|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Security

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone, curious to see how you guys are securing your campers

I will be living full time in my rig , splitting my time between nature and the city. I am looking for a secure place to park with a hookup to electric/water on the days i work but until i find something i like, i may be parking in random spots around NYC and im slightly concerned about that.

I feel like this vehicle is going to be attracting a lot of attention

Would appreciate some guidance on how to keep my vehicle safe and secure both while im inside sleeping and while im away from it working

thanks!

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been waiting on this guy to update his install but he went with PacLock locks for his Bigfoot TC. Same issue as you having to deal with the crackheads looking for easy money.

https://youtu.be/bvY1yvvmUFE

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHAT?
When you can put strong latch and padlock on cardboard box - it will not make it secure.
In my area we do have lot of burglaries done by small thief seeking opportunity.
Those people will run away once they spot camera door bell.
On my property I have Kuna light/camera. It will turn audio greetings and lights at any movements and start recording to WI-FI cloud.
When the recording is not much useful as neighbors experience, once thief realize he/she has been spotted - they aboard.
Old remedy is put worn size 13 shoes next to the door.
With cordless grinder any chain is 20 seconds detour.

* This post was edited 12/17/20 09:39am by Kayteg1 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strategic placed empty 12ga shells around the camper?

Get a security system for the truck. And a Ring for the camper maybe, but bringing a portable house into the city and parking it on the street just comes with some risk of theft.
Most important, good insurance coverage I’d say.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YOu need a security system when you are not there or someone to look after your rig.

I like 3 dogs and a heater for when I am there.

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you realize that police cars get stolen in New York City you will be aware that nothing is safe there. Some parts have had the cobblestones stolen from the roadway. Good luck and make sure you put a gps tracker on both the truck and camper so you will know where they went.
On edit: former NYC dweller for 28 years.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot imagine trying to stay in a camper in NYC. Parking is difficult even for a small car and much of the parking is expensive.

Now if you a talking about the suburbs outside of NYC there are endless opportunities. Here on Long Island there has been an RV at my local library for years. I rarely go shopping, since Covid, but I believe there is at least one RV parked in a nearby strip mall parking lot.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I have been waiting on this guy to update his install but he went with PacLock locks for his Bigfoot TC. Same issue as you having to deal with the crackheads looking for easy money.

https://youtu.be/bvY1yvvmUFE

Probably no update b/c the locks got defeated by any number of easy methods. Likely too embarrassed by how much he blew on those things only to be thwarted by some junkie. LOL

OP:
Not to be too pointed, but you're doomed if you're parking on the surface in NYC.
I think you'd literally have to take EVERYTHING with you each time and leave it parked with all the doors and storage hatches wide open to show they were empty and not to have the locks punched.
Like someone said, as far as security, it's an expensive cardboard box.
And cameras are a joke to thieves/junkies. They couldn't give two schits if you take their picture. Look at all the doorbell cam vid's on YT. And yes, they know what a doorbell cam looks like....

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks guys, im actually looking for a parking spot in a quiet neighborhood in someone's drive way where ill be a lot more low key but there may be times where i need to park/sleep on city streets. Im in queens and there is a lot of residential options too. I realize this is a bit ambitious of me, but i only work 16 days per month so my plan is to spend most of my time upstate in the mountains. I need to figure out how to be safe when i commute to the city for work. I have an alarm picked out for the truck itself, as far as the camper itself, i found some sirens/alarm but was really curious to see if there was any standout product that we;re all using. thanks for the info

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. When I was stationed overseas, we used to find and pay a local "neighbor" on the street to watch our American cars while in a restaurant or store. When I traveled, I had to park overnight in paid lots with security on site. You may have to seek the 21st century equivalent.

2. You can get portable driveway motion detectors and mount them high on the TC facing down. They will issue a loud chime when someone approaches and could act as a deterrent. They will also false alarm at wind, some passing vehicles and small animals to add exciting entertainment to your evening if you are inside.

3. I rigged my back up camera on the TC so I can view the video feed while inside the TC. Three more cameras and I could monitor everything around me.

4. Your truck alarm can be activated by your key fob while in your TC.

As far as securing on the street; I suggest you retrofit a used armored car into an RV.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Security
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.