RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Best and worst routes across the Mountains ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Best and worst routes across the Mountains ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

The main mission is to introduce my kids to a vast extended family on the west coast.

We pretty much pass the Grand canyon on the way there and if we see my brother in portland, we pass Yellowstone on the way back.

25 days, 7500 miles.

We travel pretty well together. We did about 5000 miles last summer in a few small trips on the East Coast but that was with an Excursion pulling a hybrid.

I am a very seasoned driver but wise enough to appreciate my inexperience in the mountains.

What a great trip.
Where at the coast?
I would avoid the LA/Cal area if possible by doing the red rock country thru Moab Ut. then use I-15 / I-84

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Where at the coast?
I would avoid the LA/Cal area if possible by doing the red rock country thru Moab Ut. then use I-15 / I-84

In 1946 my uncle moved from Massachusettes to Albany California where he had nine children and 28 grandchildren, and i have lost count of the great grandchildren.

One grandchild is a flight attendant, he is the ONLY one of my uncles 50+ descendants who does not still live within 30 miles of that house in Albany.

That is the actual goal of the trip and if we blow an engine in the rockies and pull up in a rental car it will still be a success.

SInce i began this thread we already shifted the track- straight to yellowsotne and the down instead of Grand Canyon and then up. We will not add desert heat to the list of failure points.

* This post was edited 12/16/20 09:11am by hertfordnc *

Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid

1972 Revcon

aerbus32

california

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

You may want to keep a copy of Mountain Directory West handy to help plan the routes.

Definitely do that! Do not get anywhere near 1 south of Stinson Beach. Do not take 101 thru SF. (I’d suggest you take 20 south of Willits to 5.) Make reservations way, way in advance for your RV sites. I’d strongly recommend from Sacramento south you take 99 (better RV parks) or 5 to 58. Tehachapi is easier than Grapevine. 58 gets you to I-40. With our previous 37’ Class A, we always spent the night at Orange Grove RV. From there we could get an early start to get over the pass before it got hot. We could also keep an eye on the winds. It can get real windy thru all the So Cal passes. (More than happy to share excellent RV parks along the routes.)

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

Busskipper wrote:

Enough - of my stories - you need to be sure you have many cameras - take Hundreds of Images (Every Day) then store them so you can find them later - they will be Priceless.

That's funny. I'm a photographer for the US Coast Guard. But sometimes it becomes work and i don't feel like it. But this will be pretty well photographed.

While I was only an Amateur photographer - in High School and College I shot 10's of Thousands of images - with Negatives - of the sports - used to carry all the Gear, all over the world - but now just a small Zoom and the Phone, still I fail to follow my own advice and never take enough Images of the People/Boys/Kids.

Give the Boys a Phone or a Camera and you might be surprised - we had two boys - we still do trips together - so you may have more time than you think - amazing how thing come Full Circle. [emoticon]

I am 60 years old. my boys are 10 & 13 - Wife is a teacher. When I retire in two years. we will have just three more summers with both boys.

We did a lot with the Boys all through High School and College, one Christmas we flew them both to Las Vegas and met them there, saw the town then headed in the RV to Zion and Bryce - Dec 21 - hiked to the top of Angles Landing, with only a couple others, in shorts and T's leaving the next day to arrive in Bryce in 8"'s of Snow for the most Beautiful Sunset, with the Snow on the Hoo Doo's, Awesome - then followed one in and with the RV as he played Pro Lacrosse for 10 years, Now he lives in Colorado and we still spend weeks with them...........some of us just get lucky. Here's hoping for you to Get Lucky. [emoticon]

So this is bit of a practice run. Shoot across the mountains, see some sights, meet some family for the first time. Drink Beer.

Golden RV park on Clear Creek and Coors Beer in town of Golden just outside Denver. Advise you to get reservations if you can not just here but pretty much everywhere, especially in popular areas - Cali will be interestingly difficult - just not the Same as it once was - one of My Boys Graduated from Whittier in Cali. so we spent a good bit of time there - doubt I will ever return - did a run into southern Cali about 8 years ago and it was just Depressing, as I knew all the area as a Kid.

After i retire these trips will begin on the last day of school and run until Late august.

Got it - be sure you have the rig well equipped to BoonDock or Wally Dock - Campendium.com has served us well as a travel resource - East coast is tough but the Beaches are Great as are the Mountains of North and South Carolinas, We just Love the Rockies, Lake Toxaway area is special.

Unless we find we hate it. then we'll do something else.

Setting your expectations is critical as to making it something you will enjoy - As long as I include the Granddaughters the DW still loves it.

But my goal (which i do not share out load ) is ALCAN Summer 2023.

We had that in the plan but MIL became an Issue so that was Cancelled and now is just a distant dream.

And my real dream is West Africa- Morocco to Senegal 2025 (not real optimistic about that one)

We did a little of Japan and China in the 90's and a Little Spain and Portugal earlier - but determined we had more we wanted to see here in the USA - we still have much to see and explore in the USA so the rest is not in the cards for me.

Hope this is not just me reliving but also a little informative for you - this last summer we really had to work to find places to Camp - both boys were able to work remotely - BUT - needed to be connected not easy near the Big most popular Resorts/National Parks.

So work hard on the plan - old engines tend to get hot when its warm and they are pushed - keep that in mind - Use Good Oil - remember it is harder to go DOWN than to go Up.

This will be a Great Trip!

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

That is the actual goal of the trip and if we blow an engine in the rockies and pull up in a rental car it will still be a success.

IF the coach is running good there should be nothing to cause an engine to blow.

If it heats up stop and cool it.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way to become a seasoned and experienced driver of RVs is to go everywhere. Take it one step at a time. Build your skills and watch your gauges. Know when to pull over and idle your engine and let your brakes cool off.

I don't get the concept of avoiding all the roads that aren't "easy." Some people should probably stay out of the mountains.

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

Couple notes on the old Revcon - Brakes - and Brake Lines - have them checked to be sure all is really in good shape - as you will make it up fine the going Down is the Issue. Couple years later my GMC developed pin hole - rust - leaks on the brake lines - loosing the brakes at 60 mph when traffic stops in front of you is a challenge - another story - but it required me to replace ALL the Metal brake lines on the GMC and the DW never felt comfortable again in that Coach.
s

Actually, i have a newly refirbished GMC. Well, it was newly refurbished in 2013 and my very dear friend became ill and gave it to me. I've have to go over the soft tissue but otherwise it's a fully updated coach, disc brakes all around, etc.

Great links- thank you

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be nice to the old GMC and enjoy the trip. Basic systems check and I would just go.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

Busskipper wrote:

Couple notes on the old Revcon - Brakes - and Brake Lines - have them checked to be sure all is really in good shape - as you will make it up fine the going Down is the Issue. Couple years later my GMC developed pin hole - rust - leaks on the brake lines - loosing the brakes at 60 mph when traffic stops in front of you is a challenge - another story - but it required me to replace ALL the Metal brake lines on the GMC and the DW never felt comfortable again in that Coach.
s

Actually, i have a newly refurbished GMC. Well, it was newly refurbished in 2013 and my very dear friend became ill and gave it to me. I've have to go over the soft tissue but otherwise it's a fully updated coach, disc brakes all around, etc.

Great links- thank you

You have not mentioned if you have given this a Good Test Run - If you have not then you might make a couple longer Craig's list Runs into Say Florida to be sure all systems are go for the big trip, My Coach sat for 7-8 years with only short runs to the Beach and a few tailgates - 1-200 mile runs - I took off to the Rockies this Summer - Yellowstone - and we had a number of system failures - I'm in a DP so more to be concerned about - Air level blew - Alternator had to be replaced - Shocks had to be replaced, age and Bad Roads - Turbo almost fell off - and last but not least blew the Transmission - so sitting is not good.

Again will try to follow your Adventure,

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

You have not mentioned if you have given this a Good Test Run - If you have not then you might make a couple longer Craig's list Runs into Say Florida to be sure all systems are go for the big trip, My Coach sat for 7-8 years with only short runs to the Beach and a few tailgates - 1-200 mile runs - I took off to the Rockies this Summer - Yellowstone - and we had a number of system failures - I'm in a DP so more to be concerned about - Air level blew - Alternator had to be replaced - Shocks had to be replaced, age and Bad Roads - Turbo almost fell off - and last but not least blew the Transmission - so sitting is not good.

Again will try to follow your Adventure,

Of course. A lot of balls in the air. I'm finishing the renovation of a new home, followed by rehabbing the current home for tenants. And i'm recovering from COVID (mild case but no energy)

In the middle of that i acquired the coach. I get little snatches of time to mess with it.

A new trans goes in the day after christmas.

After that I'll start commuting to work in it. (gets the same MPG as my excursion)

That will be a good test- lots of heat cycles and oil consumption.

Hopefully a 1000 mile run on presidents day weekend.

And then maybe a family trip for Spring Break to really test the process.

But we did 5000 miles last summer in the Excursion pulling a trailer. We're pretty road worthy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Best and worst routes across the Mountains ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.