RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Factory Floor Repair at Keystone

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Factory Floor Repair at Keystone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bucky

Raleigh metro

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/15/20 03:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the factory screwed the pooch in the initial build why would their repair be better than anybody else's?


2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 12/15/20 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I keep thinking of is when the Grinch tells the Cindy Lou Who, he's taking the tree back to his shop at the north pole because there's a light out.

May be perfectly legitimate but I would still want an explanation of what's going on...and missing a few screws isn't legitimate excuse.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/15/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhat reluctant to post this but......buyer beware regarding foam floors.

My sister's best friend bought a brand new trailer last year, she's a rather robust lady in stature and went completely through the floor and was held hostage until help arrived.....true story.

I'll only add, it wasn't Keystone.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/15/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Somewhat reluctant to post this but......buyer beware regarding foam floors.

My sister's best friend bought a brand new trailer last year, she's a rather robust lady in stature and went completely through the floor and was held hostage until help arrived.....true story.

I'll only add, it wasn't Keystone.


I know you said reluctant to post, but a pic of this event would be great!

Jerry





kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/15/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

kellem wrote:

Somewhat reluctant to post this but......buyer beware regarding foam floors.

My sister's best friend bought a brand new trailer last year, she's a rather robust lady in stature and went completely through the floor and was held hostage until help arrived.....true story.

I'll only add, it wasn't Keystone.


I know you said reluctant to post, but a pic of this event would be great!

Jerry


We think alike.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 12/15/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

kellem wrote:

Yep, foam flooring.

It's actually used by several manufacturers in 4-season trailers for it's insulation value.

Problem is, over time can show travel wear which is exasperated by occupants body weight.....yes it actually has a weight limit that's not disclosed.

Our last 2 trailers were foam flooring without issues but we tippy toe.


Its actually used in 75% or more of trailers, most advertised or claimed to be lightweight, 4 season has little to do with it.

The foam compresses or loses its bond to the thin plywood resulting in the soft area and flexing. Add to that some manufacturers use a minimal number of aluminum tube in the assembly which may be as far apart as 4' on center or further.

Keystone does not vacuum bond those panels, they use a pinch rolling system, two different processes and vacuum bonding is much better. Even the manufacturers who vacuum bond have issues. Some Forest River brands such as Rockwood/Flagstaff have recently went back to plywood/OSB floors due to the number of issues. Its common with laminated floors.

Unless they completly disassemble the trailer and replace the entire floor, any repair will be cobbled together. Even then, if they replace the bad floor with the same type of assembly, chances are it will happen again.
I bought a new ultralight and after a one week vacation traded it in on a new conventional floor trailer when I got back. The floor felt spongy from the beginning and I figured it would only get worse. A decision I've never regretted.

Cecilt

Page

Senior Member

Joined: 10/18/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/15/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting. We have a 2014 Keystone Outback with a kitchen slide(stove and refrigerator), an island with the sink in front and a backside slide that is 19' long by 36". The entire floor when you retract the kitchen slide has progressively gotten soft. We did a water test and did not find water. Under the sink(island) the flooring is solid. Getting soft areas in front of the island between the island the very large single slide as well.

Conclusion is the foam has broken down. Too much weight with the refrigerator and stove constantly going over the floor. In addition, not enough lateral support between joists. You can almost tell where one support is and it is almost 4' apart from the next.

It really ticks me off as when it it time to sell it will be very hard as someone will think water damage or just not want to deal with a soft floor on an otherwise TT that looks 6 months old inside and out due to how I treat and take care of this unit.

I never tried to go after Keystone since I am so far out of warranty but maybe there is hope. Doubt it though.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/15/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cecilt wrote:

Very interesting. We have a 2014 Keystone Outback with a kitchen slide(stove and refrigerator), an island with the sink in front and a backside slide that is 19' long by 36". The entire floor when you retract the kitchen slide has progressively gotten soft. We did a water test and did not find water. Under the sink(island) the flooring is solid. Getting soft areas in front of the island between the island the very large single slide as well.

Conclusion is the foam has broken down. Too much weight with the refrigerator and stove constantly going over the floor. In addition, not enough lateral support between joists. You can almost tell where one support is and it is almost 4' apart from the next.

It really ticks me off as when it it time to sell it will be very hard as someone will think water damage or just not want to deal with a soft floor on an otherwise TT that looks 6 months old inside and out due to how I treat and take care of this unit.

I never tried to go after Keystone since I am so far out of warranty but maybe there is hope. Doubt it though.


Keystone may have rectified that issue as our 2020 Outback has the aluminum floor joists on 18" centers.

ken56

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 01/12/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/15/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must have a wonderful dealer to have gotten Keystone to fix it. I have a 2017 Laredo and it has the same problem. Foam core floor is getting soft and my efforts with Keystone have not gone anywhere. They certainly know there is a problem but they refuse to offer a factory fix for these defective floors because they know it is a huge problem. They could open a whole repair facility to do just this repair because it is so prevalent. Good luck to you.

kfp673

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/16/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback. One point to note is that the dealer did say they found the sub floor wet. So while I have heard about foam floors getting soft, the rest of the trailer (37') is rock solid. It is a very specific spot. I suspect they did a poor job of isolating it from water being thrown up when towing in rain. That said, and as many of you pointed out, I also suspect they have seen this before and know what the issue is. I pushed hard on my dealers service department to advocate for us and it sounds like they must have done that, but I was as shocked as you all when they called me and said they want to cover it. I have already had them deny a handful of claims so I was fully prepared for "You did not maintain the trailer properly" reply.

Thanks again all

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Factory Floor Repair at Keystone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.