|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Receiver Bike Racks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Swagman is a non pivoting model, so you can't open the tailgate/hatch with bike on it. It's a small nuisance I'll gladly deal with fomit being so solid. I think I only paid $230 for it from Etrailer on Memorial Day weekend (sale). Carried 4 bikes to Colorado and back from IL and they never moved one bit. Love the positive ratcheting clamps they have to hold the bikes in place. And one of the bikes is a heavy fat tire bike!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

covered wagon wrote:

Thule Made in Sweden I think is very good quality. I use mine all the time. It is so solid I can use it to stand on going in and out the back door of my truck camper. It also has a built in tightening nut to stop the wiggles. It swings down when not in use.

I got an rv type bike rack for free and only had one single bar to hold the bikes. It was not right as the bikes would swing side to side. So I got the Thule and they all have two bars. Very high end with excellent quality stretch bands to hold the bikes. I would look at Thule.

Very high priced, paying for a name.

I bought it because it is well built. Bought off craigs.

Like I said I had an RV bike rack and gave it away it was not good. It was a commonly heard name brand.

Just look at Thule you will see why the name is good. I know I had to use a pry bar to be open my mind and look see finally why indeed they are popular. I think Yakima and Thule are the best.

blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

[emoticon] Skip to 8:35 and you will finally see the difference. Took em long enough to get to the point! That has a similar tightening system as the Yakima "non-RV" model. On the Yakima it only has a lightweight hitch pin as a bit of a safety, the "expander" on the hitch tube (much larger than just the ball on the model shown) actually locks it in place. I would imagine this would be helpful regardless of on an RV or a car.

Dave

It's a good idea to have that "expander" thing, but it'd just delay the inevitable IMO.

I have(had) a 5 bike Thule rack that catastrophically failed on my trip to FL. Bikes dragging on the highway behind the RV, fun.

I am currently looking for a rack that is not a rear hitch rack. Don't trust them

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just today installed my rack as we started packing to head south and can’t imagine it failing. In fact both my hitch and the Yakima feel overbuilt - which I find comforting. Of course a 5 bike rack is handling a lot of weight extended out from the hitch greatly multiplying the stress on the receiver and hitch. Actually I didn’t realize anyone manufactured a 5 bike hitch rack. Other than a frame attached platform I can’t picture anything that would handle that load.

Dave.

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

gotsmart

a bit too late though

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Swagman Semi 2.0 Hitch Bike Rack on my Class C.
[image]

I used to have a Thule fork-lock tray rack. It is a good rack but I got tired of remounting the front tire and realigning it with the front brake every time I wanted to ride it.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blaczero wrote:

…..
I have(had) a 5 bike Thule rack that catastrophically failed on my trip to FL. Bikes dragging on the highway behind the RV, fun.

I am currently looking for a rack that is not a rear hitch rack. Don't trust them

Totally understand how you feel there. I had a hitch mounted rack fail on me, also, when going over a large bump several years ago. Did a bunch of damage to the trunk lid on the car it was attached to. Was carrying 4 bikes at the time. I realized afterward that (4 bikes) was just too much for that hitch mounted rack, even though the Thule (hitch mounted) rack was supposedly designed for up to 5.

Now, I wouldn't trust any hitch mounted rack, if I had to carry more than 2 bikes. After the Thule rack failed, I went to Yakima roof mounted racks. Soooo much nicer - Bikes sit on top of the car we tow behind the RV, are held in place by their front wheel, and do not touch each other. Easy to mount them up there and get them down, and they are out of the way, no longer blocking access to the back of the car like old rack did.

Yes, roof mounted racks are a bit more expensive and can be a little more work to set up initially. However, you can save a ton of $$ by getting them used, off of Craigslist or ebay. I saved several hundred by going that way.

I highly recommend you look into roof racks, if such will work for you.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just don't do what my BIL did... forget they are up there and drive into the garage. It was not pretty. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Dave

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the weight of the bikes that you want to mount on the rack. A couple of road bikes will weigh 40-50 lbs in total but a couple of mountain bikes will weigh close to 75 lbs and the weight of two electric bikes can be as much as 150 lbs that the rack needs to be able to support.
The Hollywood rack is the best for both standard and e-bikes but they are sold out until April 2021.

Geodude

Ottawa, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up a Swagman Current last week. Good for road, mountain, fat and ebikes up to 60 lbs per bike. Rock solid, the thing is a beast. It's mostly for use on our CUV but we figure we can use it on the truck when not towing or on the back of the trailer the odd time we can't get the bikes in the rear bay. We had to have the tilt feature because it'll be used on the CUV mostly, and we need to get into the back while the bikes are on.

The rack folds up and can stay on the vehicle when not in use, if you like. Swagman doesn't have a rack that is "RV Approved" AND tilts but from the manual, the Current is not RV approved due to the weakness of RV bumpers. In my case we have a frame-mounted hitch with a 3500 pound tow rating and a 350 tongue weight capacity so it's a big non-issue.

We've been using Thule roof racks up until now, most recently Uprides, but lifting bikes onto the roof is getting old and we want to use our sunroof without wind noise. Oh, and not have to worry about driving into garages while the bikes are on.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali HD dually with 6.6L Duramax and B&W Companion hitch

blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geodude wrote:

I just picked up a Swagman Current last week. Good for road, mountain, fat and ebikes up to 60 lbs per bike. Rock solid, the thing is a beast. It's mostly for use on our CUV but we figure we can use it on the truck when not towing or on the back of the trailer the odd time we can't get the bikes in the rear bay. We had to have the tilt feature because it'll be used on the CUV mostly, and we need to get into the back while the bikes are on.

The rack folds up and can stay on the vehicle when not in use, if you like. Swagman doesn't have a rack that is "RV Approved" AND tilts but from the manual, the Current is not RV approved due to the weakness of RV bumpers. In my case we have a frame-mounted hitch with a 3500 pound tow rating and a 350 tongue weight capacity so it's a big non-issue.

We've been using Thule roof racks up until now, most recently Uprides, but lifting bikes onto the roof is getting old and we want to use our sunroof without wind noise. Oh, and not have to worry about driving into garages while the bikes are on.

Thanks for the replies. To be clear, the bike rack itself failed, not the bumper and hitch.

Right now I tow with a f350 so don't have the option of a roof rack, might look into something that goes on my hard Undercover bed cover. Maybe break down and put them in the bed and lose all that space.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Receiver Bike Racks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.