|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

It's still like that with farmers helping each other when tragedy strikes.

Yes it is. I recall a tornado and it cut through an area where there is a scattering of Amish... One of the more amazing things is a bus load (or 2) of Amish.. First time most of 'em had ever rode in a motorized vehicle. Showed up to help rebuild.

I have a lot of respect for both family Farmers and Amish. But then as I said. Grew up on a dairy/Swine farm.

(I know politics is discouraged here but dairy farm experience comes in handy when listening to politicians speak ... Shoveled that stuff myself... by the ton [emoticon] )

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up in the ‘50’s in a working man’s neighborhood in Oakland, CA. One of the neighbors was killed leaving his wife and adult, mentally handicapped son without a source of income. Several men from the local garbage company went to her home and offered her son, Fernand, a job working with other men collecting garbage. He was very strong and could follow directions with supervision. At that time the men walked into the back yards carrying a large can on their shoulder and emptied two or three residential cans into it. I remember Fernand being very proud to be bringing his paycheck home to his Mama and supporting them both.

'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 12/20/20 09:17pm by down home *

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Yep, memories of a carefree youth. I also remember when candy bars were somewhat larger and only a nickel, such as mounds and almond joy. I don’t eat candy now, but you won’t find candy bars that cheap anywhere.

No they are NOT 5 cents now....closer to $1 and smaller

I get a kick out of some ads....New/Larger Size on sale now
Almost the size they use to be but not quite

We had a neighborhood store. In a residential neighborhood ---no other retail within miles
Small Grocery/meats/soda pop and candy type of store
Only 3 blocks from home

Would collect pop/beer bottles and trade them in for pocket money which we typically turned around and bought candy with

Although NOT a candy per se......Brothers Cherry Cough Drops. Eat the WHOLE Box in one setting. Delicious cherry flavor

[image]

Yes, I Remember buying those Smith Bro’s cough drops and sucking on them like candy. I don’t recall the ingredients, but I don’t think there was any real Medical ingredient that could be specifically dangerous. The drops were closer to being candy than medicine and I think most kids treated them as such.

* This post was edited 12/17/20 04:08pm by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old US-66 the mother road ran by one place we lived in NE Oklahoma. Rode my bicycle about a mile picking up pop bottles to a community grocery store and sold them for 2 cents a piece. Old 66 roadside was full of pop bottles and generally a dozen to the mile. Made my self and sometimes my buddies candy money.
I have about two dozen of those old pop bottles cleaned and stored in a box sitting on a top shelf in the garage. One of my favorite is a DR Pepper with the label mis placed about half way around the bottle.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Fifty cents an hour. Armando Dianda. Throwing 90 pound sacks of almonds onto a flatbed wagon in an orchard. He had a three cylinder
Massey Furgeson tractor with a concrete 4th cylinder. Wrap a tree with a piece of conveyor belt. Pull it taut. Rev the engine. Shook all the nuts onto the ground. 100°F summer work. A day's pay would buy a tank full of Flying A. And have a couple bucks left over.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Yep. Fifty cents an hour. Armando Dianda. Throwing 90 pound sacks of almonds onto a flatbed wagon in an orchard. He had a three cylinder
Massey Furgeson tractor with a concrete 4th cylinder. Wrap a tree with a piece of conveyor belt. Pull it taut. Rev the engine. Shook all the nuts onto the ground. 100°F summer work. A day's pay would buy a tank full of Flying A. And have a couple bucks left over.

What's a "concrete 4th cylinder"? An inquiring mind wishes to know.

katmann343

Murphy,Texas, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My mother would make my shirts from flower sacks.

2006 F 350 PSD King Ranch
2004 Hitchhiker II LS UKTG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.