry set is available nowadays due to concerns over kids concocting some sort of dangerous substance. I do admit I made gunpowder once, using the sulfur and powdered charcoal contained in the set. I obtained potassium nitrate from another source. Not having bomb making experience, I never got it to explode, though. [emoticon]

The microscope wasn’t a piece of plastic junk, like you often find today. It was all metal and close to being professional quality. It certainly wasn’t purchased in a toy store. I spent many a time inspecting pond water, among other things. It’s quite amazing, the creatures you find living in a drop of pond water. I wish I still owned that microscope today.

Go ahead and buy a decent one.
My wife who was a biology major and science and math teacher and I have always loved ever aspect of nature and quite a few years ago after raising a family of eight got a chance to spend a few bucks on ourselves and bought a good microscope.
I Love playing on it and can for hours at a time enjoy watching the microscopic pak men and other mini critters in a tiny drop.
We winter in the Florida Keys and what has amazed me the most is the fact that I see the exact same hydra, protozoa and amoebas in a drop of salt water from the mangroves that I see in a drop of fresh water from our mountain ponds.

Guy

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I recall is that there were many advertisements which had pictures of doctors and nurses wearing face masks. I do NOT recall ANY of us not knowing the purpose of these face masks. My Mom made several cloth masks for us to wear whenever we played doctors and nurses. Toy microscopes were fascinating,...in 1947.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

What I recall is that there were many advertisements which had pictures of doctors and nurses wearing face masks. I do NOT recall ANY of us not knowing the purpose of these face masks. My Mom made several cloth masks for us to wear whenever we played doctors and nurses. Toy microscopes were fascinating,...in 1947.

I don't recall any interest in face masks back then. We'd play doctors and nurses with toy surgical tools and cinnamon flavored red candies that were included for "medicine".

Yes, and those toy microscopes were just that..toys. (cheap plastic construction and poor optics). I'm glad my wonderful parents had the foresight to give me a real, quality microscope. I kept it for years, but when I returned home after 4 years in the military the microscope couldn't be found. Evidently one of my siblings absconded with it! [emoticon]

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Christmas 1961 got my first NEW bicycle.....24" with 3 speed thumb shifter on handle bar.
Course Christmas in UT meant SNOW....but I was out there riding it up/down our street with a huge smile

December 1963 got my first shotgun --- single shot .410 and box of shells
Got to go Pheasant Hunting with my Dad and Brother just before end of season.
First Pheasant startled me --- waited until I was almost on top of it before taking flight...and when they jump up it's like a prop plane right in front of you.
Got my first Pheasant that day....but mostly was running down/packing the ones Dad & Brother shot

Christmas 1965 got a chemistry lab (lots of chemicals, metal microscope, flasks, test tubes).
Basement had a 'coal room' where back in the day coal was delivered ....dumped down the coal chute into that room. Room had a half door.
That place became my laboratory.
Made lots of rockets, 'cracker balls', firecrackers, roman candles (unbeknown to my folks!!)....came to an abrupt halt when I stunk up the whole house mixing some chemicals together

Chemistry Kit....full of dangerous chemicals w/o much warning labels etc
Couldn't get one now w/o Federal License LOL

Played Doctor with Michelle....new neighbor...don't remember any surgical toys but sure do remember Michelle !!!!!

Growing up in the 50s, 60s was GREAT!!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Hammerhead

North of Normal

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine would be a model train set we all had to share and I still have all of the rolling except the engine 40 years later. Any new toy truck or hot wheels were all I ever asked for.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. IBM PC Jr. (I laughed my head off when Apple brought back the chicklet keyboard!)
2. Boombox and headphones

With that combination, and my own purchase of Borland Turbo Pascal, I could rock out without bothering anyone while writing fairly simple applications. Yes, I'm a Software Engineer, and I still like listening to music while I code. [emoticon]

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 1948, for Christmas, I got my first 'real' fishing rod and reel. I had been fascinated by seeing advertisements of fishing equipment in some of my Dad's magazines. But, the ultimate Christmas present was a 1951 real English racing bike, special-ordered from Sears and Roebuck. Nobody around where I grew up had ever seen one.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Christmas 1961 got my first NEW bicycle.....24" with 3 speed thumb shifter on handle bar.
Course Christmas in UT meant SNOW....but I was out there riding it up/down our street with a huge smile

December 1963 got my first shotgun --- single shot .410 and box of shells
Got to go Pheasant Hunting with my Dad and Brother just before end of season.
First Pheasant startled me --- waited until I was almost on top of it before taking flight...and when they jump up it's like a prop plane right in front of you.
Got my first Pheasant that day....but mostly was running down/packing the ones Dad & Brother shot

Christmas 1965 got a chemistry lab (lots of chemicals, metal microscope, flasks, test tubes).
Basement had a 'coal room' where back in the day coal was delivered ....dumped down the coal chute into that room. Room had a half door.
That place became my laboratory.
Made lots of rockets, 'cracker balls', firecrackers, roman candles (unbeknown to my folks!!)....came to an abrupt halt when I stunk up the whole house mixing some chemicals together

Chemistry Kit....full of dangerous chemicals w/o much warning labels etc
Couldn't get one now w/o Federal License LOL

Played Doctor with Michelle....new neighbor...don't remember any surgical toys but sure do remember Michelle !!!!!

Growing up in the 50s, 60s was GREAT!!

Your post reminds me of going hunting with my 12 gauge Mossberg shotgun. That was quite a bit overkill for the small game on Long Island, I recall firing at a fleeing rabbit. It dropped dead immediately, but I couldn’t find any wound on its body. I believe it died of fright from the blast of the shotgun!

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerhead wrote:

Mine would be a model train set we all had to share and I still have all of the rolling except the engine 40 years later. Any new toy truck or hot wheels were all I ever asked for.

I also got a Lionel train set one year. the engine and various cars were all full-size (I think there were smaller versions available at the time, but maybe I'm thinking of the HO model trains, which were quite small, as I recall).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> My 2 favorite gifts as a youngster
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.