RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Worth the effort?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Worth the effort?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jerryleejr

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve stumbled across what I believe is a decent deal on a 3500 CC. The catch is its SRW. I’ve never done a conversion to DRW nor 19.5” wheels. However using OEM parts will increase payload 2K for this model year and put me more comfortably where I need to be at a significant savings over a new truck. Just making sure the initial savings is worth it and not cause headaches down the road...

JJ

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bit more info would help. What 3500 truck, brand/year, and what do you plan to tow with it?

Had a camp neighbor next to me with a converted 350 van, towing a little mini trailer.

[image]

Jerry

jerryleejr

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

A bit more info would help. What 3500 truck, brand/year, and what do you plan to tow with it?

Had a camp neighbor next to me with a converted 350 van, towing a little mini trailer.

[image]

Jerry

It’s a 4th Gen Ram 3500 CC and would be hauling 5-5500 in the bed and towing a small utility trailer. Most do the same with the 3500 DRW’s which why I’m looking at the conversion...

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds fun but I would check the axle weight capacity to be sure it’s worth continuing. Craig

jerryleejr

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

That sounds fun but I would check the axle weight capacity to be sure it’s worth continuing. Craig

The conversion would include the upgraded axle....

JJ

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like a worthwhile upgrade, on a later model truck. The guy with the van in pic told me the cost of kit (I don't remember), and not a big deal to convert. I think cost was less than I expected, but you have likely checked on that.

Jerry

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s 2 ways to covert. Buy the Arrowcraft kit and use the existing axle, but it might not have much reserve capacity left. It’s nearly as easy to just swap in a dually axle.

FWIW - I originally converted my can with the Arrowcraft kit. No issues with that kit, but my axle was a Dana 70 and was was still pushing a it 7,800# rating. One trip i spilt my diff carrier in half once when I jumped the van going a wee bit too fast, with a trailer in tow on a hitch extension. Then another trip I sheared the pinion gear, sending my driveline across the highway, when I did a 3rd to 1st WOT downshift with torque management turned off, when I went to pass a Honda Civic on a steep uphill while towing the travel trailer.

So now I have a dually Dana 80 axle. If I break this one, I’ll try the Dana S110 next, since my rear axle weight does top 13,000 pounds at times

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jerryleejr

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

There’s 2 ways to covert. Buy the Arrowcraft kit and use the existing axle, but it might not have much reserve capacity left. It’s nearly as easy to just swap in a dually axle.

FWIW - I originally converted my can with the Arrowcraft kit. No issues with that kit, but my axle was a Dana 70 and was was still pushing a it 7,800# rating. One trip i spilt my diff carrier in half once when I jumped the van going a wee bit too fast, with a trailer in tow on a hitch extension. Then another trip I sheared the pinion gear, sending my driveline across the highway, when I did a 3rd to 1st WOT downshift with torque management turned off, when I went to pass a Honda Civic on a steep uphill while towing the travel trailer.

So now I have a dually Dana 80 axle. If I break this one, I’ll try the Dana S110 next, since my rear axle weight does top 13,000 pounds at times

My understanding the current axle has a 11k rating...

JJ

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget the front spacers, new front wheels, and a bed. Might be cheaper to keep looking for a real dually.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerryleejr wrote:

MFL wrote:

[image]

Jerry

It’s a 4th Gen Ram 3500 CC and would be hauling 5-5500 in the bed and towing a small utility trailer. Most do the same with the 3500 DRW’s which why I’m looking at the conversion...

Please tell why you would need 19.5's? My 15 RAM DRW has factory 17's ands a LOT of tire capacity with having full RAWR of 9,750# on the rear tires with a 6k pin weight.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Worth the effort?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.