|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> splicing aluminum to copper elec wire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Regardless I would not make a direct splice period even though there are splices designed for this issue..

Instead consider installing a plug and receptacle.

Place receptacle in a accessible location beside or near the oven, this now allows you to easily unplug and remove oven for future servicing or replacing. Gets rid of the al to copper interfacing issue and gives you an emergency means of disconnecting the oven..

For home, may require checking code to see if you need a service switch in addition to the receptacle..

I am a bit shocked that any appliance would come with a aluminum wire lead.. Typically there is an access panel that gives you terminals so you can add a pigtail with plug of your choice or you add your own wire to the oven terminals.. Check to see if there is a terminal box..

This is spot-on advice. Typically from what I've seen the receptacle is installed low on the wall in back of the range, and can be accessed without moving the range (albeit none to conveniently) by removing the storage drawer underneath the oven.

It runs through my mind that the electric code requires some disconnection means within some reasonable distance to the range, so a socket and plug or safety switch is needed if it doesn't happen to be quite close to the electric panel. I may be all wrong about that, though; I haven't verified that my memory and understanding is correct. Regardless, it's a good idea in any case.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will join the use the special connectors designed for the job chorus.

Avoid joining AL to CU if possible but if you must use the proper AL/CU or CU/Al connector for it is designed for the job.

Standard connectors not good for this. Corrosion will set in, resistance goes up and with a Stove or oven which are HIGH CURRENT devices.. bad things can happen (like fires)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what I used
NOALOX

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what is available today as far as ovens.We made a lot of aluminum wire at Olin but I wouldn't use it. Any sharp king or bend or just anything starts to act as dam, if you will, and resistance starts and heats up and over time can fail causing fire. At one time when Mobile Home manufacturers used aluminum wire, there was a tremendous percentage of them that went up in flames from using aluminum wire. Still a lot of it is used in high tension lines etc but I'm not upon the tech now. Rh special crimps or nuts for these dissimliar metals are a must.Aluminum under high electric loads get hotter at kinks joints and connections. and when in contact with copper etc any moisture in the air or on the connection will cause a lot of galvanic and other corrosion. When the wires get cold moisture is attracted and just like a metal spoon or glass taken from a freezer or refrigerator aluminum oxides form rapidly even in the driest of air.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the OP has not replied to any post yet, just posted last night so give him some time. I recall installing an oven in the kitchen of our house about 20 years ago. It was CU to AL connection, sing an oven and on a 40 amp circuit I think the wire sizes were #8 and #6, I used the CU/AL goop and split bolts. The connection was then wrapped rubber insulation tape followed by electrical tape. The connection was made in a large J-box with an extension (4-11/16” box) and cover in the cabinet below the ovens. Never an issue! I would never use twist on connectors on the size wire.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it's aluminum? That would be highly unusual. It's probably tin plated copper.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric stoves don't come with wire, they come with a terminal block that you connect your wire to. I suspect that the home has an aluminum wire going to the stove, since many houses built in the early 70's used aluminum for heavy gauge feeds like stove, dryer, and a/c. The terminal block on the new stove is probably labeled "Copper wire only."

The best way to wire this new stove is to terminate the aluminum wire coming out of the wall into a receptacle box that is Cu/Al compatible like this one at Lowe's.

[image]

Then get yourself a copper cord set like this to attach to the stove and plug in to the new receptacle.

[image]

This is the safest way to do this without replacing the wire, since you can't safely connect the aluminum wire directly to the range.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to Old Biscuit and Mexico.
do it right.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Alumiconn-3-Por........iminate%20intermixing%20of%20conductors.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Electric stoves don't come with wire, they come with a terminal block that you connect your wire to.
Op said Oven not stove if that matters.

I just put one in two years ago and the Kitchenaid electric oven most definitely came with an armored pigtail to be hardwired. No instructions to replace with a cord and plug.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> splicing aluminum to copper elec wire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.