RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Towing challenges with flagstaff 25FKS

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing challenges with flagstaff 25FKS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, a few things. It shouldn't sway. So maybe you have it loaded wrong or overloaded. Yes, towing even that little weight with a 1500 you will feel it. Sometimes its the P rated tires on the truck, sometimes you need to get better shocks. But it still shouldn't sway. With that said, you also need to make sure the e breaks are set correctly and the tires are aired up properly.
Now, a 2500 will help with a few things. Millage, will go up a bit like to 11 or 12. The truck is bigger all around, so more room inside and in the bed. It will help with any sway you feel driving. Plus it will have some umpf to accelerate and stop better. They also have much larger fuel tanks so you dont have to stop as much. Now that equals shorter trip time. I would get a gasser , if you dont plan on upgrading to a monster rv in the future. In fact thats what i did. My 2012 sierra, could tow my simmiler TT but doung ling trips wasn't fun. The fule stops were many and the tring to get back on the busy hyway kinds sucked. So , get the gasser. You'll be happier. And check the tires and breaks. Make sure you dont over load the TT also. The bigger truck beds in the 2500 can hold a ton of stuff.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At about 8000 pounds loaded I WOULD hesitate to pull that Flagstaff. I have the 3.42 rear end. Isn’t your truck maxed at 15000 CGWR? Bet you are over payload or will be with 14-15% tongue weight.

With 5200 pounds of TT I’m getting 12+ MPG.
[image]

* This post was edited 12/12/20 10:43am by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A new Chev 2500 HD with diesel has near same payload as 3500 diesel. It has available GVWR 11,300.

Jerry

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your toung weight also. If its too light, you will get sway.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking online, that's about 6800lb GVWR.

So that's well within 1/2 ton truck capability and a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel is overkill and the extra $10k for the diesel will never come close to paying for the truck in fuel savings unless you are towing 50k miles per year. Not saying it's a bad option but you need to fix the underlying problem regardless of the truck.

A bigger truck will tow better but it won't make a sway problem go away just by sheer size. Most common sway problem is due to too little hitch weight.

No you won't get great MPG but 7mpg does sound a little low. What speed and gear are you running in? What's the RPM while at cruise speed? If you are running at 75mph, 7mpg is pretty good. If the transmission is constantly hunting for gears, you may want to lock out overdrive and it may improve things.

Also, what are you carrying in the truck? You might be overweight if you loaded the truck up heavily...remember it's not just the stuff in the bed but passengers, running boards and anything else you bolt on. For example, we are currently pulling a trailer at about 7500lb but between passengers and gear, there is probably another 1200lb in the truck right now.

It would be helpful if you give us the full details on the truck. There is a yellow sticker on the door jamb that gives all the weight ratings. Ideally, you would take the trailer to the local CAT scale ready for a trip and get the real weights and compare to the sticker on the door.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn’t your 1500 limited to 15000 pounds GCWR like mine? You should be exceeding max tongue weight too at 14-15%.

[image]

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

A 3.23 rear ratio is simply the wrong ratio ! Minimum of a 3.73. Withe the CORRECT engine, transmission, rear axle and load package a 1/2 ton should pull that trailer fine.

That’s not necessarily the case anymore. Gear ratio mattered when transmissions only had 5 or 6 speeds. Today’s 8 and 10 speed transmissions mated to a 3.23 rear end will pull similar to the old 6sp and 3.73s.

A half ton truck should be able to pull that trailer comfortably if set up correctly, meaning properly loaded, hitch adjusted, e rated tires aired up etc. Fuel mileage will suck, literally, but 7mpg is pretty low. Keep your speeds down and it should be better.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No way do you need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck for that TT.
I would look at GM 3.0 1/2 ton diesels or Ram 1500 diesels.
Your TT comes from the factory with a 12& tongue weight. Being a front kitchen a lot of stuff is loaded in the front making the TW even heavier. I'm guessing that you either don't have strong enough spring bars or you're not returning the front of the truck back to near OEM ride height.
Also are you using a friction based WDH?
IMO I would look for a another 1/2 ton with decent payload in a diesel if you're wanting better mpg's.
With that being said, how fast are you towing?

Metzfamily

Little Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only new to RVing but posting on forums too. We have maxis trailer tires that we put on new. We thought that would help the sway. It didn’t. We pull at a max speed of 68 MPH most of the time 65 and 60 in the wind. The current truck squats a lot when attach the TT. We have a lot of experience pulling boat trailers and low to the ground box trailer (high school band trailer). and never had one that will sway. I think we have the sway under control as long as the weight distribution hitch is on.
We do load the bed of the truck because the camper has a slide. We put our bags and food in camper. The bed of the truck has all camping stuff.
We check tire pressure s for both truck and TT before and during all trips.

Metzfamily

Little Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know how to delete a post

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing challenges with flagstaff 25FKS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.