|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Factory Floor Repair at Keystone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,

Just sharing an evolving story to see if anyone has experience. We have a 2018 Keystone Outback and started noticing a soft spot on the floor directly in front of our stove/oven area. The weird part is 1- we have been paying to have the dealer complete a pressurized leak check each year which it passed perfectly showing no signs of leak and 2- the spot is along the edge where the floor meets the kitchen slide and is in the middle of the slide, and there are no soft spots around that said area. So the water if leaking down a wall would have to come down the wall and make a turn to this spot without damaging anything else along the way.
Not sure if that made sense, but at least to me that limits the damage to something that has happened from the underside (which is sealed and visibly appears tight). The dealer did some digging and did see it was wet and was as perplexed as I am trying to figure out where the water came from. Anyway, I got a call from Keystone today saying they are going to fully cover the repair but they want to do it at the factory. They will be covering all charges including transportation from PA to IN.

I'll update as I hear more, but I am curious if anyone has every had a factory repair done, and what your experience has been.

Thanks all!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will be interesting to hear of your, and others factory repair experience.

Could towing in the rain, have caused this issue, and water coming from the under side?

Good luck,

Jerry

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you're being treated better than 95% of owners with respect to warranty. Can't get any better

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were you, I would get something in writing on how long it would be before you get it back

Guy

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no leak the floor is foam and they cut grooves in it for wiring.Sadly they did it in a high traffic area and the foam is failing .

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common problem with foam core floors.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea....... They for sure know something....

I can count on 1 finger how many times a manufactured (especially Keystone) Not only offers to cover ALL the repairs, BUT also offers to transport BOTH WAYS .. Without any argument ???

WOW... It must be something bad .. sorry for that

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, foam flooring.

It's actually used by several manufacturers in 4-season trailers for it's insulation value.

Problem is, over time can show travel wear which is exasperated by occupants body weight.....yes it actually has a weight limit that's not disclosed.

Our last 2 trailers were foam flooring without issues but we tippy toe.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the curbside wall ahead of the entry door bow out on our 2008 Terry. Dealer confirmed it was an issue and the factory paid for repairs. They had a transporter pick it up in our driveway and take it to a factory repair facility in PA where it was fixed and returned to us about 2 months later. Only explanation we got was that "they forgot a few screws"....

We got lucky....a week after they brought the rig back to us (Fall 2008) Fleetwood went Ch 7 and they padlocked all the facilities. Folks that had warranty repairs in progress had to wait for their rigs to be released by the bankruptcy court.

Good news, if the factory is taking it back it will be fixed right! I would be worried if the dealer was going to try and fix it. Glad you got it fixed under warranty, be patient and be happy!

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 01:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Yep, foam flooring.

It's actually used by several manufacturers in 4-season trailers for it's insulation value.

Problem is, over time can show travel wear which is exasperated by occupants body weight.....yes it actually has a weight limit that's not disclosed.

Our last 2 trailers were foam flooring without issues but we tippy toe.

Its actually used in 75% or more of trailers, most advertised or claimed to be lightweight, 4 season has little to do with it.

The foam compresses or loses its bond to the thin plywood resulting in the soft area and flexing. Add to that some manufacturers use a minimal number of aluminum tube in the assembly which may be as far apart as 4' on center or further.

Keystone does not vacuum bond those panels, they use a pinch rolling system, two different processes and vacuum bonding is much better. Even the manufacturers who vacuum bond have issues. Some Forest River brands such as Rockwood/Flagstaff have recently went back to plywood/OSB floors due to the number of issues. Its common with laminated floors.

Unless they completly disassemble the trailer and replace the entire floor, any repair will be cobbled together. Even then, if they replace the bad floor with the same type of assembly, chances are it will happen again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Factory Floor Repair at Keystone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.