RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Requirements for towing and setup of a TT 3500lbs or less

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Requirements for towing and setup of a TT 3500lbs or less

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have traveled over 100K miles since retiring in a Class A and thinking about downsizing to a small TT towed with a F-150 or equivalent 1/2 ton truck and have several questions. Would any special hitch be required like a WDH or any anti sway device on a small TT weighing 3500 lbs or less? Secondly I was told the stabilizing jacks on the larger TT's were not strong enough to level and blocks under the tires were required, is that the same for a small TT? Having never towed before other than a boat are there any other difficulties that I should be aware of?

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If loaded properly with sufficient tongue weight a trailer shouldn’t sway and shouldn’t need a special hitch. If the tongue weight is within your truck’s receiver rating you shouldn’t need a wd hitch either. Try it and see how it tows.

Stabilizer jacks are just that, for stability. They are extra contact points to the ground to hinder bounce and movement. They are not designed to support the trailers full weight for levelling. Use blocks under the wheels for that.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow 2018 Airstream Bambi 16 with a 2018 Toyota tacoma crew cab short bed. GVW for the tt is 3500 lbs and tw is 350 lbs. We use no weight distribution just a hitch bar with ball. We did get the hitch bar with a tang so that we could use friction sway control. We didn't have any hint of sway but had the sway bar so why not use it. Sure makes for a simple towing experience.

If you want to level use something under tires. Jacks are for stabilize.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Half ton pickup, simple ball mount, proper tongue weight, and electric tongue jack makes for a great, easy, comfortable, and safe tow. Have fun. Remember, you said 3.500 pounds, not 8,500.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What they said. Only thing is, you may or may not need a wdh. Depends. Is the TT dry weight under 3500 or total? I used a wdh hitch with my 4200 dry weight TT. It was needed. You can use blocks to level side to side, i use the camco curved levelers now. They work great for a tandem axel. If single , step chocks or a lot like the bal leveler. I will also say if you dont get a wdh with sway controll, get the smallish sway controll friction arm. Good cheap insurance.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 3500 pound Tt with my 2011 F150. I do not use a wd hitch or sway control I have pulled my TT's over 30,000 miles in 3 years and have never had a problem I do have the max tow package, 3.5 Ecoboost. I love the combination.

* This post was edited 12/13/20 05:10pm by BarabooBob *

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from a class A you are asking for a lot more work to set up and tear down. Also rest stops will be very different.

Wish you well on your move to a 3k TT.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

Coming from a class A you are asking for a lot more work to set up and tear down. Also rest stops will be very different.

Electric drill for the stabilizers, drop the coupler on the ball and out the gate. Hoses, electric, water, are the same difficulty. Five minutes to hitch and go, or leave trailer hitched for overnight stops.

Most Class A's tow a vehicle which is much more difficult to hook up and nearly impossible to back up.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you really want to go to a TT with auto leveling. Look at Outdoors RV. Four season but they are very heavy.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

That was part of my question what is the lot more work or other difficulties that I am not seeing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Requirements for towing and setup of a TT 3500lbs or less
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.