RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toad or No Toad ?- Grand Canyon road trip in a 23' class A

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> Toad or No Toad ?- Grand Canyon road trip in a 23' class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't do the canyon with any coach. stay in Williams Az, and take the train. the tourist season the park is very - very crowded the day we took the train the park was allowing 1 car in as 1 left. many never got to enter.

do the north rim by coach, there are several great campgrounds there. A small trailer and a ATV was great fun.

remember the north rim is very remote,, but very beautiful.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

IMO take the toad.

YES. X2

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

IMO take the toad.

agree. if for no other reason than to not have to break camp for a day teip. you'll also have a lifeboat in the event the RV breaks down.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most here have (or will) say to always take a toad. I personally think that's a bit too absolute.

If you're planning on moving to a different campground every day or two, a toad is in my opinion much less necessary and more of an increased hassle than if you tend to stay for maybe a week or so at one campground and explore the area before moving on to the next. Similarly, if you're willing to hike or bike some to get around, in many cases that can be done rather than needing a car. Having a toad makes it harder to stop while en route, to get gas or groceries or visit some intermediate attraction; but once at the destination, it can become a distinct advantage.

I've never travelled with a toad, and rarely if ever wished I had one. Partly that's because, not having one, I plan the trip such that one isn't really necessary (which may mean skipping certain destinations). Most who do travel with a toad likewise rarely if ever wish they didn't have it along, I only assume because they plan and travel knowing full well it's there. The choice itself tends to lead to certain styles of traveling, for lack of a better description.

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I've never travelled with a toad, and rarely if ever wished I had one. Partly that's because, not having one, I plan the trip such that one isn't really necessary (which may mean skipping certain destinations). Most who do travel with a toad likewise rarely if ever wish they didn't have it along, I only assume because they plan and travel knowing full well it's there. The choice itself tends to lead to certain styles of traveling, for lack of a better description.

Great Points. A 23' GMC has about the same footprint as a longbed crew cab dually.

I think it may work out to be toad free and it solves a lot of other problems.

It also might help to force my family to hike and bike more.

Having not actually used the thing i'm just listening to other people's perspectives to figure out what might work for my crew.

Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid

1972 Revcon

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GMC RV altho nice great looking will be cramped for 4 adults. Children 10 and 13 will take up about as much space as adults. A toad will at least give the family a chance to spread out a little and get out of the cramped quarters while seeing the sights, in my opinion.

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

The GMC RV altho nice great looking will be cramped for 4 adults. Children 10 and 13 will take up about as much space as adults. A toad will at least give the family a chance to spread out a little and get out of the cramped quarters while seeing the sights, in my opinion.

Just two adults and two kids. we function remarkably well in a small space.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with what DrewE wrote. And that has been our experience. We used to travel toadless with our 23' Class C. Changed campgrounds pretty much every day. Left one campground in the morning, did our sightseeing, shopping, etc. then found a campground up the road. Sometimes only a few miles up the road! But those were the days when RVing wasn't as popular as today. Now you need reservations at alot of places.

Over the years, we bought bigger and bigger motorhomes. Now we have a toad and stay at campgrounds many days each. So our traveling/camping style has changed.

Sometimes I do long for the olden days when we traveled more simply in the smaller rig, could drive and camp down any forest road, etc.

Sounds like you want to go on this trip without a toad. It is certainly possible. Like DrewE wrote, you just have to plan that way. But there are some sites where parking might be difficult/crowded. You just have to accept that.

I suggest that you take a short camping trip with the family close to home with your new-to-you GMC before you venture across the country....a trip where you go sightseeing each day, to mimic the big road trip.

I would definitely stay at the campground inside the GCNP South Rim....Trailer Village. Make reservations!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ditched our toad years ago and have no regrets. We get around just fine in our Winnebago Navion, which is almost 26 feet long. We have gone sightseeing through national parks with no problems, and finding parking has always been easy. Same thing traveling in narrow and congested streets in San Francisco, CA and Old Quebec City in Canada. I would only recommend renting a car if you're planning on staying put in one place for extended periods.

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

Sometimes I do long for the olden days when we traveled more simply in the smaller rig, could drive and camp down any forest road, etc.

Sounds like you want to go on this trip without a toad. It is certainly possible. Like DrewE wrote, you just have to plan that way. But there are some sites where parking might be difficult/crowded. You just have to accept that.

I suggest that you take a short camping trip with the family close to home with your new-to-you GMC before you venture across the country....a trip where you go sightseeing each day, to mimic the big road trip.

I would definitely stay at the campground inside the GCNP South Rim....Trailer Village. Make reservations!

I definitely want to do this trip without a toad. It's 38 hours of driving to the first stops, Carlesbad, Grand Canyon, whatever other big attraction in that area.

Then to the East bay where we can rent a car for a few days while we visit family, then to yellowstone.

Then home.

With limited vacation days the contingency if the coach has a problem would be to rent a minivan and finish the trip. I would not want to do that in a Civic.

But i'm getting a lot out of everyone's perspectives. We will do some shakedown trip in the Spring but the west is so much different from here that it's hard to know.

Also, Covid might still be a big factor. If the vaccine is moving along but there still restrictions then i'd want my own car instead of a crowded shuttle bus.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> Toad or No Toad ?- Grand Canyon road trip in a 23' class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.